Does anyone have ideas for an activity coordinator please?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Think I may have seen some skittles when i was at work, but I do like your idea about water bottles. How much water would you recommend filling them up to?
Just enough for them to fall over when hit and not fly all over the place, do some experimenting.

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
Hello everyone, it is a long time since i have been on this chat and trust everyone is feeling good. I am still working hard in my residential care home and wondered if anyone can help me. I have decided to run an activity doing paper mache. I practised last night and have covered a balloon with newpaper which has now dried. I have looked online but am still unsure what to do. I need to do something easy when I do this for real at the care home. I know I can paint it but that is a bit boring? Help please. As ever thank you in advance,. xx
paper.jpg

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
If feeling artistic you could make a simplified version of
R7379093_R7379093_A.jpg

If you mould around a suitable object you can make a container which when decorated and varnished will be waterproof so you can plant bulbs/corms and get a display of flowers later on

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Hello everyone, it is a long time since i have been on this chat and trust everyone is feeling good. I am still working hard in my residential care home and wondered if anyone can help me. I have decided to run an activity doing paper mache. I practised last night and have covered a balloon with newpaper which has now dried. I have looked online but am still unsure what to do. I need to do something easy when I do this for real at the care home. I know I can paint it but that is a bit boring? Help please. As ever thank you in advance,. xxView attachment 68291

I was a primary school headteacher - my staff often made piggies from the papier-mâché balloons!

You’ve probably seen this kind of thing -

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
I was a primary school headteacher - my staff often made piggies from the papier-mâché balloons!

You’ve probably seen this kind of thing -

Loving the piglets...........will suggest this tomorrow. I have toilet rolls saved up in anticipation for an activity like this. Thank you xx

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
If feeling artistic you could make a simplified version of
R7379093_R7379093_A.jpg

If you mould around a suitable object you can make a container which when decorated and varnished will be waterproof so you can plant bulbs/corms and get a display of flowers later on
Gosh..............that would be fantastic, but too difficult for my residents. I want them to take part and do the activity. Away from work, I might just give this a go. Thank you xx

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
Just reading about these Memory Walks. Has anyone ever volunteered? Considering doing this and was after some advice/information. Thank you xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m in Scotland therefore my Memory Walks have always been for Alzheimer Scotland. I believe they work in concert with the Alzheimer Society though with this kind of fundraising.

I always have a photo of both my mum and my husband on my t-shirt as I am walking for them. I usually start a Just Giving page so that my friends and family can donate. As they are registered charities it’s easy to link your funding to them and the money goes directly to them. It used to be a big event here but of course with covid things changed a bit. For the last couple of years we did our own walks at our place and time so that there were no crowds gathering. I don’t know what the arrangements are this year. In times gone by we all met at a big local park and there were stalls etc and we had a big send off.

I’ve taken the liberty of adding some photos. The early ones were when my husband Bill took part in the walk in his wheelchair! The one on my own is of the walk I did with a friend just after the lockdown was lifted. Bill died 7 years ago this month. My mum died 12 years ago this month. I walk and raise money in their memory.

This is the Alzheimer Society information regarding the memory walks.

IMG_2421.jpeg
IMG_1099.jpeg
IMG_6100.jpeg
IMG_3109.jpeg

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
I’m in Scotland therefore my Memory Walks have always been for Alzheimer Scotland. I believe they work in concert with the Alzheimer Society though with this kind of fundraising.

I always have a photo of both my mum and my husband on my t-shirt as I am walking for them. I usually start a Just Giving page so that my friends and family can donate. As they are registered charities it’s easy to link your funding to them and the money goes directly to them. It used to be a big event here but of course with covid things changed a bit. For the last couple of years we did our own walks at our place and time so that there were no crowds gathering. I don’t know what the arrangements are this year. In times gone by we all met at a big local park and there were stalls etc and we had a big send off.

I’ve taken the liberty of adding some photos. The early ones were when my husband Bill took part in the walk in his wheelchair! The one on my own is of the walk I did with a friend just after the lockdown was lifted. Bill died 7 years ago this month. My mum died 12 years ago this month. I walk and raise money in their memory.

This is the Alzheimer Society information regarding the memory walks.

View attachment 68297View attachment 68298View attachment 68299View attachment 68300
Thank you for sharing (and providing such useful information). Lovely photos to mark the occasion. Congratulations and well done. Sorry to hear about your loss. Sending love to you xxxx I am definitely going to do it now, you have most definitely inspired me!

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
Still working hard in my residential care home as an activities support worker and having fun. I have a question though. One new resident (came from another home which is closing down) is very unsettled and is struggling to settle in. I try and engage with her but all she does the whole time is tell me she wants to go home and asks whether her family know she is here and when are they coming from her. Everyone tells me this is normal, but I must admit, I am struggling a little as it is a little sad for me. I want to make a difference and encourage her to engage with me so she enjoys being here. My question is what do I do, as I don't want to avoid her but it saddens me every time I see her. I know in time she will settle in, but it is just the in between times I am not sure what to do, I just try and change the subject or get something out of my activities cupboard to distract her. Thank you in advance for any replies. xxx

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Bless you @Living Doll
Im glad you have a heart of compassion for this new lady 🥰🥰
Your instinct to distract is great, but also acknowledge her feelings of anxiety, perhaps use a love lie and tell her she can go home tomorrow or when the doctor says so…she‘ll feel acknowledged by that response….even if it’s not true.
Perhaps her family might be able to tell you what her interests are? And you can find something from your cupboard that might reconnect with her past…

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Can you get her to talk about what she used to do, either work or hobbies?
Can she 'help' you do something?

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
Bless you @Living Doll
Im glad you have a heart of compassion for this new lady 🥰🥰
Your instinct to distract is great, but also acknowledge her feelings of anxiety, perhaps use a love lie and tell her she can go home tomorrow or when the doctor says so…she‘ll feel acknowledged by that response….even if it’s not true.
Perhaps her family might be able to tell you what her interests are? And you can find something from your cupboard that might reconnect with her past…
Thank you for your comments. I think tomorrow if the same thing happens, I will follow your guidance and explain that she will be free to go home once the Doctor has agreed she can. She has only been here for a short time, so I haven't really got to see her family, other than the day her children dropped her off and I stayed my distance as I appreciate the quality time and how stressful it is for all involved. I will also ask the office to notify me if she has any visits from family and ask if I could join them as it will assist me in engaging with her. I am always in my activity cupboard, I have just tidied and itemised everything now so I know exactly what I have got and what i need. I agree with having a heart of compassion. I am just loving this job and can't wait to go back tomorrow. xxxx

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
Can you get her to talk about what she used to do, either work or hobbies?
Can she 'help' you do something?
At the moment it is proving very difficult for me. Being new to this role, I am learning as I go along. When I am with this lady she just repeatedly says the same thing over and over again that she want to go home and asks where her family are. I change the subject for a split second to only go back over the same conversation. As explained earlier, it is very stressful. I wish I could do more. But so happy for this forum as everyone is lovely, just like yourself and encourages and shares their love. So thank you all very much xxx

Living Doll

Jan 31, 2023
Just wanted to thank everyone for all the help/assistance/advice I have received since joining. I am sorry to say that today I resigned from my position as "Activities Co-ordinator" . Sadly I had no choice as I had no support from Managers/Co-workers or outside organisations. Felt a little alone and unsupported. I have learned a great deal and have used lots of your ideas and suggestions. Thank you everyone. All take care and all the best for the future. xxxxx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im so sorry it didnt work out, you were always so full of enthusiasm
I hope you find something that suits you better
xx

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Sad you are leaving, you sounded so good for the residents, a real positive contribution to their lives. I know from when my Mum was alive and in her Home how important the Activities Co ordinator can be to them. I wish you well, and that you find somewhere where your enthusiasm will be supported and applauded.