'If I get like that, put me in a home'

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
We had a productive meeting with the celebrant on Thursday. I managed to get my brother on Zoom, so we could properly discuss things with her. The good thing is she is exactly the sort of person mum would like, which made me feel a lot happier about things. The celebrant at my uncle's funeral was dire, and made the whole thing a bit of a trial. We also have some music that I think reflects her and also gives a nod to my late dad.
I have done a first draft on an eulogy, which is now with my brother so he can add things and edit. I still haven't found a good way to round it off though.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Your doing well @Sarasa. It's so important to have a celebrant that you feel is going to do a good job. We knew, exactly the same, when the celebrant came to discuss my Mum's funeral arrangements that he would do a great job, and he did! Mum would have approved.
I know what you mean about rounding off the eulogy. I think for me it was one of the most emotional parts, as I wanted to sum Mum up as best I could , the sort of person she was. All those present said I did a great job and it was Mum all over.
But that's was me ... you may well find something of a different angle to finish. Good luck though - it's not an easy thing to do. Thinking of you.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
That’s great @Sarasa

Im glad you feel you can trust the celebrant.

At my Dads service of thanksgiving we had the ‘officials’ do as little as possible so we knew family who knew Dad would well represent him!

ScaredyCat

Mar 31, 2019
Well the funeral is booked and I'm seeing the celebrant on Thursday to sort out a service. Unlike me, mum wasn't religious, so going for a totally secular service. I also saw a solicitor today to get things moving regarding probate etc. It should all be quite straight forward and I could do it myself, but I'm worried I'd miss something vital, so I'd rather someone else do it.
While sorting out pictures for a slide show at the funeral I cam across these photos of mum aged 14 and 30. I find it helpful to remember she wasn't always an elderly woman with advanced dementia.

View attachment 69256 View attachment 69257
Thank you for the photos. They are wonderful. X

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Thank you everyone. I think everything is as sorted as it can be. I had a weird dream about mum last night that I’m still trying to work out.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Thank you every one. Yesterday's celebration of mum's life went as well as such sad occasions can. The service was exactly what we wanted, and in some ways it was more like a theatre performance than a funeral, as we had a wonderful prose poem written by someone that met mum at my brother's wedding 25 years ago, and the slide show of pictures of her life that my husband put together was great. We then headed to a local pub that did us proud and where my 14 year old nephew played some great jazz piano. My brother his wife, son and daughter then came back to join my husband, son and me for an evening of games playing and reminiscing.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
sounds very good service. glad it went well. its nice when the younger generation take part, my younger son played the clarinet at my mums funeral.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
I'm glad that everything went well @Sarasa it sounds like you really did your mum proud, celebrating the life that she lived, and the person she was, in the best way possible.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlisonML