Advice re Attendance Allowance please

Kath610

Apr 6, 2022
Maldon, Essex
My husband has late stage Alzheimer’s and has been in a care home since January. I informed the DWP when he went in for six weeks emergency placement then again when it was made permanent in March.
I assumed the Attendance Allowance would drop at this point but I have had a letter addressed to my husband at the care home, informing me that the amount has been upgraded and will continue to be paid into his account.
That’s good news but is it right? I don’t want a letter from the DWP in a few months time telling me that we owe them money. My husband’s care home fees are supported by Social Services.

Thank you to @Grannie G and the other people who responded so quickly.
I have just spoken to someone from the DWP who tells me that these are computer generated letters, sent out every year, and do not mean that the amount stated in them is going to be paid.
The payments will only be made if the person in care becomes self funding.
This is not clear at all from the letter so it may be useful for anyone else on here who receives one! Hope this is useful

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Kath610

When my husband was in residential care and his fees paid by the Local Authority I was told his Attendance allowance would be used towards his fees and it was no longer paid into his account.

I think you are right to be concerned and I would contact the LA as soon as possible.

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
i think as his care needs are being met by the council, you need to claridy it with them, i dont think he will be entitled to claim

Think its the DWP you need to get hold over, before overpayment becomes unmanageable

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
AA continues to be paid if self funding.
Is he self funding, the 6 weeks could be different.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Mum was LA funded and her attendance allowance stopped. I would get it checked asap

Kath610

Apr 6, 2022
Maldon, Essex
Mum was LA funded and her attendance allowance stopped. I would get it checked asap
Thanks @Jale I did check it and was told it’s a computer generated letter and that the amount stated will not be paid into my husband’s account! It’s really misleading so I edited my original post above , hoping it will be useful to someone else.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daphne60