Primary progressive aphasia PPA

Mjr57

May 10, 2024
My husband 71 is undergoing tests for PPA, (scan booked) but consultant seemed pretty sure that is what he has. I’ve read about it but has anyone been diagnosed or a carer for this illness I’m 66 and we’ve been married 46 years. Feeling very sad at the moment

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I just want to welcome you to the forum @Mjr57 although I doubt I can be of much help.

I worked with children with PPA in special education but have no experience of it with adults.

Language is the most important form of communication and if you can get the help of a speech and language therapist while your husband is in the early stages, they might be able to suggest a workable alternative to use instead of speech and comprehension.

Stay with the forum. There may be someone with experience of PPA in adults who will be able to help.

Mjr57

May 10, 2024
I just want to welcome you to the forum @Mjr57 although I doubt I can be of much help.

I worked with children with PPA in special education but have no experience of it with adults.

Language is the most important form of communication and if you can get the help of a speech and language therapist while your husband is in the early stages, they might be able to suggest a workable alternative to use instead of speech and comprehension.

Stay with the forum. There may be someone with experience of PPA in adults who will be able to help.
Hi Grannie G
Thanks for replying. Early days for us. We will know more after the scan and maybe get some advice and help after that. I am secretly hoping he’s wrong, no harm in that!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John_Hat