Second post and worried

Haverton

Sep 12, 2016
Essex
This is only my second post so I am very new to the forum. Sorry if my post is a bit of I rant but I need to talk. I am 63 and sometime in this last year I have been diagnosed with Mixed Dementia. It was a shock and left me feeling vulnerable. Last week a was set a memory test which showed a deterioration. I scored 14 out of a possible 30. I feel anxious because as I said I have only been diagnosed in the last year and there seems a rapid decline in terms of my memory.

Already I forget how to spell the most simplest of words and find it difficult to shape the letters i need to form a word. My speech is slurred and I can't pronounce words where hitherto I had no problem with.

I would be grateful for any responses to my post

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
Haverton, I'm so sorry. You must be feeling shell-shocked.

There are a number of people on this forum who are in the same position as you are. They have to focus on what they can still do and enjoy - and get help in for anything that's now difficult.

I think you might find some solace in creative sarah's beautiful photographs - I do.

What medical help are you getting to keep as well as you can? Do you have a helpful GP?

Also, have you started getting matters such as Power of Attorney sorted out, simplifying how you pay bills and all the rest of it?

Haverton

Sep 12, 2016
Essex
Thank you for responding to m to my post
I am currently taking Donepezi. My GP is always attentive but I have yet to need his help as I have a dementia consultant and ay CPN who is a great help.

I have sorted out my power of attorney which has put my mind at ease.

Thanks again.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello Haverton
it's good that you can now come here and rant away whenever you want :) - not that I'm wishing on you lots of experiences you need to rant about :(
there's lots going on for you right now, so maybe some of what you're encountering is down to stress
is there a café or group in your area to go along and just chat with others?
maybe have a look here
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/site/scripts/documents.php?categoryID=200121&_ga=1.124861641.213745934.1462100281#!/search
or your CPN may know of useful contacts
best wishes

Haverton

Sep 12, 2016
Essex
Hi Shedrech thank you for your post. I have noticed that the general trend of the posts concentrate on what I can do as opposed to what I can"t do. I think this might be a way forward for me.

There are support groups in my area such as the dementia cafe you mentioned. My CPN signposted me to a gardening club which supports people with mental health problems including dementia. I find this useful as it helps me to focus on other things other than dementia.

I really do try not to get absorbed with my diagnosis but on somedays I feel overwhelmed
by this illness. Some of this is underpinned by frustration like needing my partner to help me spell certain words etc. On a positive note I still have the ability to construct sentences which convey what I want to say.

I am grateful for the agencies who help support my needs and welcome the advice and good wishers from the members of this forum.

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
This disease is such a challenge you need to seize every opportunity there is to make life more enjoyable and easier to cope with. I think people are often much more courageous than they ever expect to be, thank goodness.

There's an Irish blessing that I can only remember in part but have found comforting whenever I heard it - it says amongst other things "may the wind be always at your back". May I wish that for you too...

Haverton

Sep 12, 2016
Essex
Also Confused thank you for your good wishes. I am touched by your response and and very much encouraged by your positive thinking and the Irish Blessing you shared with me. I googled the rest of it and found it very moving.

Jeanie 73

Apr 20, 2013
N Lincolnshire
Hi Shedrech thank you for your post. I have noticed that the general trend of the posts concentrate on what I can do as opposed to what I can"t do. I think this might be a way forward for me.

There are support groups in my area such as the dementia cafe you mentioned. My CPN signposted me to a gardening club which supports people with mental health problems including dementia. I find this useful as it helps me to focus on other things other than dementia.

I really do try not to get absorbed with my diagnosis but on somedays I feel overwhelmed
by this illness. Some of this is underpinned by frustration like needing my partner to help me spell certain words etc. On a positive note I still have the ability to construct sentences which convey what I want to say.

I am grateful for the agencies who help support my needs and welcome the advice and good wishers from the members of this forum.

Hi Haverton like many I have much the same problems re spelling etc.
I got myself an IPad, I have my predictive txt on all the time or no one would understand what I was writing!
Like many I have cursed it in the past, but now it's a godsend. It almost writes full sentences for me now and even recognises my shortened version of words, for instance I use Sainsbugs for Sainsbury's. I can no longer hand write, Daughter writes xmas and birthday cards for me these days.
Think it helps to have an interest to take your mind off things, mine is gardening. [emoji259][emoji257][emoji253] I also use smiley,/emojis to communicate when I can't think of the word or words I need.
Hope this helps xx

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Haverton

Sep 12, 2016
Essex
Hi Jeanie. You have helped me a lot. I have the same difficulties as you and others in terms of writing. My wife has an ipad and uses it frequently. I also will consider getting one too. AS for my writing, it is mostly illegible. My signature is never the same from one document to the other. For, example, when I had to sign several papers concerning my Power Of Attorney each one had a different shape. I just can't control my pen.

I have got a activities diary from my local Alzheimers Society and I think I will join a group such as a dementia cafe. I don't know how much that I will be able to contribute to this group but am willing to try.

At the moment I have the early stages of mixed dementia but as I previously mentioned I am only 63. What I have read on the alzheimer's website in general people with early onset of this disease deteriorate quite quickly. I no everyones experience of dementia differ but it is a concern to me..

Jeanie 73

Apr 20, 2013
N Lincolnshire
Hi Jeanie. You have helped me a lot. I have the same difficulties as you and others in terms of writing. My wife has an ipad and uses it frequently. I also will consider getting one too. AS for my writing, it is mostly illegible. My signature is never the same from one document to the other. For, example, when I had to sign several papers concerning my Power Of Attorney each one had a different shape. I just can't control my pen.

I have got a activities diary from my local Alzheimers Society and I think I will join a group such as a dementia cafe. I don't know how much that I will be able to contribute to this group but am willing to try.

At the moment I have the early stages of mixed dementia but as I previously mentioned I am only 63. What I have read on the alzheimer's website in general people with early onset of this disease deteriorate quite quickly. I no everyones experience of dementia differ but it is a concern to me..

Try not too worry, from what the memory clinic told me i.e. I was at least 5yrs into my Alzheimer's therefore it started in my sixties, and am now 8/9 yrs in.
I have known others with early onset 10yrs on so as you rightly say we are not all the same.
I am very aware that I am not a typical Alzheimer's person, and so is the memory clinic.
Mainly because I am very aware of when I get things wrong i.e. Forget names of my dog, granddaughters boyfriend etc when I couldn't work out how to put my watch on,tie my scarf, I remember it all!
I did not recognise t shirt I was wearing when Maggie from memory clinic last week.
I was in my garden moving pots of bulbs around and had too repeatedly stop and take stock of what I was doing, or some times would think 'why am I out here!
Best advice is treat each day as it dawns, don't try and second guess how you think you will be, just be the best you can be on that day!
Love and hugs[emoji847][emoji173]

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point