There is an aura in the room
A vacant black hole in the gloom
The person sits in his chair
Cannot respond; it isn't fair.
I do so much these days
I am at a loss how to cope.
He needs so much prompting
To lift his gaze and help.

Vascular dementia takes its toll on the carer as does any kind of dementia. I am wrung out being unfit myself and I don't ask for much help, but he simply cannot do what he used to do and it is progressing. I read this poem to him and said it was a bit worse than how things are but was how I felt. He agreed it was partly true and although he apologised and I appreciated that, it was not an apology I was after. He was diagnosed in January.
It is a sad situation.

Last edited:

sapphire turner

Jan 14, 2022
Hi Fotoliza
I feel your pain, my husband has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and he doesn’t respond much. He can answer questions but has no opinion on any options so it’s hard to know what he might prefer. I have to guess what might be best for him, but it is a big responsibility xxx

Fotoliza

May 28, 2023
Hi Fotoliza
I feel your pain, my husband has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s and he doesn’t respond much. He can answer questions but has no opinion on any options so it’s hard to know what he might prefer. I have to guess what might be best for him, but it is a big responsibility xxx
@sapphire turner Sending a hug. Thank you for your reply. Look after yourself too, hard though it is. xx