Voting and mental capacity

DaftDad

Apr 8, 2024
I had no idea, until I just looked it up, that a person remains eligible to vote in an election, irrespective of their mental capacity. How on Earth is that right?

It's on the Electoral Commission website:

Voting rights​

While electors with any level or no level of mental capacity may be registered to vote, the decision as to whether and how to vote at an election must be made by the elector themselves and not by any other person on their behalf. Those who care for or who otherwise make decisions on behalf of a person may not make decisions on voting.
I'm baffled that someone deemed to lack the mental capacity to make decisions such as where they live, whether they have medical procedures etc. can make their own decisions about voting. Many people deemed to lack capacity still have the ability to go to a polling station or could (attempt to) complete a postal ballot.

I'm searching about this, as my Dad has obviously received his polling card, but has repeatedly asked me about when he should go to the local primary school (polling station) to register to vote. I've explained several times that he's already registered and the card is proof of that, but he has asked every day since getting the card through. I don't want him randomly trying to get into a primary school during school hours, which he is quite likely to do.

I don't want anyone deprived of their right to vote, but I am surprised that even lacking capacity, someone is asked to make a decision like this, which is pretty significant.

Anyhow, I shall see if I can go on 2nd May and take my Dad to vote. Does anyone know how you provide proof to the presiding officer that the person has dementia and may need assistance? And is it likely to be ridiculous that the person with dementia is being assisted by a person who herself may need assistance?! I would hope a primary school is wheelchair accessible, but knowing it's a Victorian building, I am really not sure.

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
A postal vote was arranged for my Mum. That way, assistance can be quietly given. Her political views have always been very clear, so Dad can make sure she makes the contribution she would wish.

DaftDad

Apr 8, 2024
A postal vote was arranged for my Mum. That way, assistance can be quietly given. Her political views have always been very clear, so Dad can make sure she makes the contribution she would wish.
I think it's too late to go postal for this set of elections but I'll get Dad set up postal for the ones after yes. I hadn't even thought about it until he started asking me about registering etc.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Does anyone know how you provide proof to the presiding officer that the person has dementia and may need assistance? And is it likely to be ridiculous that the person with dementia is being assisted by a person who herself may need assistance?! I would hope a primary school is wheelchair accessible, but knowing it's a Victorian building, I am really not sure.
Hello @DaftDad the links below might be helpful for you as they explain how to arrange for assistance at the polling station if you need it, and also how a person with dementia can have a companion to assist them. It doesn't look like any 'proof' of dementia or the need for assistance is required so hopefully if you let the council know in advance they will be able to make suitable arrangements for you and your husband:

Local authorities have a responsibility to ensure polling stations are accessible. If you need assistance, either contact your local council in advance, or speak to the staff at your polling station

A person with dementia can also have a companion to assist them at the polling station. The companion must be a close relative (spouse, civil partner, son or daughter). The Presiding Officer at the polling station will be able to provide more information.

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/blog/can-people-with-dementia-vote

Enfrance

Mar 18, 2020
In some respects this is similar to someone with sight issues. Pointing out the box in which to mark the cross by another person rather does away with the secrecy! In fact, last time it caused some hilarity when my wife asked in a loud voice, ‘which is the Labour man?’ I know the staff realised she had dementia but only the sight issue was a concern of sorts :)