Forget me not: a space to share your memories and photos

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
@MaNaAk I think your dad & my mum would have got along very well!
This photo was the last Xmas in her care home in 2018. She passed away in November 2019. Mum was always reserved but dementia stripped that away as you can see 😆😍
The other photo is of my partners dad who passed away in November last year in his care home. This was taken about a month before. I think he was very pleased with his efforts. Didn’t he do well! 😍
IMG_0834.jpeg
IMG_0099.png

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
All these photos are lovely 🥰🥰 They remind me that there is a person alongside each dementia journey. Someone who laughed, loved, cried and had much richness to share. Thanks for posting. I am going to look for a suitable photo of my Granny.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
This taken in Nissaki Corfu in 2006 is one of my favourites of my wife Eileen who died in 2013
Spyros May 06 079.JPG

This one has other memories.
It was taken in a quiet corner of a cemetery in Agios Nikolaos on one of our best holidays in 2005
Selennitsa Villa 051.JPG

A return visit in 2009 was the last and worst overseas trip.
It was a difficult time ending up with X ray and CT scan in Kalamata on our wedding anniversary.
I said last overseas trip, this isn't quite true, between 2009 and 2012 we spent a lot of time at my retired daughter's holiday house in Normandy.

Last edited:

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
View attachment 68137
Dad in the lounge area outside his room at care home (note the walking stick @love.dad.but..). This was taken at about Easter just before dad passed. Good Friday was spent having hot cross buns at a cafe and at the home. On Easter Sunday we went to our favourite restaurant and then we had a stroll heading back to the where we had tea and we spoke to the family on the phone.

MaNaAk
thats a lovely picture, he looks full of fun

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
@MaNaAk I think your dad & my mum would have got along very well!
This photo was the last Xmas in her care home in 2018. She passed away in November 2019. Mum was always reserved but dementia stripped that away as you can see 😆😍
The other photo is of my partners dad who passed away in November last year in his care home. This was taken about a month before. I think he was very pleased with his efforts. Didn’t he do well! 😍View attachment 68138View attachment 68139
Hello Moggymad!

Lovely photos!

MaNaAk

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @nitram

The photos of your wife are treasures. When was she diagnosed? Did she have dementia when either of the photos were taken? She looks wonderful if she did.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Did she have dementia when either of the photos were taken?
She was a few years in the 'somethings wrong' stage and refusing a referral.
She wanted to go on holiday and I said we should ask the GP.
By prior collusion with the GP and well chosen questions she both agreed to go on holiday and to the memory clinic on return.

Translations of the Greek reports put the clinic on fast track with scans and a diagnosis of MCI, her condition rapidly worsened and in 2011 was change to severe LBD

P1000683.JPG

cropP1000630 (Large).JPG

P1000978.JPG

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It`s so sad to see the deterioration and weight loss
All are familiar to those of us who have lost and the grief is shared and very personal.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
It`s so sad to see the deterioration and weight loss
All are familiar to those of us who have lost and the grief is shared and very personal.
Yes it's not so obvious in my photo but dad lost a lot of weight because he kept saying he was full and with diabetes it was a nightmare for him. At first I tried to avoid but later I became desperate until I found a wonderful care home for respite and eventually full time care.

MaNaAk

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Today would have been my dear Mum's 92nd birthday. This was the both of us last year with a homemade cake (which Joe, I and the Carers eat most of! ). Sadly, we couldn't get any smile or any form of communication from Mum at that stage.
The second photo is a photo of her a few years ago now, in happy healthier times for her, and I like this one very much. Happy days they were.❤️

Mum birthday 2022.jpg

Mum.jpg

Will be having toast to her later 🥂
Nigel

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
A picture of a fellow world traveller and memories of when I was able to backpack alone all over the globe. Those days are long gone since my diagnosis. These magnificent sea birds with a wing span of 12 feet are now endangered. The Albatross epitomises what I am slowly losing. Independence, adventure and the excitement of exploration.

IMG_3345.jpg

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
What a healthy and lovely looking mum @Gosling snd how distressing to see the change. So sad she was unable to appreciate her cake. It looks delicious
Heartfelt thoughts for both of you today

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I’m sad for you @Dunroamin but envious of your spirit of adventure You may be losing your independence but your spirit remains strong.

How many of us have been able to do what you did and go where you travelled.

Wonderful experiences.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
That was a shockingly fast deterioration @nitram It must have been very difficult to come to terms with. Dad never reached that late stage which I am thankful for. I suppose it is the luck of the draw but it all seems very cruel.

@MaNaAk your dad looks full of fun and a bit of a charmer, just like the stories that you have told us about him and his walking stick.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Such beautiful photos @Gosling. Wonderful, if poignant memories. 💜. Thinking of you on your mum’s birthday.

@Dunroamin what a stunning photo. Your spirit still shines through. 💜