So bizarre !

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I have nicely bruised legs after crashing on my cyclocross bike race at the weekend (on grass, lots of people crash), but I grabbed bike and got back on and finished. Better result than the week before but still felt destroyed.

:eek: on grass lots of people crash :eek:

Ouch for crashing.....

You are talking about the green stuff that cows and sheep eat aren't you.... :D

If yes......

That will teach you to buy 98 bottles of proppa stuff and not an ounce of fortified :D

xxxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Hope that 'teeny-tiny light at the end of the tunnel' gets bigger and brighter, Grace - it sounds like it very well might, thank goodness :) Good for Lily - fingers crossed that she is listened to x

Spamar, hope you enjoyed your afternoon tea x Is that probate sorted for you now? You'll be glad to have that chore out of the way xxx

Red, you must be shattered with the 14 hour days, hun - hope they won't be going on indefinitely x

Cheers MrsBusy - yes, I've remembered the VAT exempt, makes a good bit of difference on a big order like that! :)

Lol Slugsta - hope you manage to get the lamp sorted OK :D

Ouch, JM - hope the bruises aren't too sore - have to admit, though, am chuckling away at 2jays interpretation of a load of cyclists on grass :D

Love the pics, 2jays - such gorgeous blue skies and a very pretty sunset. Looks beautiful x

Picked Mil up last night to be greeted by the news that she had fallen in day care - she really is far more unsteady, not sure if its the new meds or just general decline :( No broken bones, or even broken skin, but bruising on her shins, poor thing, that looks very sore. Day care say she got a little agitated after lunch, so I'm now going to be speaking to CPN to see if the prn lorazepan can be OK'd for day care to give her at lunch time, as they did in respite - because they are not a nursing home, they can't are not allowed to make the call that she needs prn - but if the CPN or a GP write it up that its to be given at specific times and just withheld if Mil seems sleepy, then they can :confused: I know, seems unecessarily complex, doesn't it :rolleyes:

Back home, I just didn't think to give her the prn dose that I have been giving at tea time - it just went out of my head, and at just before 7pm, she started on 'home' ("Why do you want to keep me here Ann?") - gave the meds pretty darn quick then, and thankfully, she settled within half an hour. Very confused throughout the evening, but that's pretty much the 'norm' now I guess - she asked how much rent I charge her and OH to live in my house, and when I explained it was OH's house too, she then seemed to think that she must own the house - I guess it was back to her thinking that she and OH are a couple again, though it was hard to be sure as her ramblings are so unclear now. I made her a chicken casserole for tea and served it in a bowl with a spoon, and noticed that she was still using her fingers a lot, having trouble using just the spoon to 'scoop' the food up - she ended up wearing an awful lot of it :( . By 8.15, she was struggling to keep her eyes open, so at 8.30, I gave her her meds and made an excuse to follow her up the stairs directly, because I was a bit nervous about her falling again. I think that the stairlift may have to come soon. OH and I have agreed to give it 2 weeks of having her back home, the have promised an honest chat about how we (and me in particular) are coping. At the moment, its only been two nights, but its been better so far, so I think - if it continues that the new med doses seem to be working - then we will be OK. Not making any firm decision yet though.

Didn't get chance to even look at my pics yesterday - I decided to tackle the ironing, before the stack reached mountainous proportions, and then there just seemed to be a lot of 'jobs' and errands to sort - but I'm determined to get to them today :)

Hope you all have a good day xxxxx

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hi Ann so pleased to hear that you have drawn your line in the sand. Hope today is relatively peaceful. G L

Thanks GL x

Well, photographs are on hold again, as my first job today is to go out and buy a new pillow for Mil. Despite the pull ups staying on, the bed was absolutely flooded again, even to the point where the back of her hair was wet with wee - she had pulled off the waterproof case from the pillow and it was soaked too. I've now chucked out I think about a dozen pillows in the last 6 months, as none I've found stand up to repeated washing, at the very least they end up stained. I'm down to my last 4 spare - 3 of which are currently drying after the last two nights wet beds. I've always felt that completely waterproof pillows - incased in plastic - would be dreadfully uncomfortable, but I don't think I have much option but to buy them now. I've got two ordered, along with the bed, but have to get through the next week/10 days till the stuff arrives, so despite the waterproof pillows being nearly twice the price of the ones I've ordered at the disability shops in the area, I'll have to get one today.

And see if I can find pull ups that are even more absorbant, maybe on the net :( I bought the most absorbant that the shop offered yesterday, and still the bed is soaked. I'm watching liquids - Mil has a cup of tea when she gets home and either a cuppa or a small glass of water with her meal, but rarely anything after, other than water with her meds. She also got up for the loo in the night, as OH heard her. I think that the new meds are working so well that she goes into a very deep sleep and when totally relaxed, her bladder just empties. The tablet she used to have to help her relax her bladder during the day (so she wouldn't be so 'full' going to bed) was discontinued as it can increase the liklihood of delusions. 'Nappy' style pads are more absorbant, but as I said, she still often goes to the loo in the night and so she would almost certainly remove them - and they might distress her, too.

Can anyone reccommend a brand of pull ups that are better than tenna's 'super' range?

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Morning....

Lovely pics 2jays....

I don't really know Lily that well, but we have met several times over the years.
She knows another lady who lives in MiL 'cul-de-sac of bungalows' (and MiL),
and I've given her a lift home a few times....

I think she will contact SS, or possibly ask the GP to.
Hopefully having a 90-odd year old talk about her friend (MiL) needing help the GP will spring into action.
If not, then my niece said she will (or we can do it together).

Its not looking good for my in-laws though. If I were them I'd be very concerned.
The 'wider community' have no idea what they are like at not supporting MiL.
If they don't show support (now MiLs Alz is out in the open) they are going to look bad.
They will be forced to show they care .... when they really couldn't care less.

Didn't sleep well last night... worrying, over-thinking.

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Ann,

Just had a look .....

Age UK incontinence.co.uk have packs of bed pads that are (look) super absorbent.
Could you use these on top of all the other bed-protecting you are already using?

Hope you day gets better for you x

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Ann,

Just had a look .....

Age UK incontinence.co.uk have packs of bed pads that are (look) super absorbent.
Could you use these on top of all the other bed-protecting you are already using?

Hope you day gets better for you x

Thanks Grace - I do have supposedly absorbant pads, but the spread of urine exceeds the size of them on nights like the last two. Plus, Mil has nearly always removed them at some stage during the night (even when I've put them under the top sheet) so all I've found they do is increase the wash load. I'm scanning the net now, seeing if I can find anything that looks better than the tenna pull ups - no luck so far, its impossible to tell from the manufacturers blurb, they all claim to be the best. I've also posted a separate thread to ask for recommendations from others on TP. The best option would be nappy style pads which are - from my experience in care work - far more absorbant. But there is no way that she will accept them at this point, I know they would upset her - plus she will take them off when she goes to the loo in the night.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Thanks for your thoughts on grass. The first race this year did have fresh cowpats on the field!

Here is a link to some photos from last Sunday - grass and woodland, when it rains it is liquid mud :eek: I'm in there as number 174 (white number - pulling a face of effort)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100713057@N05/sets/72157658458967119/

Grace - light at end of tunnel needs to be made bigger by keeping up the pressure on SS.

Spamar - forgot to add last night that glad you have trip to Cornwall planned, hopefully should be a good catch up with relatives.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Just a thought, Ann, and i might be totally wrong here, but I wonder if your mum is actually going to the loo at night, or whether she just goes into the bathroom and is too confused to workout what to do so goes back to bed.
It does seem a large output if she is using the loo at night.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Eventually found you! Not too muddy, in fact not muddy at all!

Canary, that sounds a good possibility, I know OH sometimes didn't know.

Hoping to go on Saturday to Dorset, to see elderly friend ( nearly 102!) then on to Cornwall next day. Stay for a fortnight. At least, that's the plan at the moment. Plans change! You won't hear much from me, cousin not into computers, so no broadband/wifi, though at least one coffee shop I know does. Could also go to their youngest sons house next door if convenient. Be lucky to get once a day, I think. Worse than Launde!

Have a good evening, folks!

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Eventually found you! Not too muddy, in fact not muddy at all!

Not this week. The first cyclocross race my daughter ever did (we followed her into it) was on that course, the rain was non stop for hours before hand, and it was standing water in places, all the riders looked like coal miners.

Keep not putting this up, think because I don't like it and am not sure how to deal with it. Mum asked me when I visited her last week if I had her engagement ring - same as the week before. She also came out with the same scenario as the week before which I had just ignored then but this time I told her not to be so silly. She has got it in her head that my daughter has taken her engagement ring to school and lost it!! I've told her my daughter would never do such a thing this week. It really unnerves me and I know I will struggle not to get too cross. I know it is dementia behaviour, but mum has been quite quick to accuse with a dreamt up scenario for a long long time, and was it the early start or was it her being vindictive due to jealousy. Either way I don't want her accusing my daughter of taking her engagement ring so hoping she has forgotten this week. I don't want to give her the ring back as she will lose it and it is valuable, but wondering whether to show it to her and keep it.

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Re the ring, could you say the stones were loose so it's at the jewellers being fixed? Hopefully that would change the thought in her mind away from the idea re daughter. Is her recognition of items very clear? Would you be able to substitute a similar looking piece of inexpensive costume jewellery?

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
My thoughts as well, Celia. If you could get a cheap ring of the same description, do you think you would know, JM?

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Canary, I think she is going to the loo - mainly because she often forgets to flush, these days so OH or I tend to nip in after her, even during the night, to do it for her. She suffers from 'stress incontinence' (has done for years) and at the clinic they said that this would mean that her bladder doesn't 'relax' properly so never quite empties fully - thats what causes the 'dribbles' when she coughs or laughs, if I've understood the nurse properly - but it also means that when she is asleep, the bladder will also relax and empty fully :( There is medication that can help - but unfortunately, it also can worsen delusions and hallucinations, so she can't take it.

Have only been to Cornwall once, Spamar, years ago and would love to go again! Hope you have a wonderful relaxing break there, hun xxx

JM, I feel for you over the ring and the accusations. All my kids, as well as OH and myself, have been accused of 'stealing' , 'taking' or 'losing' items belonging to Mil - sometimes items she had years ago and long gone, occasionally real items, often items that have never existed. Like your Mum, Mil has come up with very detailed scenario's to discribe the circumstances under which one or the other of us has taken her possessions - she sounds so darn convincing and is so adamant, its so hurtful and infuriating. With Mil, I do what you have done this week - very firmly tell her she is mistaken and make it clear I don't want to hear her saying 'that sort of thing'. She huffs, but usually subsides - though it might re-surface again at a later date. I have no idea how to stop it, can handle it better if its OH or myself or even someone from day care getting the blame - but like you, I find it hard when its my kids on the receiving end of the accusations. I've had a quick peep at the pics on the link, and haven't spotted you yet - going back for a closer look later :D Some really good photographs up there though!

Seemed to spend most of yesterday morning, and the early part of the afternoon on 'Mil related' business. Tried to hunt down waterproof pillows in the local area that i could go and buy - none in stock, anywhere. In the end, I bought a set of 'washable' pillows, have double encased them in waterproof covers, and am hoping that will hold her till the ones I've ordered along with the bed arrive. Although the pillows I've bought are washable, I find at the high temps needed to get the stains fully out, they don't last indefinitely - and of course, they can't be tumbled dry. At this time of year, with plenty of rain about, they can take 3 - 4 days to dry indoors, which is a real pain!

I also got an 'interesting' phone call from Adult services - same guy who contacted me after Mil had escaped from day care. I'm still mulling over what was said, but (my interpretation) basically it was if Mil's behaviour becomes very problamatic, either here at home with us or if she was in a home, then there is no other option to provide care for her within the county. So it would be a case of trying to find somewhere to take her, possibly quite a long distance away and a good chance that in the interim she would be placed into the local hospital in the wards that the CPN told me about - this guy warned me that that would be 'very bad' for Mil - its not a nice place to be in, apparently. That being the case, and as the new meds seem to be working at the moment and (in his opinion) I was obviously 'doing all the right things' and 'coping well', the review suggested was clearly pointless, as was allocating Mil a named social worker, so things are to be left as they are for the moment. Oh - and would I please get in touch if I could think of any other way that adult services may be able to help :rolleyes:

At the moment, I just don't have the words to say what I think about that!

Mil had a bit of an 'exciting ' day in day care, apparently - they had a sort of DJ in, and whilst he was there, Mil got right into the swing of it all, singing and even having a dance - however, it was all a bit much for her, and afterwards she got very agitated. She simply cannot handle anything, even something pleasant, that is out of the 'norm', now :( We got some of the backlash at home, with a bit of fretting about 'going home' - though not too bad - and some wonderful delusions/confabulations, including a tale about how she has spent the last two weeks breaking up the stones 'above the kitchen' to fill 'the green sugar bowl' :confused:

I did finally finish going through the pics from the weekend, and will put some up later - right now, I have a teen to chivvy along to get ready for school and Mil to get up - fingers crossed for a dry bed - or at least that she has left the waterproof cases on the new pillows! After that, quick fly round and get ready for my 'photo day' out with my friends.

Have a good day, all of you xxxxx

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Morning All,

Ann, I've not heard that Tom Cat phrase for decades..... it made me smile.

I hope your pain clinic appointment goes well.
My Pain assessment letter said allow up to 3 hours, but it only took Doctor and Nurse 1 1/2.
Lots of paperwork and questions , and going over the forms I'd already filled in.

I was kept waiting for about and extra 1/2 hour as well , and when I checked in at reception
I noticed a bank of cctv style cameras that were filming the waiting areas....
I think they were watching 'us patients' before to see how we were.

MiL news.... I might post later on her, but things have moved on...

That little break she had (with her church) , I think you can say did me a favour.
She can no longer 'hide her Alz'.... and she's is a little beeped off.....
Few things happened when they were away, and they would rather she does not go with them again on overnight trips.

Niece had big row with her mum about contacting DVLA and Granny....
She had seen a letter (no time to read it, it was snatched away) from DVLA on table...

Niece went to help Granny pack for her mini break, and found a big bag of pills.
She told pharmacy (label on boxes) Granny was not taking medication, and could they please tell her GP...
SiL thought her daughter shouldn't interfere... and blames me :confused::confused:

Those days she was away, felt like a little break for me as well....
I forgot what it was like to not be thinking about MiL all the time..

Anyway, I think ?? SS are involved now, which mean I can relax a little... maybe....

Have a good day everyone.... xxx

Scuse me butting in, Grace, but I noticed your reference to the driving issue, which at one time was my major worry. It ended up with my husband, who was convinced he was a good driver and fiercely defensive, being invited to go for a DVLA assessment. A heroic friend took him, so that no one in the family would get the blame when , of course, a new licence was refused. Afterwards whenever the subject came up, I'd say what a good decision my husband had made to voluntarily give up driving, rather than being told to. Now he firmly believes that's what he did, and it's barely mentioned.

Sorry, all this was meant to do was let you know th driving issue goes away.....on a second look I now See you have a FAR bigger issue going on than simply sorting out a driving problem! I hope things get better for you Grace.

Last edited:

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Right - going to try and post some pics from Anglesey! The first lot are from our first mornings walk, when we had incredible skies, encountered a friendly cricket and where I was completely entranced by hundreds of sparkling, dew-draped webs in the early morning sun. IMG_9426.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9447.jpg
    IMG_9447.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_9501.jpg
    IMG_9501.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 493
  • IMG_0129.jpg
    IMG_0129.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_9539.jpg
    IMG_9539.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 490

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
A few more - and some of the sunset that night

Attachments

• IMG_9499.jpg
    IMG_9499.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 474
  • IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 470
  • IMG_9437.jpg
    IMG_9437.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_0540.jpg
    IMG_0540.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 502
  • IMG_0554.jpg
    IMG_0554.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 497

Essie

Feb 11, 2015
Fabulous photos Ann, all that sky and sea - lovely! And as for the "if there's anything else we can do to help..." remark, well, it's a mixture of :eek: and :confused: and :mad: really, isn't it.... Honestly, you couldn't make it up could you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollynAR