A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m booked for a talk on Dementia Awareness this evening at my friend`s Church.

I had a practice run earlier just to time myself and was fine until I began to talk about TP and how everyone shared my grief when he died. I became very emotional and was unable to continue.

This is four and a half years on and was very unexpected.

I`m not sure what I will do tonight, whether to go ahead with what I have prepared or skip the piece which affected me so much.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
@Grannie G Well done for doing this talk Sylvia :)
I’m sorry it has triggered unexpected emotions. Whatever you decide to do tonight, I’m sure you’ll be fine x
Even if you did get upset, im sure people would understand.
Sending you (((hugs)))
Lindy xx

love.dad.but..

Jan 16, 2014
Kent
It catches you by surprise doesn't it. I had a completely out of blue tearful wobble a couple of weeks ago mentioning my mum who died nearly 5 years ago as I was talking about my late dad's dementia to someone.

It is wonderfully valuable that you share your experience not just on TP but further afield. Could you adjust the bit a little to lessen the impact on you.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Part of me thinks you should rewrite that bit but part of me thinks you should go ahead. I think people need to see the impact dementia continues to have after a loss. Still, if you feel that wouldn’t be good then perhaps adjusting it would be best. Good luck and very well done.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Sylvia have you tried another practice run since the first? The emotional impact might not hit so hard - emotions can be unpredictable and it was unexpected for you. Whatever you decide to do being emotional will do no harm and as Izzy said people need to see the impact of dementia and how it continues.

I do admire you for doing this and I am sure you will do it well.

Loo xxx

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I hope you are able to include it Sylvia but can understand how it is affecting you. I still fill up when I talk of not only losing Dave but the support I received at the time from friends on TP.
Well done for doing this. I do admire you and doubt that I could get through such a talk without breaking down,
The very best of luck whichever way you choose to present it. x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Folks.

I haven`t been through it again , I put it away and cleaned both my GTech filters. :D

I`m leaving it as it is and if I feel able to include it I will , otherwise I`ll skip it.

I would like to include it because TP was so important to Dhiren as well as to me and I`ll never forget how wonderful everyone was when he died.

It`s one thing posting about it and not having eye contact with anyone and quite another talking to a room full of people.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I can`t believe it!.

I just said to myself, " I`ll just have a cup of tea before I go and a cigarette to calm me down."

I haven`t smoked since 2000 , have none in the house and needless to say wouldn`t dream of buying any. :eek:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I can`t believe it!.

I just said to myself, " I`ll just have a cup of tea before I go and a cigarette to calm me down."

I haven`t smoked since 2000 , have none in the house and needless to say wouldn`t dream of buying any. :eek:

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I can`t believe it!.

Easy to do, Sylvia, and just shows I think how psychologically addictive smoking is! I haven't smoked since 1987, and yet, as soon as I get on the phone, I find myself holding a pen like a cigarette, or if I'm in a stressful situation, I do the same thing. I used to work in a very busy office (before the ban on smoking in the work place was ever thought of!), and every time my phone rang, I automatically lit a cigarette!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It went well.

I did talk about Dhiren and TP but not about when he died and how TP rallied round me. That was where I became so emotional this morning.

Anyway it must have been all right because someone has asked me to talk to another group, the British Gas retired employees association. :)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Well done indeed. Not easy, to speak in public, and make yourself vulnerable like that. You obviously spoke well. Congratulations.

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Just caught up with your thread Sylvia after my few days away. What a lovely and difficult thing to have done.

I’m sure it will never be easy no matter how many times you do it so well done and thank you for doing it. The more understanding and knowledge people have about dementia and how it affects both Carer and the cared for can only increase people’s awareness of the impact demenia has on our lives.

There can’t be a better way of getting the message across than listening to someone talk about their personal experiences. Good luck with all your future talks.

Status
Not open for further replies.