Hello need advice please

DianeMarie

May 20, 2024
Hello, my Dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s last year. He has been prescribed medication to slow it down which we are happy about. His short term memory is extremely bad sadly. I just ask if anyone has ideas about controlling medication. He takes 7 tablets in the morning and 5 in the evening. Up until a couple of weeks ago we had weekly pill box and he would take them himself with breakfast then at teatime. This has now become a major problem as I just about caught him just about to take another 7 tablets even though he’d already had them for the morning. He got confused what day it was and forgot he’d already taken them. As a family we have decided to remove all medication and one family member pops in twice a day and gives them to Dad. Does anyone know if there is a timed / lockable pill box available?

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Not a clue so no help from me, other than a hello and welcome.
Always someone here to listen and help if and where we can.
Medication is or can be a nightmare, I administered it rather than being on the recieving end, it's not easy. K

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
We used a Tabtime pill dispenser for FIL - you programme it to dispense tablets up to 4 times a day - an alarm goes off and you have to tip them out to shut it up - the rest of the tablets are locked inside the machine until the next programmed time. FIL loved it as he liked gadgets.
MIL's social worker got the pharmacy to dispense her tablets into a similar machine but not many pharmacies will fill automatic dispensers - it is worth asking as 'it is a safeguarding issue due to overmedication'

victoriab70

Mar 23, 2024
Hello, my Dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s last year. He has been prescribed medication to slow it down which we are happy about. His short term memory is extremely bad sadly. I just ask if anyone has ideas about controlling medication. He takes 7 tablets in the morning and 5 in the evening. Up until a couple of weeks ago we had weekly pill box and he would take them himself with breakfast then at teatime. This has now become a major problem as I just about caught him just about to take another 7 tablets even though he’d already had them for the morning. He got confused what day it was and forgot he’d already taken them. As a family we have decided to remove all medication and one family member pops in twice a day and gives them to Dad. Does anyone know if there is a timed / lockable pill box available?
Hi, if your pharmacist is helpful they will dispense medication in a dosette box or an automatic pill dispenser. There is also an online pharmacy that will do that as well, just do a quick google search to find them. If they aren’t an option then you can buy your own Dosette box or automatic pill dispenser and set it up weekly. I haven’t seen/ experienced the automatic pill dispenser but I have a feeling I might be trying it!

Lucy Lockett

May 20, 2024
Hello, my Dad was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s last year. He has been prescribed medication to slow it down which we are happy about. His short term memory is extremely bad sadly. I just ask if anyone has ideas about controlling medication. He takes 7 tablets in the morning and 5 in the evening. Up until a couple of weeks ago we had weekly pill box and he would take them himself with breakfast then at teatime. This has now become a major problem as I just about caught him just about to take another 7 tablets even though he’d already had them for the morning. He got confused what day it was and forgot he’d already taken them. As a family we have decided to remove all medication and one family member pops in twice a day and gives them to Dad. Does anyone know if there is a timed / lockable pill box one o

A friend of mine sent me a link for a programmable tablet box that was recommended to her by her mums social worker. I can’t post the link as I am only new to this forum and this is my first post but the name of it is Pippa Tipper Pill Dispenser. Unfortunately her mum went into a home before she got a chance to try it but it might be worth trying. Hope this helps.

Anne19

Apr 5, 2023
Hi @DianeMarie sorry to hear your dad has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s. My mum became the same with her medication and mixed up days and therefore doses. We also got a Tabtime medication dispenser from Amazon and after a tricky initial period of her getting used to it - where she would ring 30 mins before it was due to go off to let us know it wasn’t working!! this worked really well. She took tablets morning and evening and you can set the times. An alarm sounds and light flashes until it is picked up and the tablets are tipped out. Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you x

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
A friend of mine sent me a link for a programmable tablet box that was recommended to her by her mums social worker. I can’t post the link as I am only new to this forum and this is my first post but the name of it is Pippa Tipper Pill Dispenser. Unfortunately her mum went into a home before she got a chance to try it but it might be worth trying. Hope this helps.
Hello @Lucy Lockett and welcome to the forum. Thank you for offering advice to another member. When you are ready you might find it useful to post a little about your situation in the - I care for a person with dementia - area. I have attached a link below.