Paying for dementia care - a financial assessment

David77

Mar 1, 2024
My mother, who cares for my father - he's living with Alzheimer's disease (diagnosed ~6 years ago) - is filling out a financial assessment form from the council for non-residential services. Although my mum is incredible taking care of him, the situation is proving impossible without outside help and she wants to explore whether he could visit a day centre for a couple of days a week. We think it might be good for him (albeit a logistical nightmare) and it would certainly be good for her. We know this is the first step in a journey that, well, no one wants to take, and no one knows the direction they're heading in. But it's happening...

We have read that the assessment should only take into account the finances of the person who needs care. And the only exception to this is where it's financially advantageous to them to be assessed as a couple. However, the end of the form states: "When completing this form you should be aware that this authority may in individual cases, wish to consider whether you have sufficient reliable access to income and savings beyond those held in your own name, for the purposes of considering your financial circumstances. Therefore please confirm that you and your partner share and have access to each others resources. Please tick. If no, please give details why you do not have access to each others resources."

I know this is a mine-field, but if anyone has any experience or advice, we'd be eternally grateful. Many thanks.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @David77

Ive not had to sign anything like this when OH had a financial assessment and Ive not heard of anyone else having to do it either.
Are you in UK?

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @David77 and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. I haven't come across anything like this. My wife's financial assessment took account only of her income and savings. These were all in her own name as in 40 years our only joint asset was our house. If I had been asked the question I would have answered 'no' on that basis. There may be others here who have come across this in their local areas.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
In my opinion it looks as if LA are looking for others that they can persuade to help pay!! I'd only put down pwd assets and accounts. Joint accounts will be assumed to be 50/50 split

David77

Mar 1, 2024
Thanks so much to both of you. It did strike us as unusual given everything else we've read. We've been advised that joint accounts are a 50/50 split, and they do have one of those. And other accounts are in each of their own names. Thanks again, this is all very helpful!

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Mm ...do you think if your mum is heavily dependent on your dad's finances,older people often are, then it might be worth saying. ? You've said it's non residential care, assume you mean care at home.
I've not had to do these forms yet but I'm basing my opinion on what I've read . You decide🙂

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
That's appalling! It seems like a slippery slope to saying that ALL a couple's assets can be used if one of them needs paid care. This is 100% NOT the current rule that states it's only the assets in the name of the person requiring care that counts.

Is this how things are going to go? :oops:

Phil2020

Oct 11, 2020
Looks to me like a local authority (LA) 'trying it on'. It's interesting that the form states " ... you should be aware that THIS authority may in individual cases ... " (My capitals). Call me cynical but if the general rule is that the only finances taken into account are the PWDs - and my understanding is that that's the case - then this use of language looks very much like the local authority trying to make itself an exception to that rule.

And as for the final " ... please give details why you do not have access to each others resources ..." that just comes across as an invasion of privacy and possibly an implicit threat or at least harassment. What;s it to do with them?

You might want to speak with the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) about whether this is an issue of data protection or an invasion of personal privacy. Ask the LA under what authority/legislation this information is being requested; and if they persevere, answer with something simple like 'we maintain private arrangements'.

Don't get caught up trying to answer trick/convoluted questioning. Respond with as little as possible. Let the LA prove it's entitled to the information and keep copies of all correspondence should the ICO want to take a look or if you need to launch an appeal.

David77

Mar 1, 2024
Thanks everyone. Reaffirms this is definitely not the norm. Looking at the detailed form, in the section that requests details of bank accounts, savings, capital etc., it also asks for those of the spouse/ partner. I suppose we need to decide whether to include that or to push back.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Hello @David77 , Would you be prepared to share how you proceeded with this claim and let us know the outcome? I'm interested to know how the LA justified asking the question and I'm sure others will find it useful too.

Has you claimed attendance allowance ( AA) for your dad and the council tax disregard for severe mental disability? The money will be useful to help with care costs if you haven't already claimed.

Thanks

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PumpkinAlice