Dad's car

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Dad has not driven since his doctor told him he was not to drive after losing his car 5 or 6 weeks ago while shopping and also because of a few other driving incidents. I then put his car in our garage as an out of sight out of mind strategy. This seemed to make things a bit easier for him.

It is a motability car and today I took it for a quote for the damage that needs repairing, new front bumper, new front panel and new door where he scraped a parked lorry. Body shop people said to leave rear bumper for another time. He has only done 500 miles in it.

Anyway now Dad thinks his car is all fixed (it should be sometime soon) and he has suggested that I keep his car and that I can put my car in his garage for safe keeping to save wear and tear. To be honest my car is nicer than his car and bigger and also my husband would like occasional use of it but Dad is just trying to be helpful.

I am named on the motobility car insurance. Am I allowed to keep the car at my place and use it just for Dad as I am driving to his house everyday to take him shopping and various other reasons, cups of coffee, bit of cleaning, watch TV and fish and chips twice a week. I occasionally stay over. This would give my husband a chance to use our car for the things he needs to do like our shopping and various other things that he can't do when I am using our car to ferry Dad about.

I know we could send the car back and he would get the money instead but he could not get a bus and he would not like to depend on a taxi. He would rather I took him.

It just seems to make sense to me. Does anyone else have this arrangement. Is it ok.

margherita

May 30, 2017
Italy, Milan and Acqui Terme
I think you need two cars in your family, also because the occasions on which you will need a car to help with your father's needs are going to increase.
When I lived in Milan I could have done with a car of my own (which I didn't), but now we live in the countryside, it would be unthinkable.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
The only problem I can see is where the car is being kept - its registered address. Read through the contract carefully.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
If it's a motability car contact motability about the damage

There will be car insurance on the car and, if your dad is same as us, he will only be liable for £75 towards repairs

Edited to add. It doesn't matter where the car is kept. give motability a call and explain situation

Last edited:

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Thank you all for that, I rung Nissan first and took it for a quote yesterday and it is just under £2000 which is what I expected.

Will ring the motobility people though and inform them that I have it at my address and about the quote. Hopefully I can get it done quickly and keep it here as long as it is needed.

Last edited:

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Thank you all for that, I rung Nissan first and took it for a quote yesterday and it is just under £2000 which is what I expected.

Will ring the motobility people though and inform them that I have it at my address and about the quote. Hopefully I can get it done quickly and keep it here as long as it is needed.

What did motability say about the repairs?
When we needed body work sorted, the insurance company chose the garage we had to take it to. We only had to pay £75, insurance picked up the rest of the bill

The insurance company that I understand motability use is RSA royal sun alliance. May I suggest you contact them as my husband has told me that motability don't deal with the repairs only the insurance company

Don't forget! It's dads money that should be paying the £75 not you.

Last edited:

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
What did motability say about the repairs?
When we needed body work sorted, the insurance company chose the garage we had to take it to. We only had to pay £75, insurance picked up the rest of the bill

The insurance company that I understand motability use is RSA royal sun alliance. May I suggest you contact them as my husband has told me that motability don't deal with the repairs only the insurance company

Don't forget! It's dads money that should be paying the £75 not you.

Hi, yes I contacted Nissan who supplied the car and they told me which garage to go to. I have got a quote and now have to contact his motability insurance which I believe is RSA Dad had a recent letter saying that his excess has risen to £100 but that is no problem.

I will wait and see what they say before we go ahead and do anything.
That will be tomorrow or Friday. Thank you very much.