Hello to everyone.

janp80

Jul 2, 2024
My name is jan and my sister was diagnosed with dementia last year. Her husband is her main carer
It has been a difficult year as my sister has deteriorated quickly and depends on her husband for everything. He cooks cleans washes shopping and everything in between. Initially I took her to the gym and swimming 2 a week but she is unable to do this. Also we were in 2 choirs but this has stopped. This is an outline into the onset of her illness.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @janp80 and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to read about your sister’s diagnosis this must be difficult for both you and her husband.

If he has not already done so I would suggest that your brother-in-law contacts the local adult social services to arrange a needs assessment for your sister and a carers assessment for himself, just so that he can get some help with the caring duties.

He could also consider applying for attendance allowance on behalf of his wife which could be used to pay for such things as a cleaner or gardener to reduce his work load.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @janp80.

I’m so sorry to read about your sister. It sounds as if her husband is heading for being overwhelmed. I agree that if an assessment hasn’t already been down then now is the time to arrange one. This link explains the process -