UTI Testing help please

Pammy50

Apr 2, 2023
I have seen on the forum about UTI's but can you tell me about the tests. My husband has Alzheimer's so if I suspect a UTI do I have to take him to the doctors or can you get tests to do at home. thank you

backin

Feb 6, 2024
You can either get a bottle from docs and collect a sample or you can buy test sticks

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Pammy50 as @backin says you can either request a test through your GP or purchase test strips from your GP.
It takes longer to get the results back from the doctor but it is more accurate.

It can be hard to read the test strips that you purchase and if the result is positive the doctors will still probably ask for a sample before they would prescribe anything.

Silversally

Aug 18, 2022
I have seen on the forum about UTI's but can you tell me about the tests. My husband has Alzheimer's so if I suspect a UTI do I have to take him to the doctors or can you get tests to do at home. thank you
Superdrug sell some UTI tests which are fairly easy to read but they are expensive. I got some others much cheaper from Amazon but find them less clear.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I would always contact the GP as first point of call. If they are unhelpful the amazon / Superdrug test kits can be helpful. Mum’s GP and now carehome are always quick to test if suspected but I know everyone isn’t so fortunate

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
Some GP surgeries will only accept a urine sample if it has been taken in their own supplied kit or if has been authorised by a GP.

Blissy

Jan 29, 2023
My surgery is very good. If I suspect UTI then I take a sample for a dip test by them and if indicates could be infection they prescribe a broad spectrum anti biotic while they awaits results from the lab. They will only accept proper urine bottles so ask your surgery for a few. I know some surgeries charge now though. They can also be purchased from the chemist.

victoriab70

Mar 23, 2024
If the GP surgery is helpful, ask them for a few sample kits to keep at home. When he or you suspects a UTI you can do a test and take it in. I have chronic kidney disease and don’t recommend buying dipsticks, they are a waste of money as the GP will want to do the test again anyway. Also depending on the frequency of UTIs you might want to discuss Antibiotic prophylaxis with your GP. Good luck and take care.