increased agitation during the night

IzzyW

May 23, 2024
my husband is up frequently during the night. he gets up to use the bathroom hourly. the biggest issue is that he wants to shower during the middle of the night and is angry when I won't let him. Any suggestions for how to redirect this behavior?

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @IzzyW and welcome to the forum. You must be exhausted if your husband is getting up so many times each night and no one can keep up that level of disturbance for long. First of all i think that it would be a good idea to discuss the frequent trips to the toilet with his GP to see if there is some medical reason for that.
The wish to shower during the night is possibly linked to the frequent bathroom trips so if they could be reduced the urge to shower might be reduced. You could also ask the GP if they would be willing to prescribe some anti anxiety medication to see if that would help.

Jan48

Apr 25, 2022
my husband is up frequently during the night. he gets up to use the bathroom hourly. the biggest issue is that he wants to shower during the middle of the night and is angry when I won't let him. Any suggestions for how to redirect this behavior?
My husband is the same but gets up anout twice usually 2 am and 4 am. He has a benign prostrate gland but did not want any medication to reduce his trip to the toilet. On top of that he has a weak bladder and keeps drinking water during the night. When he gets he keeps checking door, windows and anything on stand by he switches off. On some occasions he has used the shower I just let him get on with it, he is still highly functional he does not need any help from me yet. Am having a chat with his gp to see whether anxiety medication can help. He is 82 and undiagnosed and just been referred to memory clinic. OK during the day but at night becomes anxious and agitated.I sleep on my own but still come in the bedroom to wake me up asking me whether have checked all door and windows etc.

TeacherSue

May 5, 2024
Speak to your local memory clinic. My husband has anti-depressants which help him sleep at night due to excessive wandering. I am a teacher and you can't teach a class on 2 hours sleep>