another funny!! dementia thing

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
A few years ago we took my mum to the hospital for an appointment. Mum had dementia but she was there for cancer treatment. The nurse spoke to mum but she didn't respond. I said mum was deaf to which she said," no I'm not,I'm not deaf!"
Within a couple of minutes the nurse spoke again to mum,. Mum said " you'll have to speak up dear,I'm deaf".
The nurse looked at me and we both found it hard to contain our giggles.🤣

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Not had quite so many recently as he isn't well but...
Driving along a country road there were dozens of potholes.
Me: it's about time the council did something to get rid of these potholes.
OH: they can't do that ,people wouldn't have anything to cook food in.

🤣🤣Think he's confusing potholes with pots and pans !

Scarlet Lady

Apr 6, 2021
😂😂 Thank you all so much for brightening up a dull Sunday! I haven’t had such a good laugh in ages. Always good to be reminded that there is still humour to be found in this difficult life we lead.

PammieA

Jan 17, 2024
I agree, humour definitely makes things a little better. However, my mum has started telling me (not thinking I'm her daughter), all about her first husband (my Dad), who was not nice, so she found another man (my stepdad), but she had to keep him a secret.
I had my suspicions that mun was having an affair - now I know it was true.
I wonder what other secrets will come out.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
I agree, humour definitely makes things a little better. However, my mum has started telling me (not thinking I'm her daughter), all about her first husband (my Dad), who was not nice, so she found another man (my stepdad), but she had to keep him a secret.
Mmm well we all have "skeletons in the cupboard "!
I do family history and I remember my mum saying not to be surprised at family skeletons. Not sure what she was referring to ,not found any murderers yet thank goodness!

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
One of my treasured moments was when I was heading to bed one night and mum said ‘where are you going to sleep?’. I pointed to my room and she said ‘Oh that’s Rachel’s room (me) but it looks like she’s away so use the room..dont’ tell her I said this, she’s very kind but I’m afraid she’s quite messy, I do apologise’.

All secrets out with dementia!!!

love the pots and pans …..I shant pass a pothole again without thinking of that one🤣🤣

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Well @PammieA they say that in doing research into family history, it's a lucky person who can trace his/her ancestry all the way back to his/her father! ;)o_O

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
One of my treasured moments was when I was heading to bed one night and mum said ‘where are you going to sleep?’. I pointed to my room and she said ‘Oh that’s Rachel’s room (me) but it looks like she’s away so use the room..dont’ tell her I said this, she’s very kind but I’m afraid she’s quite messy, I do apologise’.

All secrets out with dementia!!!

love the pots and pans …..I shant pass a pothole again without thinking of that one🤣🤣
Yes , they're good at telling a few home truths although my OH can mix them with some awful untruths !!

MinaBina

Apr 27, 2024
After having tried vanish soap and carpet shampoo to get the blood drips out of the carpet, from oh nose bleed, and having no success I resorted to Google. White vinegar on the spots has worked but the room smells like a chip shop! Wish I'd waited til the morning 😂
I always have white vinegar for cleaning. Last week I came downstairs and could smell vinegar. OH was in the kitchen I asked him what he was doing with the vinegar. He said he wasn’t using vinegar. I saw the empty 5 litre container ( which was full the day before) he said it was water and he had emptied it down the sink because he wanted to fill it with water.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
I always have white vinegar for cleaning. Last week I came downstairs and could smell vinegar. OH was in the kitchen I asked him what he was doing with the vinegar. He said he wasn’t using vinegar. I saw the empty 5 litre container ( which was full the day before) he said it was water and he had emptied it down the sink because he wanted to fill it with water.
🤣🤣🤣 Strange logic. But ...at least we can laugh about it. I know my OH would have before dementia.

I think he may have known it wasn't water he was emptying but couldn't remember the real name.
My oh says he wants to let out water when he wants the toilet. 🙂

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
at least he didnt drink it!!!

scotlass

Jul 9, 2023
you should have poured some baking soda and boiling water down along with it,,,it would have cleared the drains...

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Another..
Just showered my OH.
Whilst drying himself: I don't know why, I'm wet through
Mm... good, I thought that was the idea of a shower!

And...
Trying out the new NHS wheelchair, I sat my OH into the chair.
Oh: Are you getting in as well?
Me: I don't think there's room for me
OH: I'll move up for you.

🤣 Not too sure where he was thinking of moving up to and certainly wouldn't like to be the person trying to push both of us !

Anthoula

Apr 22, 2022
I had to giggle - yesterday OH took all his underpants out of the bedroom drawer where they had always been stored and put them all into a drawer in his study/den marked "Envelopes"!