A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That looks great Sylvia. A really good resource to have. Dundee used to have so many cinemas it was almost impossible to count them. We were actually just chatting about that last night. Lots of them were in quite art deco buildings too and they've all gone. We have two very big cinema complexes as most big cities do. The one I like to go to though is in quite a posh arts centre! It has a nice restaurant and bar and also galleries and a shop!

http://www.dca.org.uk/visit

You used to be able to get a calendar with photos of the old Dundee cinemas. I must see if it's still available!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I've been googling Dundee cinemas and it seems we had around 40 at one time. I found this clip which I think is amazing. Green's Playhouse was a famous cinema in Dundee and Sadly ti became a bingo hall in the late 1960s but I well remember going there in my teens. The more or less burned down in the 90s. I recall they had seats called the Golden Divans - known locally as the Golden Dive-ins!;)

https://scotlandonscreen.org.uk/browse-films/007-000-002-095-c

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
We have another small cinema which has a history. .

http://thepalacecinema.co.uk/history.shtml

The last time I went there was to see a Japanese film and I couldn't hear a word especially as it was all whispered. It was years ago because I went with Dhiren. He could hear it but couldn't understand what it was about .

It has now been bought by new people who are determined to make it a successful venture so I'll give it another try.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
How daft am I?

I have very few surfaces in my small living room, just enough to display a few photos of Dhiren.

Recently I`ve acquired some plants and a flower arrangement and they have had to share the surface space with Dhiren`s photos.

Yesterday , as I was leaving the room, the door bumped against one of the tables and Dhiren`s photo fell face down on the floor.

I jumped to pick it up and as I did, said `Ooh Sorry!` :eek:

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
I have very few surfaces in my small living room, just enough to display a few photos of Dhiren.

Recently I`ve acquired some plants and a flower arrangement and they have had to share the surface space with Dhiren`s photos.

Yesterday , as I was leaving the room, the door bumped against one of the tables and Dhiren`s photo fell face down on the floor.

I jumped to pick it up and as I did, said `Ooh Sorry!` :eek:

Oh, not daft at all, Sylvia. Pictures are precious and their subjects are very alive in them.

I have a 'magnetic' picture of my mother in a little frame with the words ' When I count my blessings, I always count you twice on it.'

It's attached to the fridge door, but when someone came to mend the boiler the other day they knocked against it and it fell in pieces onto the floor. I rushed to pick it up and felt quite anxious about it.

I didn't want the gas engineer to feel bad about it though. (She was a woman. I shouldn't be amazed in the 21st century that the gas engineer was a woman, should I, but I was.)

So I brushed aside her apology and told her the magnet wasn't working properly and it's always falling off. But after she had gone I put it back together again very carefully and winked at my mother.

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
That's true Sylvia. I often talk to Roger's photograph.
I also talk to him when I drive past the Woodland Burial Park! It's a good job I'm in the car on my own!!!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
That's true Sylvia. I often talk to Roger's photograph.
I also talk to him when I drive past the Woodland Burial Park! It's a good job I'm in the car on my own!!!

I do that as well Jan. I know that David also speaks to Bill when he goes up to visit the grave. I speak to Bill's photos all the time. I even speak to his teddy bear!

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
I always used to phone Mum every day at or near 6pm. I now have a picture of Mum on my phone and an alarm set for 6pm. When it goes off and I cancel it, her picture comes up and I say "Love you lots Mum" - which is what I always used to say at the end of a call.
Our loved ones may not be physically with us but they are always in our hearts.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Talking Point mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.