Had enough today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harrys daughter

Jul 12, 2016
Lavender great news what a releaf you must feel xxx
Molly I can only imagine the pain your going through we still have my dad's home as it was when he left carnt face clearing out his life or selling it just yet so I think your amazing doing this now it's so early yet and grief is so different for everyone a huge hug winging its way to you xxx

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
Molly, in my opinion it's ok to feel like that.
Nothing wrong with tears, you are sad and I would be too.
Me sending hugs today, the ones I got last night were wonderful. X

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
HarrysD
I claim 5'1" too but am just a bit weighed down!! So 5' really.
I lost loads and really liked myself but have so gone off track and spoiled it all, it's comfort but solves nothing.
Hey ho - off to get dinner and wine to compliment!!
Have a good evening everyone. XX

jorgieporgie

Mar 2, 2016
YORKSHIRE
Oh Lavender get the bunting out, so so pleased for your both at last:)
You must be on tender hooks and wanting to go in but it is for the best to let her settle first.
Marnie hope your enjoying having your Mum home.
Molly extra warm hugs for you xx
Harryd your lovely just the way you are ;)
Hope you all had a nice warm day, its been quite warm ands sunny and finally got the gardens cut:D
Night everyone x

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Alleluia Lavender, I pray your Mum settles and I hope your still heeding the advice of letting your Mum get settled in before you go. Oh I really am so pleased for you bothxx

Marnie thinking about you and hoping you are managing to cope with the changes xx

Mollyd my heart goes out to you ((hugs))xx

Hope you all have a peaceful night.
Night God bless everyone xx

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Just a quick update folks as it's late and I'm .. guess what .. still tired! Lavender - was sorry to hear about the wobbly, but glad mum has moved after all, and good you have the fall back of the ward. Hopefully you won't need it.

Well, if I thought the last nearly two years were hard, I think it's just got a whole load harder! The live in carer is a lovely lady and we get on well, which is a good start. She is very knowledgeable, so I feel totally confident that we are OK for the next two weeks (just under now!). Mum came home as planned on Monday morning, via an ambulance that had some from another county to just do this one job (and we wonder why the NHS costs so much!). She came home in a wheelchair, which is now part of my collection. The house wasn't small, but now it seems a bit smaller! Although the hospital visits were hard and tiring, when mum did something in hospital it always seemed like an achievement, and most of the time she was just resting. Now she's home, I have the stark contrast of how she was pre stroke (walking around the house normally with a stick and functioning normally, apart from the confusion and nonsense) to how she is now - same cognitive issues, plus immobility. And with immobility comes the huge challenge of toileting, and that is hard, so hard. Toileting and cleaning a person who is immobile and not of much help is a huge challenge, one I hadn't really appreciated. We have gone back to hoisting as I have cried over how tired mum becomes trying to use the rotunda at home. Today she was confused, but clearly aware that the process was exhausting her and at one point was saying "oh God, oh God, why am I suffering like this". It was awful. So hoisting it is, but we will try some standing exercises when she's more alert. I suspect she will never walk again and have to accept the challenges that brings. So hard though.

SS continue to call me - another SW, who I've dealt with before, called today to see how things were. I clearly will need more carers in future and think all I can do is get SS to come and reassess mum to see if they will provide more funding. Mornings are hard, so I want two carers to come in the morning to change and wash and hoist mum, while I am out of the room. What I don't see will not disturb me so much. Then maybe I can cope with one mid day visit from one carer, and then another at night. The morning routine is hard, very hard, I had no idea.

Although the live in is great, I don't want this long term, it's just not for me, so I HAVE to make the carer visits work, there is no other alternative. I think it can work, but we have to try different routines until we get the right balance. Whether SS will fund a double up carer visit I have no idea, but they keep saying they know mum's needs have changed, so hope they will support more care.

It's early days, but the first two days of mum back home have been very, very hard. Today I didn't even have lunch as I'm flying from one job to another when I'm not being 'carer no 2' with the hoist, etc. Even the live in has said you can't carry on like this, you need two carers doing the 'technical' stuff while you can do the food, housework, quality time, etc. I know she's right, but achieving that will, it seems to me, be difficult.

But, having mum home is priceless and I am going to talk to the GP soon about whether we can set up some kind of advance care plan so that if something happens again, I can keep her at home. I CANNOT do four weeks of hospital again, I just can't, it was utterly horrid.

Hope everyone is doing OK! Wish me luck!

Last edited:

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Hello, everyone. When I comment here, I feel I am interrupting on a group of friends....I don't mean that as a moan, I am apologising! I read this thread and only comment if I feel I have something to say that might help. And for the lady who is selling the family home...we had to do that a few years ago. I was born in that house! It was just horrible emptying it all, in fact my sister just couldn't cope with it, and my eldest brother and I ended up doing it all. But here are the good things that came out of it...it really bought us closer together as siblings. No mum to make the phone calls and spread the news...but we all do it now. And for me, I look down the coast to where I was born, and in my head mum and dad are in their house. Whatever the time of day, I know their routine; and that is what they are doing. Some people might find that odd...but it comforts me and is not hurting anyone. I hope you find that comfort too, once the sale is over.
For the rest of you, everything sounds so hard and I truly hope you get the support you need.
And now I will join the background of 'lurkers' again!

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Hi Amethyst59

Please don't ever think you cannot or should not join in. Jorgie who started the thread will say the same, there are a bunch of really lovely people here, but there's always room for everyone and you are so welcome to join in with us.

I can only imagine how stressful it is selling the family home. My only comparison is having to sell my Aunts house a few years ago after she passed on. The clearing of the house was a nightmare as my aunt was a prolific hoarder, but it was the weird sense of loss when the house sold which I found hard. To this day I wish we'd kept it, but it wasn't practical at all.

Nothing to do with dementia and care homes seems easy and the things we think will be easy, or are absolutely necessary somehow catch us out at the strangest of times. X

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Oh Marnie I'm glad your mum is home with you, but I'm worried about you and how you will cope. I hope social services will come up trumps and provide additional support which you are going to need. I've no idea how you're going to manage it, but please, please try to look after yourself whilst things adapt and change to suit your lovely mum's new needs. Xxx

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Today is the first time I've seriously considered a care home. It will need to be nursing care now. I have to admit that I'm thinking hard about this as this is going to be so hard now at home, unless I somehow adapt. Yesterday was non stop, I had no time for lunch and I have been up twice in the night washing and drying bedding!

The other part of me hopes this will be over soon. Mum is clearly into the realms of suffering and torment now with her condition. It's hard for me to watch and clearly hard for her to endure. Is it bad for me to wish for a swift and peaceful end, soonish?

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
No Marnie it's not bad at all, it's kinder to wish your mum wasn't going through this. Only you know what would be best for you and your mum, but we are with you (all be it virtually) whatever your decision is. ((((((((((hug)))))))))). Xxx

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Today is the first time I've seriously considered a care home. It will need to be nursing care now. I have to admit that I'm thinking hard about this as this is going to be so hard now at home, unless I somehow adapt. Yesterday was non stop, I had no time for lunch and I have been up twice in the night washing and drying bedding!

The other part of me hopes this will be over soon. Mum is clearly into the realms of suffering and torment now with her condition. It's hard for me to watch and clearly hard for her to endure. Is it bad for me to wish for a swift and peaceful end, soonish?

Taking you at your word, and chipping in again...my late husband really wanted to die at home, but we got to the point where the hospice could give SO much better care than I could...and we had three precious weeks together when I could be his wife again...after nearly five years as a carer...I still remember those days with gratitude and a very GOOD feeling. I hadn't failed, I was doing the very best for him...and the best was...the professionals providing the care.

rosy18

Jul 23, 2016
Blackpool
Marnie every time Mum has a bad day and she looks totally exhausted by this cruel disease I pray to God to take her. None of us want our loved ones to suffer it is perfectly normal to want their suffering to be over. I can sense how close you are to your dear Mum and I know this whole present situation will be breaking your heart. There comes a time when you have to consider a home and if this change is going to be too much for you to cope with then you need to really consider it. You will still be caring for your Mum just in a different way but with all the nursing side being done by professionals. Your own health is so important so you can still be there for your Mum. Whatever you decide it will be the right decision for both you and your lovely Mum ((hugs))xx

Lavender wondering how it's going with your dear Mum Hoping she had a settled night xx

Amethyst59 we are a lovely little family on Jorgies thread and really welcome new people to come and join us, so please carry on posting here everybody is welcome xx

Sun's shining here and we had carer here for an hour this morning so managed to tidy up the back garden whilst Mum chatted (kind of not much makes any sense at all now) away to the carer. The carer left at 11.15am and 5mins after Mum was fast asleep. I tried singing but Mum wasn't for joining in she just wanted to sleep. Just thought maybe it was my singing she couldn't stand !!
Hoping you all have a good a day as possible....Jorgie I'm feeling excited for you going on holsxx

jorgieporgie

Mar 2, 2016
YORKSHIRE
Afternoon Ladies,
Firstly Amethyst59 your more than welcome and be part of our little family, we love when people join in and would hate to think that no one would join us in case they were intruding. We all had threads and shared with others on their threads but for some reason we stuck on mine:)
Lavender have you heard how your Mum is and is she settling ok.
Marnie you poor love, we all have wished for our loved ones to be at peace from this hated hell, its only natural so please don't think your on your own feeling like that.
I understand you thinking of a NH its so hard to have to cope at home and on your well being too.
I remember how it was hard with Mum at the end and I was so pleased when care was put in place. It is physically and mentally challenging for the carer and as we know thing only get worst and not better, so what ever you feel is right only you can decide. Like Lavender says we can only support you virtually but always here to listen.xx
Hope everyone else is ok xxx

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Mum is peeing for England and my bathroom is piled high with urine soaked bedding and clothing. I have ordered more pads/pants but it's the slowest delivery service going. I think she will have to have a catheter, we can't go on like this. Thank God for the live in, otherwise I would have probably curled up and died in the pile of pee soaked clothing by now!

I have chased district nurse. Just spoken to GP and someone should come tomorrow. Mum seems to be developing sores (urine to skin contact related?) and also has not done a no. 2 in a week and a half. GP has given me new dosage instructions for laxatives. I think once we get the urine under control, things will be a lot easier.

Anyone got a mobile laundry they can send in my direction?

SS have suggested mum needs double up carer visits, three times a day, and have also suggested an increase in care package. Someone due next week. So that's good news, amidst all the peeing issues.

OMG!

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
It's good that double handed visits are a possibility Marnie. The laundry sounds a bit of a nightmare, you certainly could do with an industrial machine to help you out.

I spoke with the home this morning. Mum was a bit agitated first thing trying to get out, but they successfully distracted her. The home had an outing on today, apparently the local cinema were having a dementia friendly showing of Jail House Rock, mum declined to go. It seems brave of them to think about taking her out one day after she arrived, part of me is glad she didn't go in case she escaped or threw a wobbly going back, but the other part of me thinks she'd settle and be more contented if she joined in with what's on offer. Time will tell how that pans out. As to me, I'm dying to go and check on her, but that's not in her best interests. I've said I'll stay away until Monday, that feels a long way off just now. :eek:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Lavender - hooray, and fingers crossed for your mum settling. Or settling as well as can be expected! Marnie - wishing you much strength!

Hope everyone else is doing OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jean16