So bizarre !

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning everyone,

It's not a bad idea to take the decs down a bit at a time, Slugsta - but I'm one of those people that once I start, I like to finish, lol. Dau and I tackled the decs on Friday - what a job! Took us 4 and a half hours to get 'em down, pack 'em away and put everything else back in place! I am determined to get a new tree for next year - ours looks great when up, but its covered in fake snow 'bits', lots of which transfer themselves to whoever is handling it, and then spread throughout the house - takes forever to hoover up every bit of it! By the time I'd done that, faced the supermarket, and did other bits and bobs, I was aching like fury :(

We've had really cold weather here, and mostly windy, grey and rainy to boot. Not nice at all. The next few days are forecast to be very cold, with warnings of black ice - but no snow (apparently) so not complaining.

I don't think son was as bad as the daughters, Spamar - mostly, he just tended to speak in grunts and spend a lot of time in his room! Youngest was what we would call 'very pass-remarkable' over Christmas, which cause a few rows - commenting (not to politely and sometimes very personally) about both of her siblings, and a couple of times about me or her Dad. Flew off the handle for no real reason several times, somehow finding something to offend her in the most innocent of remarks and as I said, her big sister, who she is really close too, even lost it with her a few times.

I went to see Mil yesterday, first time I've been solo to see her for quite a while, but OH has a run of 6 shifts and I wanted to check on her, after her not seeming too well to me on the last visit. She didn't have a clue who I was, calling me 'Christine' several times, though she still seemed pleased to see me, and spent a lot of the visit gripping one or both of my hands tightly. Amazingly, she had her bottom set of teeth in - staff had found her wearing them when they went to get her up - where they have been all this time is anyones guess. Another staff had found a set of upper dentures, in a male residents room and wondered if they were Mils - they seemed to match, but if you remember, I'd taken Mil to the dentist where both uppers and lowers had been altered and filled to deal with her receeding gums - and there was no sign of any filler on this upper set, so they can't be hers. Not that she wanted to put them in and try them anyway - she half heartedly attempted a couple of times in response to encouragement, then flat out refused.

There were a few things worried me during the visit. Her breathing still doesn't sound right - it wasn't constant, but frequent 'raspy' sounds, and quite a few times she did this odd thing of opening and closing her mouth, almost like a fish does, as though taking gulps of air. She does have COPD, as well as asthma, and I am wondering if after years of the COPD being very well controlled, if its now starting to have more of an impact?

At one point, there was an amazing flash of Mil's old humour, which blew me away! For no apparent reason, she crossed herself several time and when I asked what she was doing, she looked me straight in the face, sort of cackled with glee and as she crossed herself again, said "I'm doing 'spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch'" - she heard this in a film, years and years ago, and found it extremely funny at the time. I haven't thought of it in years myself - but she managed to pull it out from somewhere in her memory, leaving both me and near by staff laughing our socks off.

The palilalia that Slugsta identified for me, was very evident, as well - even more so than I have heard before. And sadly, a lot of instances of sudden and awful agitation. I lost count of how many times she suddenly clenched her fists, screwed her eyes closed and went almost rigid, and made this horrible, loud but gutteral 'Oohhhhhhhhhhh' noise, sometimes two or three times, usually followed by an agitated repetiton of a random sentence. 'It doesn't matter if I don't know her, no it doesn't matter if I don't know her, it doesn't matter, it doesn't matter if I don't know her'. I don't know if she was referring to me, or someone else. A few minutes later, another similar incident, but this time she was saying 'The eggs are in the kitchen, its alright, they are in the kitchen, the eggs are in the kitchen. I put the eggs in the kitchen'. And as I said, this happened quite a few times, and each time she added a repeated comment it was different and not connected to anything that had been said previously, as far as I could tell. Really, really odd. She also complained maybe 4 or 5 times that her back was sore - before I left, I asked if she could have some pain meds, just in case, and I also mentioned my concerns about her breathing.

One thing happened that has actually really annoyed me. One of the nurses came over to give MIl meds whilst I was there, and I found out that the GP has prescribed lorazepam along with the quetiapine. This hasn't been mentioned to us before. Mil was taken off lorazepam, about 2 years ago, after it was clear that it was actually making her agitation worse. A few months before she went in hospital, it was tried again - with the same result, and she was again taken off it. While she was in hospital, despite both OH and I warning them that it didn't agree with Mil, that it actually increased her agitation, they tried it again - and stopped it pretty damn quickly, when they realised that OH and I were right. Now all this should be in her notes, and yet once again she has been given this medication that - for whatever reason - not only doesn't help, but in fact makes her worse. I know that it's been presribed along with the quetiapine because the outbursts were worsening anyway, but what are the chances that its once again adding to the issue, rather than helping it? Apparently, it is known that in some instances it can have this effect on patients, so it's not a case of it being completely unheard of, it's not as though it's just Mil who has this response to the drug. I was so cross - I asked the nurse if the GP actually bothered reading Mil's notes, before writing a prescription? Or if anyone else did? I've made it clear that I want her taken off the damn stuff, asap. The nurse had said that they had also thought her breathing was 'off' and were planning on calling out the GP anyway, and she would speak to him then - lets hope he deals with the lorazepam at the same time. I'll be at the CHC review on Thursday, and I will be following it up then. Maybe the quetiapine - and the dosage of that has been increased, btw - will have a chance of working, if the lorazepam is removed.

I stayed with Mil for about an hour. Each time I see her at the moment, there seems to be something new, more deterioration, more difficulty for her with agitation and more 'distance' in terms of her having a clue as to who we are. In addition, her speech is getting more erratic, her mobility worse, issues with her being able to feed herself are increasing and some evidence of problems with swallowing are now being noted. And all of this is combining and clearly adding to the upset, frustration and unhappiness for her. Her life is so hard for her - and getting harder. So sad and so cruel. I am half hoping that the COPD is responsible for the issues with her breathing, rather than an infection, because if it is maybe that means the end is in sight for the poor thing. As long as she can be kept pain free and comfortable, it has to be kinder than this constant awful deterioration that is clearly giving her so much misery. I have hoped that her deteriorating might bring her some respite from the upset, but that's not turning out to be the case, and its just heartbreaking.

Sorry - seeing all this with Mil is playing on my mind an awful lot. I feel so useless because I know thre is nothing I can do.

Amy, JM, 2Jays, Amethyst and everyone else - hope you are all OK. Sending love to all xxxx

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Ann, I am so sorry that you are seeing very clear indications of deterioration in MIL's condition. That, along with the awful agitation, must be so hard to witness (((hugs))) I would also be furious about the lorazepam if I were in your shoes, I hope it is discontinued PDQ :mad:

It has been rather cool here today. Hubby and I went out with the intention of a walk along the prom but soon gave up and went in search of hot drinks :oops:

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
I must admit I would be furious about the drug too...I wonder if her breathing and this problem with mil speech will be better once the lorazepam is stopped. It doesn’t give much confidence when her notes said she shouldn’t have it.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Ann, I'm okay, but you don't sound very okay. I'm sorry about MIL.

I would be beyond furious about the lorazepam, and yes they had best discontinue that ASAP.

I also wonder if you will see any difference in her behaviour, when it has been discontinued.

I don't know much about COPD, other than what it is, but like with any long term condition, I am sure it could be having an impact on her health. I also don't like what you report about her breathing and agree that should be checked out.

Keep us posted when you can. I feel concerned about you, and MIL, and concerned about you being concerned about her, if that all makes sense.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Ann I'd be spitting feathers if I were you, why when medical people know full well that even for those with no major issues different drugs affect them differently do they think they know better than the previous person. Hopefully it is down to poor reading of the notes and not arrogance.

Had mum round tonight, she can still win at connect 4 when playing the kids. Her meal call is meant to be 6.45, but when I got there at 6.10 she was already eating and carer had gone. I checked care log and carer had written she was there from 6 until 6.15 - don't know whether to make a fuss or not. I was only checking to see what time meal call is normally and about 6.30 seems to be normal time. Mum happily ate a meal with us as well.

I also noted that they'd seen her with her son on the 5th - so at least the invisible has managed to visit her. I'd guessed as there was wrapping paper on the sofa.

I had part typed a longer update yesterday which seems to have disappeared. Have had neighbour round for a glass or 2 of white wine as her husband was ambulanced to hospital this morning with pneumonia, and she needed a break (her 36 year old daughter with mental health issues lives with her) so I'll try and post on the train tomorrow.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Phew, relief all round, dentist is off ill so appt cancelled! Saves me doing it! Have already opted out of lunch with friends, too far away, just couldn’t face it. Although, interestingly, I have no problems driving even further to meet up with one of them! Similar to my dilemma last year, no interest in going to a friends funeral, about 50 miles away, but happily went to Cornwall a week later, 6 hours drive! Why? OK I did the Cornwall stint in two parts, but even so!
Haven’t much time now, neighbour coming round for our weekly putting the world to rights! Then I shall go into town to pay papers, get some printer ink, get prescription, all things I meant to have done on Monday. Then I shall go to my fav coffee shop, get warm, and get enveloped in their world! Tomorrow I’m meeting up with a friend for coffee, haven’t had a good natter for ages! I shall enjoy that.
Might be back later today, found something I think I’m ready to share!
Have a good day, everyone.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hello everyone,

I'm sorry I haven't been around - its been a hectic few days!

I wouldn't be happy about the care log being falsified, JM :( It's bad practice and not honest. But - I can guess why the carer may have done it. When I worked home care, the 'rule' was that you must arrive within 15 minutes either side of the time set for the call. That, as far as I can tell, is pretty standard. So, if your Mum's call is set for 6.45, then the carer is supposed to arrive no earlier than 6.30. But this rule is rarely adhered to, because most home carers' rota's don't allow for any travel time between calls, the staff tend to start the calls anything up to 45 minutes early, especially on the evening round to allow for travelling between calls - the idea is by the time you get the the last couple of calls, you are more or less running on time, and those clients aren't left waiting to go to bed or have meds. I used to start early myself - but I didn't falsify the times, I was quite prepared if pulled on it to explain about the travel time, about why I had to start early - and let the bosses argue their way out of it!

Spamar, hope you enjoy your meet with your friend today x Don't blame you being happy about not having to go out at the moment, if your weather is anything like ours at the moment - its been so cold most days, and very grey and miserable to boot!

Very curious about what it is you are ready to share!

Thanks everyone for the support on the Lorazepam. I went to the CHC review yesterday, and I am very glad to report that the lorazepam has been stopped, and the two Community Mental Health nurses who carried out the review have arranged for a notification to go on the front of Mil's notes, saying that neither lorazepam, not diazepam (which is useless for her too) are to be given in future.

Before I arrived, these nurses had apparently actually spent over an hour going through Mil's file, and 30 minutes visiting with her. It's hardly enough to say that they 'know' her, but at least they spent time doing both those things, which is good. What was even better was that the staff at the CH have documented everything about Mil and these nurses were quite prepared to accept and believe what was recorded. They expressed sympathy at Mil's continued issues with aggression and delusions, noted that mobility has deteriorated badly, and didn't argue or try to play down anything that the staff had recorded - they also asked me what I had seen and what the family felt about Mil's current presentation.

The only 'fly' in the ointment, so to speak, is that on her notes, Mil is still recorded as having Lewy Body Dementia, despite us being told that this dagnosis had been reversed back to mixed vasc D and AZ well over 18 months ago. It may be in most cases that the actual diagnosis doesn't matter, as long as she is being looked after and any treatment given is appropriate. However, it emerges that the quetiapine she is currently being prescribed is only licensed for use with dementia's that affect the frontal lobe, like LBD - something I certainly didn't know. Which causes a problem - these nurses now have to track down if Mil's diagnosis had been changed (again) by the consultant in charge prior to her being discharged from hospital (if that's the case, it's another instance where we were not informed) or if its just a case of her notes were not changed to reflect the change back to mixed AZ and vascD. It may mean that the quetiapine has to be stopped - though because of the addition of lorazepam no one knows yet whether it will help or not anyway - and that will leave very little left for them to try in terms of medication to help her.

The meeting finished with these nurses telling me that the argument over whether or not Mil receives CHC will now be handed over to the panal, but that that I don't need to be concerned about it, as no matter what is decided, Mil will be 117 funded anyway. I can't tell you how good it felt not to come out of one of those meetings, feeling like I'd done several rounds in a boxing ring - I didn't have to argue or insist or deal with idiots that are more concerned with finance than the person!

The bad news is that I was sadly right to be concerned about Mil's breathing. She is currently pretty ill with a bad chest infection :( And at the meeting this was talked about, along with the fact that there is a marked deterioration in her health as regards the COPD, and that her inhalers have been changed to reflect this. I went to see her, staying only very briefly, because I am now full of a rotten head cold myself. Not that she minded that I kept my distance and gave none of the usual kisses or hugs in greeting or when I left - she didn't have the first clue as to who I was, very evident from the way she looked at me and her attitude, no recognition at all. Speech was pretty garbled and confused, only a couple of things she said were actually clear enough for me to understand. She asked me had I seen her son lately? I said he was in work, but couldn't make out what she said in response. And when one of the staff popped their head round the door to see if she was OK, Mil asked her was she 'going out tonight?'. Other than that, I didn't really catch any of the relatively few comments she threw in my direction. Her breathing is awful, she looks grey and - a mark of Mil really being poorly - she wasn't at all interested in the cake that had been left for her. It's already noted that we would prefer for Mil not to be taken to hospital, so now its just a case of seeing if the ab's work - or not. The COPD is bad enogh now that a chest infection is a very serious matter for her. The staff made a point of telling me that they would phone if there is any deterioration, which tells me that they are concerned too. So, we are sort of on high alert at the moment, and both OH and I with very mixed feelings, which I am guessing most carers on here will understand x Wanting this all to be over for her clashes badly with not wanting to lose her - it's a heck of a mash for your head to deal with.

Work manic this week - the parents of the young lady who passed away after her having her baby have been in touch - that was one heartbreaking phone conversation. And I've met with my group, who are determined to honour her memory, and so we are currently organising several fund raising events, the culmination of which will be several of my group, plus other friends of the young lady, taking on the 3 peaks challenge. Funds raised will be split between the charity I work for and the baby girl left behind, it's been decided by the group. I am so proud of them, they are so determined to do something positive in her name - and I think it's helping them all to come to terms with the loss x

Right - need to get sorted - cold or not, I have a morning at a wild life reserve, followed by a meeting this afternoon. A visit to Mil tomorrow, followed by a zoo day - depending on how Mil is.

Hope you are all OK - much love to you all xxx

Last edited:

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Sorry to hear the news re MIL

It’s such a rollercoaster time isn’t it

What wonderful people you work with. Their care and compassion towards the memory of their friend is lovely to read. Sad circumstances but a positive if you know what I mean

Hopefully today’s little jaunt into the wilderness isn’t too cold xxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Had a lovely morning talking to friend, we’ve booked for next month as well!

When I was tidying up Christmas stuff, I came across these cards in my card box ( mostly stuffed with photos of godchildren which had come with various cards!).

Bearing in mind OH was diagnosed in 2007/early 2008, but had dementia since at least 2004.

The first card read

To Spamar on your birthday in 2009 and with apologies for its absence in 2008 - due to staffing difficulties!
All my love and best wishes for the future. My thanks for your care if which I am well aware - but not always as grateful as I should be. Life without you would be unbearable - so stick around.
My love,
OH followed by lots of xxxxxx

The second card ( later than the first, but no date on it) read

To
My doctor,
My carer,
My memory,
My keeper,
My guide,
My loved one,
To Spamar

OHxxxxxxx

Sob!

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Oh, Spamar. I echo JM.
Ann - from my experience, I am glad for MiL that you've been able to state a preference on her not being moved. Be thinking of you. x
Love to you all.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Ann, it's always good to hear your updates.

What a decent and caring staff at the care home. They are clearly doing what they can, for MIL, and I'm impressed. As you say, what a pleasant change for you, to not have a confrontational or argumentative meeting about MIL's best interests.

I am, however, very sorry to hear about the chest infection. I think it's a good idea to keep her out of hospital and feel grateful the staff understand that. Do let us know how you find her when you and OH visit this weekend.

I hope it's not the same cold I have-wouldn't like to have given my germs to TP! Look after yourself as best you can, please, Ann. Work is keeping you busy!

Spamar, your story about the cards made me weepy. I hope your tears were healing ones, with a little bit of happiness as well as sadness. (((Hugs)))

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Oh Spamar - I'm another one who got choked up as I read about your cards. Like Amy, I hope the tears held a little happiness as well as sadness for you xxxx

2jays, I am so lucky with the people I support and work with. They are really determined to honour their friends memory and to try and do something positive, as you say, in her name. And my fellow staff, from Wales, have also waded in, and are holding mini-events to support what my group are doing. I am so, so proud of them.

Yes - it's a rollercoaster. I've explained to the CH that OH isn't allowed his phone in work (he doesn't even bring it into the building) so if they need to contact us, their best bet is to try me. For the first time yesterday, at a project, I kept my phone switched to full volume while I was working - I'd explained to the teacher I was with in advance - and when it went off, half way through the session, my heart damn near stopped for a second. It wasn't the CH, thank goodness, but it put me on pins. And I guess that increasingly, that's going to be the way of it for the forseeable future.

Red, when Mil was so poorly the Christmas before last, the assistant manager of the home had a chat with me about how we felt about Mil going into hospital, DNR and so on. I was glad that she did - and that she seemed to listen to and agree with what OH and I said we would prefer. I don't think - unless its a broken bone, or necessary to treat pain - that Mil will ever be admitted. And that's a relief. At this stage, the upset and stress it would cause her outweigh any other considerations, in our book.

Amy - so I can blame you for this lurgy? Only joking - it seems to be the same germs that hit OH and youngest, over Christmas - and I thought I had escaped it, only developing mild sniffles at the time they were full of it. Visiting Mil today isn't going to happen for me (nor is the zoo trip) I'm afraid. As the day went on yesterday, I felt worse and worse, and by last night I was going through tissues at a rate of knots, drinking gallons of ice cold pop to try and ease my throat, and feeling like I'd been hit by a bus. This morning, the cough has started, so I suspect I am in for a few miserable days. This coincides with OH starting his first stint at night shifts (the night shifts only come around once every 40 weeks or so, thankfully) - he has 7 straight nights, starting Monday. The timing, between me being ill and Mil being so poorly, just couldn't be worse!

We got the sad news, a couple of days ago, that one of Mil's nephews has passed away, very suddenly. I think I've explained before that it's a bit difficult to keep track of all Mil's nephews and nieces, as her 3 brothers between them, had nearly 30 children! However, this one, P, is one of the one's we had regular contact with and Mil used to be really fond of him - he was one who featured a fair bit in her confabulations, right up to just a few months ago, so she retained her memory of him for a long time. We try and keep the Irish family as informed as we can about how Mil is - tactfully, but not hiding the extent of her illness. Despite this, both OH and I were asked would we please go and break the news to Mil? It was surprisingly hard to explain why we couldn't, especially as they are obviously grieving for P too. I felt a bit like I was heaping more bad news on them, because it was clear that despite me thinking that they were aware of how bad Mil's dementia is now, they obviously weren't :(

Today, I am doing the bare minimum. I've had a very broken nights sleep, thanks to a bunged up nose, dry throat and coughing. I intend to get the place just 'tidy' enough for it to be comfy, tea is likely to be frozen pizza's and I am taking to the sofa with hot lemon and a hot water bottle. As always, next week is busy and includes a run to South Wales, so I need to try and know this lurgy on the head, this weekend!

Hope all of you are OK, sending lots of love, as always xxxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Oh, poor you! I felt a bit ill before Christmas, sore throat, for instance, but it seems to have cleared up! Phew!
My problem now is that the dishwasher has broken! Loads of dishes to do yesterday cos it hadn’t washed the ones that were in it! Stuck on weetabix, anyone? Yesterday I found it easy to do, no sore back or anything. As I said to friend with whom I had coffee yesterday, I really need someone to give me a kick up the ****! Gets lots more done that way!
After the lovely sunshine that was here yesterday, Its dull and cloudy at the moment. I feel another coffee coming on. Thank goodness for all our coffee shops that we have around here - and I only use those where it is possible to park very close to the door!

Glad you enjoyed the card saga. It’s his humour, even with dementia. Plus I had forgotten about them! But you can see why I was slightly reluctant to ‘publish’. But they do give the view of someone with the disease.

By the way, I’m thinking of moving house. If you wish to contribute, the thread, unsurprisingly, is called Moving House.

Have a good day, folks!

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Evening all,

Ann, I a sorry that you are feeling so poorly :( Not surprised that you have gone down with the lurgy as your immune system must be under a lot of pressure! The timing, of course, is typically awful. I am sorry that MIL is also very poorly, I know exactly what you mean by being 'on pins' when your phone rang (((hugs))).

Spamar, (((hugs))) for you too. The cards made me tear up, so heaven knows how it must have affected you.

I have had a nice couple of days having spent some time, on Friday and yesterday, with my cousin and her OH who were staying locally for a few days. I am tired and sore now, but it was worth it.

I hope everyone else is doing well.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Just popped in to see how you all are ... too much to comment on everything individually, but I’m sorry to hear you are ill, A, but glad about mil drugs and care being sorted, and lovely about the students doing the three peaks...bless them. Spamar, thank you for sharing your precious cards ...very, very moving. Bless his heart.

Last edited:

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Slugsta, I'm so pleased to hear you had a nice visit with family, even if it was tiring. Hope you're not in too much pain.

Ann, how are you feeling? I hope you don't have flu, or the disgusting cold I have had. It's really knocked me for six. I'm at my desk for the first time in a while; I have a lot to catch up on but not much energy or concentration. And I see it's snowing here again but I am not leaving the house today so I don't care. (We had snow and cold weather, and then two warm days where everything melted, and then ice and snow on Friday, and more snow today.) Tomorrow may be another story as I have got to get some prescriptions, or perhaps send OH for them.

I think I read that JM and her family have also been ill, perhaps with flu?

I'll try not to cough on the keyboard so as not to infect anyone on TP.

I have paperwork and so on for my mother that needs doing but no motivation. None!

There is nothing else to report as I've been sick and, well, done nothing.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Ohhhh - a house move - I'll have to go check out your thread, Spamar! Hope you can get a dishwasher sorted quickly - ours went several months ago, but with just 3 of us here, I have yet to sort replacing it.

Glad you have had a nice couple of days Slugsta - and I hope the tiredness doesn't last long for you xxx

Amethyst, I am so proud of my students - they have kept me busy over the last week, with their idea's and plans, and I am thrilled that the rest of the Welsh team are backing them 100% - I think these guys are going to do something very special in memory of their friend, and I feel very lucky that I am going to be a part of it x

Amy, I am rotten with whatever this lurgy is. Headaches, aches and pains, alternately bunged up or runny nose, really sore throat, bad cough and twinges of earache. I have barely slept the last 3 nights, having been woken regularly with cough, the need to blow my nose or very dry throat, and yesterday, shopping for one of my projects, I came very close to actually keeling over in the supermarket, I felt so ill. Today, I've contacted my boss and booked the day off. I have to work tomorrow morning, and go to S Wales on Friday, but that's as much as I think I might be able to manage for the rest of this week. I worked well over my hours for the last week, mainly because of the organisation needed to start the ball rolling for the fund raising stuff that is being planned, so I am hoping that my boss will say to just take the time, rather than me using leave, but if she doesn't I don't care - I really need some time off to recover.

OH went to see Mil on Saturday, and said she seemed a little better, though her cough is dreadful. It sounds like she knew who he was, at least. I forgot to say that in the meeting, the nurse from the home who was there mentioned that Mil is 'quite resistent' to personal care. Now, I know she certainly resisted me when she lived here, but this aspect hasn't been mentioned before by the staff at the CH, so I am wondering has it just started or was it mentioned because she has become more difficult lately? I have noticed - and had commented to OH, before Christmas - that she doesn't seem to be going to the hairdreser there as often as she used too, and her nails are rarely painted at the moment. Once I am back on my feet and able to visit, I'll check it out. Its so sad if the dementia is now stopping her enjoying the hairdresser and pampering sessions :(

Other news - youngest re-sat her English exam in November, and has just found out that she passed it with the grade she needs! She has definitely NOT enjoyed college so far - the English she was OK with, but she has had to more or less repeat the business studies she had already passed, as the college required that she studied full time and the English wasn't enough hours to meet that. But she has really hated it, finding it boring and, in her words, 'useless' as so much of it is just repetition. So, she has spoken to her tutor, and has now left college, until September, when she will return to do her A level's. She intends to work more hours at the swimming, and take more qualifications there - its possible that she will be doing the next stage qualification in swim coaching next month, which will see her get a hefty pay rise for any teaching sessions she does. I am not sure how I feel - I totally get her being fed up and not enjoying having to repeat stuff she has already passed (especially as she passed with a good grade) but have concerns that she won't want to return in September - she is adamant, at this stage, that she will, but I suspect that at 16, being on an extremely good wage (actually more than my hourly rate, if she does the next level coaching training) may well turn her head!

The weather here is very cold - in between the sweating and shivering bouts caused by this lurgy, even I can feel how bitter it is at the moment. We are forecast snow from late this afternoon, and throughout the night, with warnings of icy roads in effect because the temps are also supposed to fall even lower - yuck! Not looking forward to having to go out in the morning, but the trouble with project sessions is the having to catch up if I miss them - not always possible, because of activities being booked. Its only a two hour session, so I will just have to soldier through it!

Just to finish - I got a suprise gift from the kids. They bought me one of the small Steven Brown prints (featuring elephants, as I collect elephant odds and ends) - and it came with a 'thank you' for all my 'hard work' at Christmas, and for making it so special for them all. Left me really choked up - I guess they are not bad, as kids go - are they? :)

Right - I am going to head for the sofa, with hot water bottle, hot drink and intend to have a very easy day.

Hope everyone is OK, love to all xxxx

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
What lovely children! I would never have thought of that!
Sounds like your youngest is a bit like oldest step grand dau. She’s finished school, before A levels, cos she’s decided she wants to do beauty and makeup. Her summer job was with Debenhams and her boss has promised her he will see what he can do. Then it’ll be a beauty course in September. Bless her, she’s not academic! I can’t think why she was pushed to do the A levels she started. I knew it would be trouble. Her parents are used to the idea now, thinking of the money that will be saved with no university, so happy to help where ever she ends up.
At least your dau will have a decent job. I think I’ve said my ex was a swimming instructor, enjoyed it hugely. Not good that she may be earning more than you!
Plus if things don’t work out in the long run, she can get her As and go to uni then. Didnt you do that? I certainly did. OH did an OU degree. Now that can be hard work! I joined him and did three units before I’m went to mainstream uni. Never regretted it!
Hope you recover from the dreaded lurgy. I got up this morning, went to chat to gardener, came in and went to sleep in the chair! Then had a coughing fit where I thought I was going to be sick! Ugh!
It’s cold, but the sun is shining, so could be worse!

Cheers everyone!

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Ann, it sounds very much like the same lurgy as here. I know a lot of people who've had it and I'm so sorry you feel so rotten. I hope a day of rest helps. Lots of hot drinks!

What a lovely idea, a thank you gift for making Christmas wonderful for your kids. Maybe they are pretty good kids, after all! Bless them for noticing and saying something!!

If youngest doesn't go back to college in September and gets a pay rise, maybe she should pay you room and board!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DebbyB