Preventing a passport application

Bluemeadow

Jul 1, 2022
Does anyone have experience or has managed to flag their loved one as vulnerable with the passport office so they are prevented from receiving a passport?

My dad is fixated on returning abroad to a mobile home he no longer has. Most recently he travelled to the airport by train with no money or ticket and the police intervened due to confusion. Early last year he has attempted to get there by car and ferry and spent 11 days trying to get there ending up hospitalised for 4 days and with his car being confiscated by the Spanish police. As a consequence of this I had reported his passport lost - the police took it off him at the airport. Now I am concerned he may attempt to get a new passport, he would struggle but if he had help he could manage an application. The police suggested I flag to the passport office and they referred me to social services as any flagging of vulnerable people that should not have a passport need to some from them however Social services tell me they have no such process. Luckily the GP has advised DVLA revoke his driving licence due to his confusion and inability to manage his diabetes, so he has no licence or no car. But he is constantly calculating the cost of fuel and looking for saving every penny to get a car and seems to have forgotten he has no driving licence.

Has anyone been in this situation or can offer any guidance specifically in regards the passport office?

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
HM Passport Office will usually only stop a passport if you have a court order to do so.

You could try offering Passport Office evidence of past events.

they referred me to social services as any flagging of vulnerable people that should not have a passport need to some from them however Social services tell me they have no such process.
There's at least one case of social services preventing a member moving a PWD to mainland Europe citing its duty of care and no guarantee of care standard if PWD moved.

Last edited: