Hello

Aqua Faba

Apr 24, 2024
Hello New Community

I'm so grateful this exists, our family found out my Mum has early onset Alzheimer's 2 days ago, they all seem to be taking it in their stride, including my Mum, perhaps they had already accepted this was the most likely outcome of her 'senior moments' or are in shock, but i'm finding it odd no one is having an emotional reaction to what is awful news, even if we have caught it early.

Can anyone relate?

jfhn05020

Apr 19, 2024
Hello New Community

I'm so grateful this exists, our family found out my Mum has early onset Alzheimer's 2 days ago, they all seem to be taking it in their stride, including my Mum, perhaps they had already accepted this was the most likely outcome of her 'senior moments' or are in shock, but i'm finding it odd no one is having an emotional reaction to what is awful news, even if we have caught it early.

Can anyone relate?
It's normal for family members to react differently to news like this. They may be processing their emotions in their own way, even if they appear calm on the surface. It's okay to feel overwhelmed, and seeking support is important. You're not alone.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome from me.
As has been said, people react differently to bad news, my (now late) mum was as cool as anything when told she possibly had breast cancer, rest of the family were in tears.
She managed to stay the strongest out of all of us and luckily the tumor turned out not to be cancerous and was removed.
People react differently for me I've inherited mum's optimistic side and when my wife was diagnosed with early onset AZ over 10 years ago I did what mum taught me and just looked for solutions to problems when they cropped up rather than anticipate them and worry.
Good luck and keep posting. K

Aqua Faba

Apr 24, 2024
It's normal for family members to react differently to news like this. They may be processing their emotions in their own way, even if they appear calm on the surface. It's okay to feel overwhelmed, and seeking support is important. You're not alone.
Thank you, i know that to be true, but i feel alone being the only one reacting emotionally, its good to just share and to hear back what i thought, if that makes sense; my mind is a muddle at the moment! Thank you for replying, i appreciate it

jfhn05020

Apr 19, 2024
Thank you, i know that to be true, but i feel alone being the only one reacting emotionally, its good to just share and to hear back what i thought, if that makes sense; my mind is a muddle at the moment! Thank you for replying, i appreciate it
You know, sometimes everyone has moments when they feel drained, when they feel like giving up... I suggest you do something for yourself (take a walk, meditate, eat something delicious... relax), but try not to linger in a state of despair... You're needed by your loved ones.

Watson1

Sep 4, 2023
I have alzheimers diagnosed 8 moths ago if your going to memory clinic for testing the patient by that time nows things are not right . i figure i was on the road at least 2 years before. you get the validation the doctors give options. you take meds that may slow your decent and others to stem the other side affects of alzheimers. you tell your friends you loose some. you just your schedule because you spend more time keeping track of yourself. you stop driving your son eyes the mini cooper ok fine.you paint in your studio because art helps you learn about your alzheimers. and a place to escape to when the brain rush is to much. and the border collie and the terrier still need to go out. well no the alz was not what i had in mind but i must be me the best i can for as long as my own brain will let me off we go......

Aqua Faba

Apr 24, 2024
Hello and welcome from me.
As has been said, people react differently to bad news, my (now late) mum was as cool as anything when told she possibly had breast cancer, rest of the family were in tears.
She managed to stay the strongest out of all of us and luckily the tumor turned out not to be cancerous and was removed.
People react differently for me I've inherited mum's optimistic side and when my wife was diagnosed with early onset AZ over 10 years ago I did what mum taught me and just looked for solutions to problems when they cropped up rather than anticipate them and worry.
Good luck and keep posting. K
Thank you Kevinl, I'm glad you can be optimistic and its stood you in good stead. Can i ask how your wife is now 10 years in? Mum is 74 so could be here for 10, 20 years more, i know everyone is different but i'd be grateful to hear your journey together? Mum has been prescribed medication that will help with symptoms but not slow the disease

Aqua Faba

Apr 24, 2024
I have alzheimers diagnosed 8 moths ago if your going to memory clinic for testing the patient by that time nows things are not right . i figure i was on the road at least 2 years before. you get the validation the doctors give options. you take meds that may slow your decent and others to stem the other side affects of alzheimers. you tell your friends you loose some. you just your schedule because you spend more time keeping track of yourself. you stop driving your son eyes the mini cooper ok fine.you paint in your studio because art helps you learn about your alzheimers. and a place to escape to when the brain rush is to much. and the border collie and the terrier still need to go out. well no the alz was not what i had in mind but i must be me the best i can for as long as my own brain will let me off we go......
thank you watson1, i'm glad you have your art and your dogs

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Sadly both wife and mum (the reasons I started to post on here) have passed away now, my wife would be 71 this year, me I'm her toy boy, I won't be 70 until next year.
I've been on the site here for something over 10 years as a member now and posted first because my wife got early onset early 50's.
Diagnosed mid 50's when it was obvious it wasn't just the menopause which is what the doctors originally treated her symptoms as being the reason for it.
It ended up I brought my mum to live with us and she helped care for my wife. K

Aqua Faba

Apr 24, 2024
Sadly both wife and mum (the reasons I started to post on here) have passed away now, my wife would be 71 this year, me I'm her toy boy, I won't be 70 until next year.
I've been on the site here for something over 10 years as a member now and posted first because my wife got early onset early 50's.
Diagnosed mid 50's when it was obvious it wasn't just the menopause which is what the doctors originally treated her symptoms as being the reason for it.
It ended up I brought my mum to live with us and she helped care for my wife. K
I'm sorry for your loss, thank you for sharing and for being here for us new community members