Will not go to bed :

Andy63

Jul 30, 2022
My wife has reached the stage where she is reluctant to go to bed, just sits in her chair and refuses to move. Left her for 30mins, came back, same problem. Persuaded her to stand so I could fit a night incontinence pad, took her to the stairs 'no I cant' she says, but then back in the chair again. I have locked the doors, but find it difficult to sleep myself because I worry what she is doing. Try to keep her awake during the day, TV off, no coffee. No good, she just fights me until her mood changes. So tiring all this. Anyone experience and found solutions please? Thanks

backin

Feb 6, 2024
No my mum was the same. They lose sense of time.
I used to drop in on the Alexa at 2am and ask her to go to bed, sleeping in her chair was no good for her cellulitis.
One night I stayed logged in watching something on TV and she had gone to bed and got up 10mins later.

Pacucho

I'm afraid my mum was the same, and she also lost her sense of time. I believe it was basically her dementia impacting on her body clock.
What helped me was keeping a diary of how mum was, whether she slept, etc. and was astonished to discover she had a 4 day cycle, where she would sleep one night in 4.
One thing I didn't do - which I would recommend - is going back to the memory clinic (make an urgent referral) to see what medications (if any) may be able to help. Better to go to the memory clinic rather than just rely on the GP as they have the experience.
Hope this helps,
Paco

Andy63

Jul 30, 2022
I'm afraid my mum was the same, and she also lost her sense of time. I believe it was basically her dementia impacting on her body clock.
What helped me was keeping a diary of how mum was, whether she slept, etc. and was astonished to discover she had a 4 day cycle, where she would sleep one night in 4.
One thing I didn't do - which I would recommend - is going back to the memory clinic (make an urgent referral) to see what medications (if any) may be able to help. Better to go to the memory clinic rather than just rely on the GP as they have the experience.
Hope this helps,
Paco
Thank you that's very good advice. She has been ok last couple of days, but will refer when it starts again. Let's hope she forgotten the memory clinic, the last visit resulted in lots of anger and tears! The doctor asked her to sit in reception and just chatted to me, not generally impressed.

Blissy

Jan 29, 2023
My husband had also lost sense of time and we are up a number of times in the night and once it gets to about 5am with the light mornings he is up and down every half hour or so. A good idea of yours Pacucho to keep a diary to see if a pattern emerges, I will start one and then make an appt with the GP to see if there is medication we can try. Not seen anyone at a memory clinic, only hospital visits to do with dementia have been when he collapsed and following a scan vascular dementia was added to the diagnosis of Alzheimers that was made about 4 years ago. Hope you find something that helps Andy.