Forget me not: a space to share your memories and photos

TamsinT

Staff Member
Staff member
Sep 26, 2022
Alzheimer’s Society invite you to remember your loved ones by posting a dedication here. For our Forget-me-not appeal during the month of May, we had sponsored challenges, collections and many more fundraising efforts.

Taking a step away from fundraising, we also have a dedication page here.
Sharing a memory, picture or story on this page is a special way to honour a loved one. You can also see the memories and pictures that others have shared.
Please note that any pictures which are posted will be publicly viewable to anyone browsing the forum.
This can be a beautiful way to remember a loved one and share their story.

An image of a hand holding a bunch of forget-me-nots. Photo by Julia Zyablova on Unsplash.

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
A lovely idea 😊

Here is my husband who died in 2014 after struggling with Alzheimer’s for 9 years following his diagnosis
We had some challenging times with him including violence and aggression but it warms my heart to see this smile which greeted me on every visit to his care home. This happened once the later stages rid him of his anger, frustration and paranoia It enabled us to have 4 years of peace and contentment and gave me time to forget the trauma of the early years
IMG_0007.jpeg

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
A lovely idea 😊

Here is my husband who died in 2014 after struggling with Alzheimer’s for 9 years following his diagnosis
We had some challenging times with him including violence and aggression but it warms my heart to see this smile which greeted me on every visit to his care home. This happened once the later stages rid him of his anger, frustration and paranoia It enabled us to have 4 years of peace and contentment and gave me time to forget the trauma of the early years View attachment 67854
Such a beautiful photo @Grannie G.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
This is my husband Bill and my mum. He had Alzheimer’s and she had vascular dementia. I cared for them both in our own home.
06DEE905-D1AE-4E76-8E49-1ABB73F6B879.jpeg

That photo taken on Bill’s 80th birthday and my mum’s 93rd in a hotel in Pitlochry. My mum’s favourite place.

💜it will be 7 years in July since Bill died and 12 years in August since my mum died. They were great pals. Double trouble. 💜💜

alang

Jul 31, 2017
Leicestershire
Here is my mum Enid who had Alzheimer's & who died in February last year. I took the photo on her 89th birthday in 2020. Due to lockdown we were having a window visit at her care home. My mum's four years at the care home were happy ones, coming as they did after two very frustrating, frightening & worrying years for us both when she was living alone, but near to me, and having home carer visits. I always felt that once she was in the care home she reached a kind of state of grace, where she was no longer fighting the world.

PIC_1481.JPG

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
A lovely photo @alang I like how you felt about your mums life in the care home. It mirrors my feelings about my husband’s care and hope it helps others who really dread the idea of residential care

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
A really lovely photo of your dear Mum @alang . Window visits were not ideal - I did the same with my Mum for a while at that time - but your Mum looks so happy to see you at the window. A treasured photo I'm sure.

alang

Jul 31, 2017
Leicestershire
A really lovely photo of your dear Mum @alang . Window visits were not ideal - I did the same with my Mum for a while at that time - but your Mum looks so happy to see you at the window. A treasured photo I'm sure.
Yes, it really is. For most of her time at the care home mum was still very active & would always be busying about the place, often tucking people up with blankets & clearing away tea cups. She was a great hit with the carers!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’ve always loved that photo Sylvia.

Dhiren looks so content and you both looks so happy. So good to look back on these times 💜

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thank you @Izzy and @Gosling

The photo was taken in my husband’s care home. Taking into account how much younger I look it must have been in the early months.

I chose this photo to give hope to those who are facing the decision for residential care with dread

It is obvious how safe he felt and after so many challenges how our relationship improved from then.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
I love this thread, it puts faces to people and it is so heart warming to see all the lovely faces. This is my lovely dad Doug on our cruise to the arctic in 2014 Dad was in the early stages of his dementia but still physically fit and great fun. We had the time of our lives and loved every minute. Note the comb in his pocket, he has a comb in his pocket in almost every photo I have of him. I still have some of his combs. @Grannie G I have followed your posts since I joined DTP and it is so lovely to see not only Dhirem's face but your face too. I miss my dad very much but I like to remember him on this cruise, he was an ex seaman and never happier than when at sea.
1687779961659.jpeg

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The comb made me smile @Duggies-girl

Was your granddad a teddy boy by any chance? All the boys were forever combing their Brylcreemed hair to keep every hair in place. Circa Elvis and West Side Story

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I love this thread, it puts faces to people and it is so heart warming to see all the lovely faces. This is my lovely dad Doug on our cruise to the arctic in 2014 Dad was in the early stages of his dementia but still physically fit and great fun. We had the time of our lives and loved every minute. Note the comb in his pocket, he has a comb in his pocket in almost every photo I have of him. I still have some of his combs. @Grannie G I have followed your posts since I joined DTP and it is so lovely to see not only Dhirem's face but your face too. I miss my dad very much but I like to remember him on this cruise, he was an ex seaman and never happier than when at sea.
View attachment 68135
Just how I imagined him @Duggies-girl!

MaNaAk

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
received_2040963015951315.jpeg

Dad in the lounge area outside his room at care home (note the walking stick @love.dad.but..). This was taken at about Easter just before dad passed. Good Friday was spent having hot cross buns at a cafe and at the home. On Easter Sunday we went to our favourite restaurant and then we had a stroll heading back to the where we had tea and we spoke to the family on the phone.

MaNaAk