A general question about PoA

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by CollegeGirl, Jun 15, 2015.

1. CollegeGirl

CollegeGirl Registered User

Jan 19, 2011
    North East England
    If no family member or friend is willing to act as a relative's PoA, what can that person do? Can they appoint a solicitor to be their attorney?

(I am speaking about someone who has full capacity at the time but who is looking ahead and wanting to appoint an attorney should it ever be needed.)

Many thanks.

2. Quilty

Quilty Registered User

Aug 28, 2014
    GLASGOW
    A solicitor can have poa but there will be quite high charges for their services

3. CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
    North East England
    Thank you Quilty.

4. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    Note that it is the solicitor not the firm that is the attorney so, especially if the donor is young, choose a young solicitor. Also think about a replacement attorney.

5. CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
    North East England
    Wise words nitram, thank you, especially about the replacement.

6. count2ten

count2ten Registered User

Dec 13, 2013
    You can have more than one attorney, but they will all have to consult with each other on decisions.

7. joggyb

joggyb Registered User

Dec 1, 2014
    I'm not sure that's right. You should be able to state whether you want them to act jointly or severally. In addition, you can choose whether they act jointly or severally on specific matters, such as a house sale.

8. count2ten

count2ten Registered User

Dec 13, 2013
    You're right, I should know this having completed two of them! Will try and put brain in gear before engaging fingers on key board in future.

9. CollegeGirl

Jan 19, 2011
    North East England
    Thanks anyway for taking an interest! I've had my question answered so no probs.