Can I ... Should I?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I do not believe it. I’m speechless, well, almost, ok, not on here lol

Support Worker says Mum needs to see the district nurse. All this time with the meds mess has left her partialy incontinent & it’s causing issues

I phone the surgery & get told no. They don’t visit as she’s not housebound!

That, I’m not sure I have the energy for a full on complaint feeling, well, I’ve got the energy now.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
find your post from a couple of days ago about needing to go outside on path with 2 people for a trial and put that sort of thing in the complaint.

Joined up thinking would save a lot of angst (and probably money)

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
I’m sure I read somewhere that people over a certain age can have house calls whether or not they are housebound. Can’t remember exactly but it caught my eye because mum was over that age. That aside, can you, or even should you, drive after your op to get her there.,

Your life seems to be lurching from one aggravation to the next. Just when it seemed safe to relax a little...

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Do you have a Continence Service, Sam? John had to go there regularly, then when his mobility deteriorated and I asked for house calls, they said we don't do them, contact the District Nurses. We did and they eventually came out.

I'm glad you're on the mend. It must have escaped my attention that you had to have surgery done! Get well soon.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Sam, no advice, just some squishy ((hugs)) here that I thought might suit you.

Hope you got some sleep and aren't having negative effects from the anesthesia. Are you in much pain?

You can buy pre-chopped frozen onions here, and some grocers/stores even have chopped ones in a container in the refrigerated case. Maybe they do in your area as well? Or maybe it's a good day for a takeaway? Frozen pizza and salad? Anything quick and easy?

Havemercy

Oct 8, 2012
I do not believe it. I’m speechless, well, almost, ok, not on here lol

Support Worker says Mum needs to see the district nurse. All this time with the meds mess has left her partialy incontinent & it’s causing issues

I phone the surgery & get told no. They don’t visit as she’s not housebound!

That, I’m not sure I have the energy for a full on complaint feeling, well, I’ve got the energy now.
When mum (with dementia) needed three times week dressings we asked for the District Nurse to visit. They sent someone to her flat and (because she could shuffle along with her Zimmer a few yards) they said she had to come go the surgery - luckily a friend was able to accompany her in a taxi which we paid for as we all work. But your mum has issues of incontinence - what makes them say she is not housebound - and from reading your posts she has not been away from her home yet. Good luck with your complaint - it's really ridiculous that district nurses are refusing to visit. I would be asking for the contact details of the community matron. Best wishes.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
That aside, can you, or even should you, drive after your op to get her there...

Hi @Rolypoly I tried saying she’s housebound, when a doctor did call back (the only nice one), she tried saying the re eotionist meant xyz, but I quoted what had been said, I got an apology :). That’s a first

Nope, not allowed to drive, but they’d just tell me to put her in a taxi or get the bus :-(

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Thank you @Beate I am on the mend, but Mum is going to try going out the door next week, but the stroke team need a double visit as not safe with just one to support her.

The stroke team have referred Mum to the continence nurse, not sure how long that’s going to take :-(

It’s just the attitude of the surgery that’s getting me down.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Amy in the US hugs received, I just luv em :) thanks

I was a bit mush brain yesterday & am a bit muddled today, but so far, pain levels are fine. I’ve not even taken a painkiller & im not being brave, just not felt the pain.

I usually have a bag of chopped onions in the freezer, but I did a batch cook of bolognaise sauce & used them up, of course I didn’t think of getting more did I. Brain non functioning lol

We had curry yesterday & fish n chips today as takeaways.. it’s proper cooking tomorrow or I’ll be the size of a house

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Next time buy several bags of chopped onion!

I think the takeaway, even two nights in a row, can be forgiven. You can cook tomorrow, if you're up for it. Try to rest!

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @Havemercy

Mums surgery seem to have a “permanently housebound only” rule for home visits by the district nurse. I was less than impressed to say the least. She has an irritated / overactive bladder & I believe the messing about by the doctor not reissuing the prescription has resulted in her being slightly incintinent, resulting in skin irritations. The support worker said she needed a cream to sort it out. I’d go buy it if I could get out the house myself & it was an over the counter item :-(.

The receptionist seems to go out of her way to be awkward, some just do? Mum’s not left the house for a month, her balance is not good, add that she can’t be left, even if I could drive (or get a taxi) I can’t go out either. It’s just ridiculous & that’s the politest word I can think of.

The complaint is getting longer & longer & I have 3 places to complain through ... so far.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Mums freezer is tiny, @Amy in the US so I have to think of what I’ll need this week. I’m used to a chest freezer, so I struggle :-(.

I’ve told Mum that tomorrow is a lazy day. She’s agreed. I’ve said if she gets visitors I’m hiding :D

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
You think you might look the size of a house??

What I see is a huge mansion of care and compassion.

(If you understand wot I mean - trying to type/support after sampling local stuff cos it would be rude not to) xxx

Wewe dhahabu moyo

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Asante mama <3

Where are you now?? I’m searching for cheap flights for an April break, told Mum, just need to sort cover.

I checked the Fitbit & couldn’t understand how I did more steps & used more calories lying in hospital???

Margi29

Oct 31, 2016
Yorkshire
How are you this morning ??
No idea how fit bit still works on steps laying down???

All I can say is ' in April, you will be doing a lot of steps laying on the sunbed ' :D