Mixed dementia diagnosis

vb1982

Jan 25, 2024
Taken Mum for her diagnosis appointment this morning and she has been diagnosed with mixed alzheimers and mized vascular dementia. We have been advised to have carers in as mum lives alone. do an LPA and think about assisted living. Mum doesnt think we need any help but we are hoping she will come to terms with having some help. She has been having regular infections which seem to add to her confused. I feel relieved that we have an acutal diagnosis now as this has been going on for quite a while. It has still come as a shock though.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Hello @vb1982, welcome. It can be tricky getting a person with dementia to accept they need help, they dot think there is anything wrong. Maybe start with the idea of having a cleaner in to help out with heavy stuff like hoovering to get her used to the idea.
Definitely get the LPAs in place as soon as you can, providing your mum still has mental capacity as they can take a while but can save a lot of hassle in the future.
Contact social services and ask for your mum to have a needs assessment, they will want to do a financial assessment as well . Then you will have an idea of what I’d needed and who is going to pay for it.

vb1982

Jan 25, 2024
Hello @vb1982, welcome. It can be tricky getting a person with dementia to accept they need help, they dot think there is anything wrong. Maybe start with the idea of having a cleaner in to help out with heavy stuff like hoovering to get her used to the idea.
Definitely get the LPAs in place as soon as you can, providing your mum still has mental capacity as they can take a while but can save a lot of hassle in the future.
Contact social services and ask for your mum to have a needs assessment, they will want to do a financial assessment as well . Then you will have an idea of what I’d needed and who is going to pay for it.

vb1982

Jan 25, 2024
We are already in contact with social services and they have suggested 4 visits a day. We have also had contact from the Admiral nurses as well.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Admiral nurses are a good call.
Who would be funding the 4x care calls a day?
If your mum still has mental capacity, which she would need to do the LPAs then not even social services can make her accept care support. 4 visits a day is quite a lot and would signify a fairly high level of need.

Spottydog

Dec 8, 2023
I'm sorry to hear of your mums diagnosis. 4 visits a day sounds like quite a lot to start with and could be quite overwhelming but I guess it depends what she struggles with. If you haven't already I suggest applying for Attendance Allowance. If she gets that she will also qualify for a council tax reduction. LPAs are relatively easy to do online if it is a straight forward set up.

Jan48

Apr 25, 2022
Taken Mum for her diagnosis appointment this morning and she has been diagnosed with mixed alzheimers and mized vascular dementia. We have been advised to have carers in as mum lives alone. do an LPA and think about assisted living. Mum doesnt think we need any help but we are hoping she will come to terms with having some help. She has been having regular infections which seem to add to her confused. I feel relieved that we have an acutal diagnosis now as this has been going on for quite a while. It has still come as a shock though.
How long did it take for your mum to get a diagnosis pl? What tests and investigations she had. Am still waiting for my husband to get an appointment to the memory clinic. It does not seem he has been referred yet.

PammieA

Jan 17, 2024
We are already in contact with social services and they have suggested 4 visits a day. We have also had contact from the Admiral nurses as well.
That's really good support quickly.
Take a the support you are offered.

vb1982

Jan 25, 2024
How long did it take for your mum to get a diagnosis pl? What tests and investigations she had. Am still waiting for my husband to get an appointment to the memory clinic. It does not seem he has been referred yet.
I originally took her to the doctors September 2023, we then had a memory assessment appointment February 2024, two OT assessments after that, a few weeks apart and then we got the diogosis appointment letter about a month ago for the appointment we had on Wednesday 8th May. So around 9 months I suppose. Mum has had a lot of infections during this time which cause further confusion so there has been doctors appointments inbetween as well.