Food

JSpil

Aug 30, 2023
My partner was diagnosed with Vascular Dementia 2 years ago , he his a big man and has always had a big appetite.
I am noticing that he is struggling to eat some foods especially Meat he is coughing and tells me it’s as if something is stuck it’s quite distressing to watch and for him ..

Is anyone else experiencing this ?

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
There could be a few reasons why this is happening and not all related to dementia. I would suggest that he see the GP in the first instance and if there is no obvious reason ask for a referral to the Speech and Language Therapy dept .
Many people with dementia have issues with eating as food can feel or taste different and so he might need to adapt his diet to accommodate this.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
I think the phrase to look up is Primary Progressive Asphisia (if I've spelt that right).
It is quite common, minced meat helps, my wife had issues with pasta too, I think it's down to not chewing properly, same with sweets they can be a choke hazard. K

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I think the phrase to look up is Primary Progressive Asphisia
I think you are thinking of aphagia, which means you are having problems with swallowing
(Primary Progressive Aphasia is a rare type of dementia where you lose language)

Yes, @JSpil - go and see the GP and (assuming there is nothing else wrong) get a referral to the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Team, who (despite their name) are the experts on all things to do with eating and swallowing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesie