Passed from pillar to post!

Pollywobble

Nov 13, 2023
I'm getting really confused by the system that seems to pass us from pillar to post! We got a letter from the Memory Clinic last week saying they have closed his file because he's with Integrated Services. Then today I got a call from Integrated Services saying they are passing him back to the Memory Clinic! His mental health issues are apparently understandable given his circumstances ( he can barely see, his memory is limited, he eats very little because he's scared to swallow, can't follow conversations and has hallucinations and delusions.)
I'm beginning to wonder if I should just soldier on 24/7 and forget about diagnosis and help.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Persevere if you can @Pollywobble

I know it`s a minefield, even more than it was in my day but somewhere along the line you will benefit once your names are on their books.

Keep reminding them where you are. If it`s thought/assumed you are managing, you will be easy to forget.

yoy

Jun 19, 2022
Just keep on at them, and let them know that each of them is passing you back to the other, and that you need help. Sometimes you just have to keep being a nuisance until you can get someone to finally sit up and get on board.

Spottydog

Dec 8, 2023
I don't have many answers but we are in a similar situation. Lots of referrals to all kinds of services and clinics but little tangible help. The most helpful person so far in our journey has been the community matron.... Perhaps see if the doctors surgery has one.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
The squeakiest wheel gets the most oil

Think I read that on here but sadly it's true . Good luck, squeak away

Pollywobble

Nov 13, 2023
Persevere if you can @Pollywobble

I know it`s a minefield, even more than it was in my day but somewhere along the line you will benefit once your names are on their books.

Keep reminding them where you are. If it`s thought/assumed you are managing, you will be easy to forget.
Thank you so much Grannie G. I will keep trying despite the frustrations.

Pollywobble

Nov 13, 2023
Just keep on at them, and let them know that each of them is passing you back to the other, and that you need help. Sometimes you just have to keep being a nuisance until you can get someone to finally sit up and get on board.
Thank you Yoy. I don't find it easy to keep pestering, but I need to persevere. I think I keep hoping it's all a big mistake!

Pollywobble

Nov 13, 2023
Thank you all for your advice. Just had a phone consultation with GP because OH wasn't accepted for the Integrated Services Centre because he had a borderline thyroid result which GP already said was not an issue. They wrote to the GP and unsurprisingly, GP gave the same answer. So I took the opportunity to push for an answer about his brain scan...dementia.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
At least you know now.........
Is the GP referring back to the memory clinic?
You need to know what type of dementia it is and whether there is any treatment

Pollywobble

Nov 13, 2023
At least you know now.........
Is the GP referring back to the memory clinic?
You need to know what type of dementia it is and whether there is any treatment
Thank you.
Weirdly, it's such a relief to know, as I was beginning to doubt myself due the support worker saying it might be a case of popping a thyroid pill and we'll all be laughing! The support worker has referred us back to the Memory Clinic and closed our case.
So my next battle begins...to find out the type of dementia...🤔🙄