You’ve got to laugh...

Mudgee Joy

Dec 26, 2017
New South Wales Australia
Hi Amethyst- I started a thread once when i needed some specific info about travelling with my H - it was great -
I tend to browse - looking for likeminded souls to ease the way. Most everyone and everything helps on TP
.. my time on TP is a bit restricted to evenings - whilst sitting with my H as I am now - he now is watching football - not some thing I enjoy - but I can text while he watches !! Thanks for your thread - sometimes I drop in :) MJ :rolleyes:

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
If I’m poking my nose in where it isn’t wanted, then just ignore me. But have all of you got your own threads? I do find it’s easier to keep up with people’s news ...and for the person who ‘owns’ the thread, all the responses are in one place. I use my thread like a diary, in fact I have stopped keeping my journal now. I regard my thread as a ‘room’ where all are welcome.

Of course you aren’t poking your nose in! I am like mistletoe, sticking to other people’s threads, hijacking them too! But such fun I’m having! Love C.

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
Oh Yes! Keeping a sense of humour is my motto and certainly helps.
Our kids are helping me to declutter just now - wardrobes, drawers etc. - not easy with resistance from my husband but we joke as we go. What I did not find funny was that while I was inside recovering later with a glass of wine!!, Alan demolished our old rabbit hutch which I used for storing garden stuff - pots, trays, bags etc. Now they are all over the place. He thought he was 'helping'. You have to laugh!

Or getting his own back! :D

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
Oh Imsoblue !! That’s so sweet !! Thank you x I shall look out for Glen Close movies !!
Nooooo. Her very best was Fatal Attraction with Michael Douglas. That was not her best side. Another is The Big Chill. Best movie EVER! Her hair was curly in those. I think you resemble her when I've seen her just being herself. She is a natural beauty

imsoblue

Feb 19, 2018
If I’m poking my nose in where it isn’t wanted, then just ignore me. But have all of you got your own threads? I do find it’s easier to keep up with people’s news ...and for the person who ‘owns’ the thread, all the responses are in one place. I use my thread like a diary, in fact I have stopped keeping my journal now. I regard my thread as a ‘room’ where all are welcome.
What is the name of your thread? Do I just name it @imsoblue? It is 5 minutes until my meeting and I have had to miss work and cry all day. This is a teaser: except for my 2 boys, everyone turned against me including lawyer brother Paul. Only attendees tonight are me, Sons 1 and 2, That One, and OH....SS made snide remarks that they would never attend a meeting without their dad. I had to answer in text, you both did 2 months ago and no one had a problem with it. I wish y'all could all be here with me as reinforcements. Apparently this family doesn't know what dementia is all about. Really it is 4:58 and meeting begins at 5. Signing off. Wish me luck

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
Nooooo. Her very best was Fatal Attraction with Michael Douglas. That was not her best side. Another is The Big Chill. Best movie EVER! Her hair was curly in those. I think you resemble her when I've seen her just being herself. She is a natural beauty
Agree totally re The Big Chill. Along with Broadcast News. HOW I loved those films!

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
What is the name of your thread? Do I just name it @imsoblue? It is 5 minutes until my meeting and I have had to miss work and cry all day. This is a teaser: except for my 2 boys, everyone turned against me including lawyer brother Paul. Only attendees tonight are me, Sons 1 and 2, That One, and OH....SS made snide remarks that they would never attend a meeting without their dad. I had to answer in text, you both did 2 months ago and no one had a problem with it. I wish y'all could all be here with me as reinforcements. Apparently this family doesn't know what dementia is all about. Really it is 4:58 and meeting begins at 5. Signing off. Wish me luck
Meeting will have started. I can’t believe re attendance!!! Thinking of you heaps.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
It is 5 minutes until my meeting and I have had to miss work and cry all day. This is a teaser: except for my 2 boys, everyone turned against me including lawyer brother Paul. Only attendees tonight are me, Sons 1 and 2, That One, and OH....SS made snide remarks that they would never attend a meeting without their dad. I had to answer in text, you both did 2 months ago and no one had a problem with it. I wish y'all could all be here with me as reinforcements. Apparently this family doesn't know what dementia is all about. Really it is 4:58 and meeting begins at 5. Signing off. Wish me luck

You will be in the meeting now. I hope all is going well. I know that you wont see this until afterwards, but I hope you could imagine us all standing beside you.
(((((hugs))))))

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I tried having my own thread, but I found that when things got bad I didnt know what to say.
I also think I bored the pants off everyone and just sounded like a moaning minnei

Grahamstown

Jan 12, 2018
East of England
What a great evening, on two counts. I got to the cinema with my friend to see the live relay from Covent Garden of the ballet Manon. It was absolutely superb and there is nothing like great art and music together, and a gut wrenching story of a great love. Total catharsis. It was so utterly brilliant depicting the great love of the hero for the flawed heroine through thick and thin that it was an emotional experience because that is the fate of those of us with loved ones suffering. The second great thing was that my son came and stayed until I got back quite late because it was theatre times, and had really done a good job looking after his father and keeping him safe. He also spent enough time on his own with him to see the reality. He asked me if Dad usually took a hot water bottle to bed with a puzzled look on his face and we really had to laugh because it is so bizarre when the weather has turned so warm and he still stuck to the routine. Apparently when he arrived and I had just left his father was on the way to the pub just as predicted. So he went with him for a beer and made sure it was the non alcoholic type and they had supper. Amazing how PWD become so predictable and so topsy turvey in their thinking. He kept telling him he could go now but our son stuck to the task and stayed until I got home, that is the best support in the world. I still feel quite emotional but that is a good thing to be able to let go occasionally.

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
You will be in the meeting now. I hope all is going well. I know that you wont see this until afterwards, but I hope you could imagine us all standing beside you.
(((((hugs))))))
Yes @canary beautifully put. Just adding my voice to yours. xxxxx

carolynp

Mar 4, 2018
S
What a great evening, on two counts. I got to the cinema with my friend to see the live relay from Covent Garden of the ballet Manon. It was absolutely superb and there is nothing like great art and music together, and a gut wrenching story of a great love. Total catharsis. It was so utterly brilliant depicting the great love of the hero for the flawed heroine through thick and thin that it was an emotional experience because that is the fate of those of us with loved ones suffering. The second great thing was that my son came and stayed until I got back quite late because it was theatre times, and had really done a good job looking after his father and keeping him safe. He also spent enough time on his own with him to see the reality. He asked me if Dad usually took a hot water bottle to bed with a puzzled look on his face and we really had to laugh because it is so bizarre when the weather has turned so warm and he still stuck to the routine. Apparently when he arrived and I had just left his father was on the way to the pub just as predicted. So he went with him for a beer and made sure it was the non alcoholic type and they had supper. Amazing how PWD become so predictable and so topsy turvey in their thinking. He kept telling him he could go now but our son stuck to the task and stayed until I got home, that is the best support in the world. I still feel quite emotional but that is a good thing to be able to let go occasionally.

So, so happy for you! Don't these special times stick out now?! So much to be grateful for and it warms my heart to read your words.

I had a wonderful day last Friday. What set it on its happy path was my morning walk through the underpass to our campus. It goes under the main road and there's a reasonably good echo. I once saw a group of friends singing a round as they went through. Anyway on this morning there was a four-five year old on her father's shoulders, calling "ECHO! ECHO! ECHO!" all the way through. Everyone who entered the tunnel, students, staff, others - had Friday expressions on their faces, careworn, worried about funding cuts ... but within an instant people started smiling at the little girl's joy and lack of inhibition, and everyone emerged from the tunnel beaming and laughing.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
My thread is
My thread is called, ‘Can I have time off to be ill?’ Here is a link. There is no way you will be able to read it all, I thas been going for months...but feel free to pop in any time!

https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/can-i-have-time-off-to-be-ill.103212/page-103

Last edited:

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I tried having my own thread, but I found that when things got bad I didnt know what to say.
I also think I bored the pants off everyone and just sounded like a moaning minnei
No, I loved it. And we are all moaning Minnies at times. It was somewhere I knew I could ‘find’ you, if I wanted to see how you were, or ask/tell you something. Now, I have to rely on seeing you pop up somewhere. I didn’t realise that we couldn’t change the names of our threads...mine seems out of date now, but it has the advantage of being familiar. I guess I’d we change the name, then people wouldn’t know it was us! I just mentioned the name, as I wondered if it was that, stopping you use your thread so much?

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
@imsoblue ...how was the meeting? I had a pretty disastrous one a while back with my husband’s son...it had the effect that I decided never to speak to him again!