NEW TO THIS

maintience

Nov 13, 2020
I have a wife and we have been married 24 years and she has dementia. I need to know what to do, she sleeps a lot. We watch TV together and she does alright. She does not seem to hear me sometimes and I have her hold my arm to walk ( she takes small steps) and she gets tired easily. We have 2 dogs and sometimes she forgets their names. My question how far along is she and how can I help? Really need help want her as long as I can.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Hi @maintience and welcome TP where compassions, understandings and knowledge abound. Your description of your wife’s actions mirrors many of my wife who was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease nearly 6 years ago which means little as all who are afflicted will travel their journey at different speeds and in different ways but help will be at hand from many here I am sure.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @maintience.

I’m sorry to hear about your wife’s dementia and understand how hard things must be. My husband used to sleep a lot and I think that’s common in people who have dementia.

You’ve come to the right place for help and support. There will always be someone here to listen and understand.

It’s hard to say how far along your wife is. As @Agzy says everyone experiences dementia a differently. I wondered if you would find this factsheet helpful -

Please keep posting here. You’ll find the members very supportive.

maintience

Nov 13, 2020
Hi @maintience and welcome TP where compassions, understandings and knowledge abound. Your description of your wife’s actions mirrors many of my wife who was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s disease nearly 6 years ago which means little as all who are afflicted will travel their journey at different speeds and in different ways but help will be at hand from many here I am sure.
Thank you for support

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
On a lighter note, if a PWD is sleeping peacefully a lot that's not much of a problem. The problems arise when they're not asleep!

maintience

Nov 13, 2020
Anyone answer this for me. My wife Ruth tells me she is tired always and she is in bed but sometimes just lays there not sleeping. She would rather stay laying down. Is this ok for me to let her. I have seen pictures of Dementia people sitting in chairs at windows looking outside how far can they see? Just trying to make sure I am doing right for her.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
probably just needs a rest from the world. maybe she trying to sort out her world and make sense of it. that can be tiring.
may not be anything wrong with theie eye sight and can see the same as someone without dementia. they might appearing to be seeing out of the window but not seeing but in their own world, their own reality. its hard to work out whats going through their minds and what they interpret whilst looking out of the window. could be their memories.

annieka 56

Aug 8, 2022
Hello maintience

It sounds like your wife does get up and mobile , needing a bit of support from you to walk etc So it will be lovely if this continues.
So I think if she likes to spend a long time in bed and is comfortable, then maybe that's what she needs at present. It could be a phase and things probably will change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kdickson3012