need to find someone to visit Mum in care home

alisoncc

May 22, 2024
Hi everyone my 88 year old Mum has dementia and is resident in a care home in Chesterfield. She gets a bit bored and would love a trip out once in a while. I am her only child and I live in the USA. I need to find a person who can go and take her out for a coffee or to a shop once a week for an hour or so. I have approached agencies but they are more geared up to the physical needs rather than social aspects and I need to be able to have the same person go and visit every time for continuity. Does anyone have any bright ideas?
Thanks for thinking

duchess55

Sep 1, 2021
Hi everyone my 88 year old Mum has dementia and is resident in a care home in Chesterfield. She gets a bit bored and would love a trip out once in a while. I am her only child and I live in the USA. I need to find a person who can go and take her out for a coffee or to a shop once a week for an hour or so. I have approached agencies but they are more geared up to the physical needs rather than social aspects and I need to be able to have the same person go and visit every time for continuity. Does anyone have any bright ideas?
Thanks for thinking
Age Uk. I had them for two hours twice a week to sit with my husband while I went swimming. It cost me £20 per hour and it was worth every penny. I had the same lovely woman every time, I did ask that We got the same person and they were true to their word. I am pretty sure that they would do this sort of thing.

Saralara

Mar 10, 2024
Thanks for thinking
I believe organisations like Mind and Age UK have befriending services. May be useful to contact them to see if they cover the area that your mum is in. I have no further information but hope this might be helpful.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019

Hello @alisoncc and welcome to the forum. It must be difficult to ensure that your mum is happy and content from a distance. I have attached a link above to AgeUK which gives details of their befriending service in the Chesterfield area.
Also if you Google Befriending in the Chesterfield area you will see that there are other options, none of which we can vouch for unfortunately. I do hope that this helps a little.