Sorry … second rant of the day!

Purple rain 50

Jan 29, 2023
So our day goes something like this …

6.30 mum calls me “where are you, please come, what time will you be here?”
7.00 calls again “what time will you be here?” Followed by a reason that I urgently need to get to her
Several calls follow, gradually calming down & accepting that I will arrive at agreed time.

11.00 I arrive, mum has been back in bed sleeping (ok for some) & a couple hours of agitation follows “what’s wrong with me? Am I going barmy!”
(Me thinks, she’s not safe to be left alone anymore)

Eventually settles down, relaxed that I’m in the house & does her colouring

Mid afternoon, mood improves & she starts to call friends to make arrangements to meet “if I could just get my social life restarted / leg better everything will be fine again” (friends ring following day to confirm time they’re meeting “I can’t come out, I’m too ill”

18.00 give Mirtazapine for anxiety & leave 30 mins later to go home. Mum waves me off with a happy “see you tomorrow “

(me thinks, oh she’s fine, what was I worried about?)

A few phonecalls through the evening “just checking your nr” & then “I’m off to bed now” ( me breathes a sigh of relief & takes a big gulp of wine 😂)

Tonight she rang to say she’d been chatting to her SIL & we’re all going to meet up for lunch in large town 30 miles away (half way point between them).

I managed not to say “but mum, when we drove 10 mins to the coast for some fresh air today, it made you extremely anxious & you couldn’t wait to get home!” Obviously, I just agreed & said yes, let’s get something arranged but for some reason this has really wound me up today!

Am I just making her illness up?! Is she manipulating me because she’s lonely?

Are these mood swings / changes “normal” for a PWD?

Rant nr 2 over … somebody pass the chocolate / wine / icecream 😂

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
So our day goes something like this …

6.30 mum calls me “where are you, please come, what time will you be here?”
7.00 calls again “what time will you be here?” Followed by a reason that I urgently need to get to her
Several calls follow, gradually calming down & accepting that I will arrive at agreed time.

11.00 I arrive, mum has been back in bed sleeping (ok for some) & a couple hours of agitation follows “what’s wrong with me? Am I going barmy!”
(Me thinks, she’s not safe to be left alone anymore)

Eventually settles down, relaxed that I’m in the house & does her colouring

Mid afternoon, mood improves & she starts to call friends to make arrangements to meet “if I could just get my social life restarted / leg better everything will be fine again” (friends ring following day to confirm time they’re meeting “I can’t come out, I’m too ill”

18.00 give Mirtazapine for anxiety & leave 30 mins later to go home. Mum waves me off with a happy “see you tomorrow “

(me thinks, oh she’s fine, what was I worried about?)

A few phonecalls through the evening “just checking your nr” & then “I’m off to bed now” ( me breathes a sigh of relief & takes a big gulp of wine 😂)

Tonight she rang to say she’d been chatting to her SIL & we’re all going to meet up for lunch in large town 30 miles away (half way point between them).

I managed not to say “but mum, when we drove 10 mins to the coast for some fresh air today, it made you extremely anxious & you couldn’t wait to get home!” Obviously, I just agreed & said yes, let’s get something arranged but for some reason this has really wound me up today!

Am I just making her illness up?! Is she manipulating me because she’s lonely?

Are these mood swings / changes “normal” for a PWD?

Rant nr 2 over … somebody pass the chocolate / wine / icecream 😂
I think you should consider carers or a befriender.

MaNaAk

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes, @Purple rain 50 these mood swings are normal.
She is beginning to develop the fear of being on her own that is so common in the mid - stages of dementia. They need someone around all the time to reassure and direct them. When someone is with them, though, they forget this. They are calmer and forget all their fears, so think they can do much more than they actually can

gwen5

Sep 3, 2023
My heart goes out to you... I feel lucky cause my 87yr. old mom is in a long-term care home... still I am dreading our weekly visits as she is rapidly losing cognition. She had a major stroke 5.5yrs ago leaving her paralyzed and wheelchaired. She was a Scrabble master and wants to play every time I visit ... It's TORTUROUS!!! Please make sure to take care of yourself... cause at times it's all a little too much. Best wishes