Step dad is hiding mums money 😔

Jacky290

Apr 24, 2024
Hi all,
Really hope someone can give me guidance…
My mum has been in interim care for 11 weeks, currently waiting for 24 hour carehome. My stepdad wont tell us anything but I did managed to get in to the social worker meeting (after kicking up a massive fuss) He has LPOA for health and finance. When asked by SW if mum has any savings he said no nothing… however they had a holiday home which recently sold last August so we know mum has money.
In the meantime we checked land registry to find out that he had removed mums name off the deeds a few years ago. (shes lost all capacity, we have no idea if she even knew this…)

just before mum went into care they decided to put the house they live in on the market (our childhood home that was mums originally) this way to purchase a house close to his family and to have a bedroom for mum downstairs. Things have now changed and mum will never be going home 💔

Our issue is that mum clearly has money but hes changed the deeds to the holiday home to his name. So the sale of that went into his account not a joint account, which means when they do the financial assessment this wont show at all.

Adult services dont really seem to be listening, we’ve contacted the police and they say is a vulnerable adult non crime and have referred us back to social services. The public guardian have said that because he changed the deeds before he had LPOA they cant act unless we have more evidence.

I just dont know what else I can do.

I believe he's not acting in mums best interest at all and is more interested in moving into his new home. I just want mum to have the best but feel like everything is out of my hands! Even the carehome wont give us any updates because he's stated that any information must go to him and not me!

If anyone has any ideas i would be soooooooooo greatful!

sue31

Oct 2, 2023
Medway
Hi all,
Really hope someone can give me guidance…
My mum has been in interim care for 11 weeks, currently waiting for 24 hour carehome. My stepdad wont tell us anything but I did managed to get in to the social worker meeting (after kicking up a massive fuss) He has LPOA for health and finance. When asked by SW if mum has any savings he said no nothing… however they had a holiday home which recently sold last August so we know mum has money.
In the meantime we checked land registry to find out that he had removed mums name off the deeds a few years ago. (shes lost all capacity, we have no idea if she even knew this…)

just before mum went into care they decided to put the house they live in on the market (our childhood home that was mums originally) this way to purchase a house close to his family and to have a bedroom for mum downstairs. Things have now changed and mum will never be going home 💔

Our issue is that mum clearly has money but hes changed the deeds to the holiday home to his name. So the sale of that went into his account not a joint account, which means when they do the financial assessment this wont show at all.

Adult services dont really seem to be listening, we’ve contacted the police and they say is a vulnerable adult non crime and have referred us back to social services. The public guardian have said that because he changed the deeds before he had LPOA they cant act unless we have more evidence.

I just dont know what else I can do.

I believe he's not acting in mums best interest at all and is more interested in moving into his new home. I just want mum to have the best but feel like everything is out of my hands! Even the carehome wont give us any updates because he's stated that any information must go to him and not me!

If anyone has any ideas i would be soooooooooo greatful!
Wow!
How awful for her family.
There are steps you can take, I would be contacting the OPG to discuss this.

1713993005708.jpeg

Dave63

Apr 13, 2022
The public guardian have said that because he changed the deeds before he had LPOA they cant act unless we have more evidence.
I think you're probably best getting some legal advice from someone who is expert in this area. It sounds pretty complex.

I believe the financial assessment people in social services can go back as far as they want when there's a suspicion of deprivation of assets. There's a myth about it only being seven years but that's not true apparently.