Need advice I'm new!

Lucy89

May 10, 2018
Hi everyone,

My mum is 55 and was diagnosed with Alzheimers 4 years ago.

She's rapidly getting worse no short term memory, can't find words (makes no sense when talking), regularly argumentative for what seems like no reason the list goes on.

I guess my question is what's next? I know everyone different and its like asking how longs a piece of string but what can we expect?

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Lucy89
and welcome to TP
how tough for your mum and you to have had a diagnosis at such a young age
she's fortunate to have you looking out for her
it's so hard to say how your mum will be affected - you might have a look at the information on the main AS site - the link is at the very top right of this page - you'll also find a link on the AS site to their directory of local services; maybe visiting a local carers/dementia café and chatting to others in similar situations might help
do keep her GP up to date with changes in her condition, so they have a full picture - it may be that some meds, or a tweak in her current meds, may be able to help
there's lots of information and understanding on offer here - so keep posting with anything that's on your mind

NORTHSIDE

Jan 28, 2017
Northumberland
Hi everyone,

She's rapidly getting worse no short term memory, can't find words (makes no sense when talking), regularly argumentative for what seems like no reason the list goes on.

I guess my question is what's next? I know everyone different and its like asking how longs a piece of string but what can we expect?
Hi Lucy, sorry to hear about your Mum. My wife is now 59 and was diagnosed with Alzheimers 5 years ago. She has all of the issues you mention. Currently she is obsessed with finding her, mum, dad, Gran and the cat all of whom died many years ago, this is from the moment she wakes up until she falls asleep. She uses it as an excuse not to do things e.g. 'would you like to have a shower' reply 'No I need to find my Dad' and so on. She also talks to someone in the mirror, quite often it's very light hearted and ends in laughter so I just let her get on with it. In truth I'd rather not know what's to come, for me it's easier to take a day at a time. Still some nice moments though, every now and then she tells me she loves me, funnily enough these can be the hardest moments. Good luck with looking after your Mum, I'd try not to look too far ahead.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Hi Lucy I’m sorry you are having such a hard time with your Mum.
Stay strong it’s the only advice I can offer & we are all here if you need to talk x

Malalie

Sep 1, 2016
Hello Lucy and welcome here.

It must have been devastating for you and your family to find that your Mum developed Alzheimer's at such an early age. I'm very sorry.

Reading around this forum can be quite scary - and some or none of those things could happen to your Mum. Each person with dementia is different, the same as each person on this forum is different. Just take things day by day and try and be informed about what is changing in your Mums mind This video is helpful with trying to understand why Mum is not like "Old Mum."

https://dementiapartnerships.com/resource/dementia-friends-bookcase-analogy/

I hope that helps a bit, and do keep posting - lots of friendly experienced people here.

sford91

Nov 4, 2015
Hi Lucy

My mum has front lobe dementia and was diagnosed at 56 she is now 59. If you want to talk I am here
x

Ali48

May 5, 2018
Hi everyone,

Hi Lucy I'm Alison my mum is 81 and she to has no key words when talking and gets very argumentative too I've realized it's because she knows what she wants to say but because she can't remember the words she needs she gets frustrated. What I've leant to do is try to ask her simply questions and then carefully listen to the words she remembers and try to put them into context with the question I asked and most of the time I work out what her answer is I know it sounds complicated but it does work....well most of the time! Hope this helps. Always here if you need to talk or vent no probs.

chloehvy

May 4, 2018
Hi Lucy
I'm 21 and my Mum is 53 and just diagnosed 2 months ago
Whilst I don't have any advice on what is to come as my mum isn't at that stage yet - I'm here if you want to talk to anyone in a similar boat too
So sorry you're going through this - you're not alone xx