A general question about PoA

CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
North East England
If no family member or friend is willing to act as a relative's PoA, what can that person do? Can they appoint a solicitor to be their attorney?

(I am speaking about someone who has full capacity at the time but who is looking ahead and wanting to appoint an attorney should it ever be needed.)

Many thanks.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Note that it is the solicitor not the firm that is the attorney so, especially if the donor is young, choose a young solicitor. Also think about a replacement attorney.

count2ten

Dec 13, 2013
If no family member or friend is willing to act as a relative's PoA, what can that person do? Can they appoint a solicitor to be their attorney?

(I am speaking about someone who has full capacity at the time but who is looking ahead and wanting to appoint an attorney should it ever be needed.)

Many thanks.

You can have more than one attorney, but they will all have to consult with each other on decisions.

joggyb

Dec 1, 2014
You can have more than one attorney, but they will all have to consult with each other on decisions.

I'm not sure that's right. You should be able to state whether you want them to act jointly or severally. In addition, you can choose whether they act jointly or severally on specific matters, such as a house sale.

count2ten

Dec 13, 2013
I'm not sure that's right. You should be able to state whether you want them to act jointly or severally. In addition, you can choose whether they act jointly or severally on specific matters, such as a house sale.

You're right, I should know this having completed two of them! Will try and put brain in gear before engaging fingers on key board in future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27