Research study: caring for a person with dementia and your experiences of social services

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
@Rishile
Your long story would be SO good for social work trainees to hear. you have such experience to share of both good and bad practice.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I completely agree @Rishile. All of us here want to advocate for dementia and carers rights but the nature of the beast means we don’t have the time and headspace to share our knowledge

Rishile

Dec 28, 2022
A lot of the information is on this forum from January 2023 if @HarrietD would like to read through my messages. I would happily answer any questions if required.

Karen Atkinson

Apr 5, 2024
Can I ask if this is a question/answer request or do you want a 'story'? I have a long story to tell but it could take a long time for me to complete as my carer duties take up a lot of my time.
Hi @Rishile, yes I'm very much interested in carers' stories. It doesn't matter how long it takes and you can choose what format you want to tell this - email, via Conversation option on this forum, or by Zoom or Teams face-to-face. I am happy with whatever you feel most comfortable with. If you would like to go forward, can you email me at karen.atkinson@sunderland.ac.uk and I will send you some more information about the study along with a Consent form to sign to agree participation. Looking forward to hearing from you. Karen

jen O

May 6, 2024
Thanks so much for replying. It's interesting that you see the service having gone downhill but I am pleased to hear you previously had excellent support when you needed it.

Hi Izzy, can you contact me by directly by messaging me through this forum (click on my name and then 'Start conversation'), or by tbfeed themselves oerllllemailing me at karen.atkinson@sunderland.ac.uk. At the moment (I think because I am new to the forum), I can't see an option to open Conversations myself (I think I have to post 10 times to do that)
I agree service freewheeling downhill. What will you u guys so in ten fifteen years?? whenb someone with dementia who cant feed or drink themselves and who is incontinent or commicate doesn't qualify for funding or has to jump through hoops. And yet the ppl who run residential homes are allowed to run them for profit. When I say profit I mean millions m