Say hello and introduce yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

zandralapoi

Apr 7, 2024
Shame friend, I know it isn't easy and at times if feels like you have no life at all...nor able to be the you, you once were..but I believe wuth help support and people to talk to it can be a little easier
Thank you, it is. I thought when we sorted Mum that was the end. Then Auntie started!!

amandaT1962

Apr 8, 2024
Hi - My sister has just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's after being admitted into hospital following a fall down some stairs and breaking both her arms. She is due to be discharged from hospital but cannot return to her home address where she lives alone, as it is deemed unsafe for her. The hospital plan to discharge her to the homeless team and we have told she could end up in a hostel or hotel room. Does anyone know what rights we have to challenge this as in my opinion this is unsafe knowing now her diagnosis.

keith86

Apr 8, 2024
Hello,

New member here.

I've joined this forum in the hope to get some support for my mum. She is 68 and has been suffering from short term memory issues for a couple of years now. She has been for CT/MRI scans and has undergone various memory tests that would typically be done for memory issues.

Nothing has been picked up or diagnosed, which is quite frustrating, as she is still suffering from memory loss. The most notable things would be big life events, such as a the death of a close family friend that she doesn't remember passing away, or it can be simple things like remembering something that has been discussed hours before and then discussing this several times again. It is definitely the short term memory that seems to be bad.

The doctors are more or less at the point where they can't really do anything further, although we are now pushing for further tests.

We understand that she needs to keep herself active both physically and mentally, but for some reason she doesn't seem to be capable of initiating or going to things herself, unless it's something that she is used to doing. The community nurse tried to get her involved in an over 50's group, but the following day she has forgotten all about them and then it's just completely forgotten about for future get togethers.

She is still managing to go about her daily life and still does her weekly shopping, which involves a short car journey. She seems to be managing this.

We see her regularly to go out for walks or catch up over a coffee, but we feel like every time we are now having the same conversation over and over.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Keith

Kez100

Apr 8, 2024
Hi,

My 83 year old Dad has recently had a brain scan and memory assessment and we expect a diagnosis of Vascular Dementia and Alzheimers.

He is currently living alone, as we lost Mum in 2022, but we are aware things will change as his illness progresses. It seems unlikely that he will be able to have the medication on offer due to his other medical issues (one kidney due to cancer, chronic kidney disease, controlled high BP, medicated atrial fibbulation).

I currently care for him from 80 miles away with regular stays over, video calling, phone calling, district nurse calling, medication and catheter arrangements, systems and prompting. At the moment he is staying with us for a week and we are going away for two days which might not be the best idea but it's risk and reward as he can see his adult grandchildren this way and we can take him to a family funeral that he really wants to attend.

We've noticed a stepped decline over the past two years, the past year very obvious.

I'm here to learn and for a virtual handhold.

MonkeyFeet

Mar 28, 2024
Hi all, my Dad got diagnosed with Alzheimer's a year ago and now deteriorated drastically in last few months. He is not seeing anyone about it. Its wworrying . He is on meds for it but he himself can't see the deterioration and won't contact anyone. Any advice on what to do?

Bambam66

Apr 8, 2024
Hello! My name is Sally and my mum is struggling massively With depression and dementia. We have been to the doctors quite a few times now and he has increased her anti depressants but nothing seems to make her happy at all. It’s very debilitating for everyone

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hi,

My 83 year old Dad has recently had a brain scan and memory assessment and we expect a diagnosis of Vascular Dementia and Alzheimers.

He is currently living alone, as we lost Mum in 2022, but we are aware things will change as his illness progresses. It seems unlikely that he will be able to have the medication on offer due to his other medical issues (one kidney due to cancer, chronic kidney disease, controlled high BP, medicated atrial fibbulation).

I currently care for him from 80 miles away with regular stays over, video calling, phone calling, district nurse calling, medication and catheter arrangements, systems and prompting. At the moment he is staying with us for a week and we are going away for two days which might not be the best idea but it's risk and reward as he can see his adult grandchildren this way and we can take him to a family funeral that he really wants to attend.

We've noticed a stepped decline over the past two years, the past year very obvious.

I'm here to learn and for a virtual handhold.
Hi @Kez100 and welcome although sorry to hear about your dad, a diagnosis can be a shock even if it is expected. Caring from a distance is not easy and you are not alone, quite a few members here are in this position and sometimes just knowing that there are others out there in the same boat who understand helps. This is a friendly and supportive community with a wealth of useful information so you have come to the right place for a virtual handhold, there is always someone here to listen when you need advice, support or just to have a vent too if you need to.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hi all, my Dad got diagnosed with Alzheimer's a year ago and now deteriorated drastically in last few months. He is not seeing anyone about it. Its wworrying . He is on meds for it but he himself can't see the deterioration and won't contact anyone. Any advice on what to do?

Hi @MonkeyFeet welcome to the forum, it's good that you've found us as there is lots of support and friendly help and advice here. It's understandable that you're worried about your dad's deterioration, and if he won't contact his GP himself then it may be helpful for you to contact them to let them know about your concerns. You could perhaps send the surgery an email to explain the specific changes in your dad, with examples, and say that he is reluctant to see the GP. They may then be able to call him in for a routine check-up or medication review as sometimes a change in dosage or medication can make a difference. Hope this helps, keep posting to let us know how you are getting on.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello! My name is Sally and my mum is struggling massively With depression and dementia. We have been to the doctors quite a few times now and he has increased her anti depressants but nothing seems to make her happy at all. It’s very debilitating for everyone
Hello Sally @Bambam66 and welcome to the forum. Although depression can be common with dementia it's a really difficult thing to witness in a loved one, and not easy to deal with. My mum was on anti-depressants for a while and it can take some time to find the right medication at the right dose as it tends to be a case of trial and error to find what works best. Plus it can take a while for the medication to start working too. I wonder if a referral to the older adults mental health team may be helpful as they will have more experience of dealing with dementia than most GP's and can carry out a more 'holistic' review of your mum. Perhaps have a chat with your mum's GP about a possible referral when you next visit them? There's a lot of shared experience here so others may be along with more suggestions too but I hope this helps.

jobabe30

Mar 4, 2023
Hi

I am a first time poster. My father in law has dementia and my mother in law is struggling to cope. I am trying to get her to join the forum but am looking for coping methods yo share with her. We don’t want to look like we are criticising her.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @jobabe.

Your mum will find no criticism on this site. All she will find is help understanding and assurance all her feelings and difficulties are normal.

It will help to stop her feeling so isolated and give her a safe place to off load and share her feelings.

I do hope she will join us. We`ve all been in similar situations and found it very difficult indeed.

Angeldust

Apr 7, 2024
Hello,

New member here.

I've joined this forum in the hope to get some support for my mum. She is 68 and has been suffering from short term memory issues for a couple of years now. She has been for CT/MRI scans and has undergone various memory tests that would typically be done for memory issues.

Nothing has been picked up or diagnosed, which is quite frustrating, as she is still suffering from memory loss. The most notable things would be big life events, such as a the death of a close family friend that she doesn't remember passing away, or it can be simple things like remembering something that has been discussed hours before and then discussing this several times again. It is definitely the short term memory that seems to be bad.

The doctors are more or less at the point where they can't really do anything further, although we are now pushing for further tests.

We understand that she needs to keep herself active both physically and mentally, but for some reason she doesn't seem to be capable of initiating or going to things herself, unless it's something that she is used to doing. The community nurse tried to get her involved in an over 50's group, but the following day she has forgotten all about them and then it's just completely forgotten about for future get togethers.

She is still managing to go about her daily life and still does her weekly shopping, which involves a short car journey. She seems to be managing this.

We see her regularly to go out for walks or catch up over a coffee, but we feel like every time we are now having the same conversation over and over.

Thanks

Keith
Hi Keith,

The only advise I am able to give at this stage is have patience. Do not use terms like "Don't you remeber" or "you already told me that"..it is frustrating at time but due to the short term memory loss you can only humor mum. It's very difficult. But you've got this. Just takes time

Angeldust

Apr 7, 2024
Hi

I am a first time poster. My father in law has dementia and my mother in law is struggling to cope. I am trying to get her to join the forum but am looking for coping methods yo share with her. We don’t want to look like we are criticising her.
Hello there has mum tried to get a home care giver to help her with day to day life?

I have hired a nurse to help with bathing feeding etc. For father in law and It does take a little of the pressure off.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee

Welcome to the forum @keith86. I’m siorry to hear about your mum. I thought you might find this thread useful -

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hi

Welcome from me also @jobabe30 to this friendly and supportive forum.

I'm sorry to read about your Father in law, and the difficulties you and your Mother in law are having trying to cope. It is so tough, but please do remember this forum is full of understanding members, good advice based on experience, and support at all times. Please do have a good look around the forums, as there is lots of shared experience to be found.

MemoryAsk

Apr 9, 2024
Hi everyone,

I'm Josh. Last year my nana passed away after a battle with Alzheimers and now my step dad has dementia/parkinsons. Here for resources and to provide resources as well, thanks!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @MemoryAsk.

I’m so sorry to read about your nana and your step dad. How hard for you.

You’ve come to the right place for understanding and support.

MemoryAsk

Apr 9, 2024
Welcome to the forum @MemoryAsk.

I’m so sorry to read about your nana and your step dad. How hard for you.

You’ve come to the right place for understanding and support.
Appreciate it, Izzy. I'm building an AI app to help him and have posted it in the technology section. I've gotten great feedback on it so far. Look forward to seeing what other resources there are.

Angeldust

Apr 7, 2024
Hi everyone,

I'm Josh. Last year my nana passed away after a battle with Alzheimers and now my step dad has dementia/parkinsons. Here for resources and to provide resources as well, thanks!
Uti's and lung infections are the cause of most deaths in dimentia and Parkinson disease...what I have learned today with father in law is depression and hallucinations caused by a uti causing less urination and swelling of a leg. We had everything under control until a supplement of zinc was giving.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharks2108