New member - dad with vascular dimentia

NewbyT

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 18, 2023
Hello and welcome @Kathleen s

Your poor dad. It's wonderful that he has you looking out for him.

You might like to post more about his situation in our 'I care for a person with dementia' forum area here: https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/i-care-for-a-person-with-dementia.70/

I just wanted to let you know that you are in the right place to receive support and advice. Dementia Support Forum is an online peer support community which means there is always somebody around to lend a listening ear.

DaftDad

Apr 8, 2024
I am looking for support to help with my dad who lives on his own with this condition
Welcome! My Dad also has vascular dementia and lives alone at home. We have carers going x3 a day, which he hates, but has been good in terms of him now taking his medication correctly; they try to track if he is eating at least something, and there have been some days when he DOES need their input and he allows them to help him physically. If the carers were not there/available, then I would have to trek out 40 miles and bring my husband to help me.

Does your Dad have care visits at home? What kind of support do you think he and you would need, ideally?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome from me too @Kathleen s.

I was also wondering if your dad has care visits at home. If not then it would be a good idea to have a care needs assessment done. If you are in England then this link might be of help -

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Kathleen s and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to read about your dad, it must be so difficult to try to care for him from a distance.
I think that the first thing that you should do is to arrange a needs assessment for your dad and possibly a carers assessment for yourself by contacting your local adult social services. I have attached a link below as to how you would go about this.

It is also a good idea to ensure that the various legal issues are sorted, such as updated wills and Power of Attorney for both finance and health, these need to be done whilst the person has the capacity to understand what they are signing.

Your dad might also be entitled to Attendance Allowance, and again I have attached a link about this.

I hope that this helps a little, it is always hard to know what to do following a diagnosis of dementia so please keep in contact with us if we can help in any way.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALL CAPS COMPUTERS