If not here....where?

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Not sure in which sub set I should be posting this ....:confused::confused: or of course it could just be my interpretation.......

I've just received, via my letterbox, a flyer ( leaflet) purporting to come from someone claiming to be a Dementia Friend and advertising that they will be hosting a session at our local community centre soon. This is to be a free advice session about LPAs, Home and Property Protection Trusts, Wills and Funeral Plans.

Now, apart from the fact that I am a pedant:rolleyes::(:( (the leaflet is full of grammatical and spelling errors and even misspells the person's name), I am uncomfortable about this as the person hosting the talk is an estate planner and this smacks of touting for business. I have looked at their website and again it is amateurish in format and spelling.

I cannot attend the meeting because I shall be away on holiday, otherwise I would go simply to watch, but I am concerned that using the DF Logo and the phrase "I became a Dementia Friend as my Mum had Dementia" is giving the impression that this person is supported by the Alzheimer's Society and is qualified to give these talks.

So I guess what I am asking is....... Is it me or does anyone else feel that this is wrong?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Do you have a local branch of the Alzheimer Society? It might be worth giving them a ring to mention this leaflet to them.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hopefully they'll either know more about it or at least will alert them to it.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I applaud you both for your concern. This is an area that chancers could and will misuse although we don't as yet know if this is such a case. I am often asked now for advice on the basis of my experience with John but I am very conscious that this is all the experience of dementia I have and is not necessarily applicable to all.

I think Izzy's advice might be the right one given that you can't be present Maureen

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
What a Chancer. :eek:

I hope someone from your local AS Branch will be able to attend Maureen.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"This is to be a free advice session about LPAs, Home and Property Protection Trusts, Wills and Funeral Plans."

There's a world of difference between giving financial guidance and giving advice.

Guidance just explains the pro and cons of any action and what is most likely suitable in difference situations.

Advice is when specific products are mentioned and promoted, I'm not sure but I think this requires the person giving the advice to be qualified, they obviously should be.

Does the flyer contain any reference to qualifications?

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
"This is to be a free advice session about LPAs, Home and Property Protection Trusts, Wills and Funeral Plans."

There's a world of difference between giving financial guidance and giving advice.

Guidance just explains the pro and cons of any action and what is most likely suitable in difference situations.

Advice is when specific products are mentioned and promoted, I'm not sure but I think this requires the person giving the advice to be qualified, they obviously should be.

Does the flyer contain any reference to qualifications?

Three Logos are shown..... Dementia Friends, The Society of Will Writers, and the Federation of Funeral Dierctors, but no claims to membership are made on the flyer. When I googled the name, and susequently the telephone number (when the name as written was not listed) the website said that this person is a member of the Will Writers Society, but no legal or financial memberships were shown.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
I've blocked out the person's name and contact details, hopefully you can read this clearly and see why I am uncomfortable.....

Attachments

• IMG_046.jpg
    IMG_046.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 463

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Assuming the Dementia Friends logo is registered it looks as if permission should be sought.

Using any of Alzheimer's Society's registered logos, graphics or photographs without the Society's prior consent is strictly prohibited.

If you wish to request permission to re-use content from any or part of Alzheimer's Society's publications or website in any media, please complete this form

https://www.dementiafriends.org.uk/WEBArticle?page=terms-and-conditions

<Don't bother clicking on the link for the form, like many parts of the old AS site it vanished on the revamp>

onlyme1

Sep 10, 2011
scarborough
Hi cragmaid. I don't like the look of this at all. I've been to dementia friends sessions (and also a DF Champion day), as far as I know it isn't acceptable to 'graft' the DF image onto any other advert/notice/invitation or whatever. X Lindy.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
Agree it needs challenging

Another one here who thinks this is 'suspect'. As you can't attend yourself to assess the situation I'd definitely want it looked into.

It is of course possible that the person concerned has been affected themselves and wishes 'to give back', in which case someone with legal know-how could be areal asset to your local area.

cragmaid

Oct 18, 2010
North East England
Passed it on...

I've rung the local office and emailed a copy of the flyer. This will be passed to the Dementia Friends office.
I can do no more...... I really hope I am wrong and that this is someone who wants to help, and that this is not just a way to make some commision money.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
You are right to question this. I have trouble taking anything seriously if the author cannot even be bothered to read and put right the howling errors in their own text. It looks like a very poor attempt at drumming up some business but the problem is that some people might be taken in ...

Bin it like all other junk.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch