He finally agreed

JoannePat

Jan 24, 2019
After weeks of "events", from stumbles to rants to screaming and crying. My dad has finally decided that he cannot cope at home with the level of care that I can give him and has gone to a Care Home.

This was the second attempt, the first one he called around friends and family saying that I was "committing" him and that he didn't want to go.

I really didn't want to be the one to make the decision. He throws everything back in my face.

I now have so many mixed feelings. I know that he is getting the care and support he needs, it is such a loving and happy environment (my mum was there for 18 months). Routine meals and pill taking, regular visits from the GP and community nurse. Someone to keep him company 24 hours a day. I just hope that he really does settle and although he will never "improve", I hope that he maybe puts a bit of weight on (he is probably about 40kg).

So my first visit will be on Friday, I am already nervous about how he will be. Happy, angry, sad, wanting to come home?

If I get out in one piece I will update you all.

Thank you, as ever, for reading my thread, thank you for your thoughts and hugs to you all,

Jxx

Ellie2018

Jun 26, 2023
The difference between want and need is really important. Someone may not want to but for their own well-being they need to. Hopefully he will settle and see the benefits of having someone around him all the time.

Kristo

Apr 10, 2023
I’ve been where you are, just take each day at a time. Your dad will pick up in your emotions when you visit so be calm, happy and upbeat (act if you need to!) and time your departure to coincide with a mealtime or just nip to the loo and leave. You may feel guilty but it’s only because you love him. Good luck, let us know how it goes x

TMH

Nov 21, 2022
After weeks of "events", from stumbles to rants to screaming and crying. My dad has finally decided that he cannot cope at home with the level of care that I can give him and has gone to a Care Home.

This was the second attempt, the first one he called around friends and family saying that I was "committing" him and that he didn't want to go.

I really didn't want to be the one to make the decision. He throws everything back in my face.

I now have so many mixed feelings. I know that he is getting the care and support he needs, it is such a loving and happy environment (my mum was there for 18 months). Routine meals and pill taking, regular visits from the GP and community nurse. Someone to keep him company 24 hours a day. I just hope that he really does settle and although he will never "improve", I hope that he maybe puts a bit of weight on (he is probably about 40kg).

So my first visit will be on Friday, I am already nervous about how he will be. Happy, angry, sad, wanting to come home?

If I get out in one piece I will update you all.

Thank you, as ever, for reading my thread, thank you for your thoughts and hugs to you all,

Jxx
I think the right decision has been made. Don't feel guilty no matter what your dad says or throws at you. You know the home situation couldn't carry on. If you have good visits with dad, it's a win, if you have a bad visit, try not to worry too much because it will happen. You know dad is now safe and that, at the end of the day, is what counts. Put your feet up, have a cup of tea and try to relax 🥰