First timer!

lynt68

Apr 19, 2024
Hi, my name is Lyn. My 86 year old Mum was told this week, that she has Alzheimer's. We had suspected something has been wrong for the past few years but still the diagnose has hit us hard. Any help or support would be gratefully accepted.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @lynt68 and firstly welcome to this friendly and supportive forum. There is a wealth of shared experience of dementia here, so I am glad you have found us.

I am sorry to read about your Mum's very recent diagnosis. It's tough for sure, to get the diagnosis, even if you were half expecting it. I am attaching a link which you may find useful for information:
In practical terms, it would be wise to get Lasting Power of Attorney organised for both the Property and finance one, and the health and welfare one, as this will make things easier for you further down the track.
This is a very recent diagnosis and your thoughts and emotions will be all over the place right now. Take each day as it comes, but as Alzheimer's is a progressive disease, as you will be aware, now is the best your Mum will be. Does she understand her diagnosis? Has any medication been suggested? (Again you will know there is no cure, but in the early stages some medications can be proposed as they may, just may, slow the progression).
Thinking of you, and if you have any particular questions, do ask. Members here really do want to help, and you'll always find understanding and a listening ear.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome @lynt68

Yes, it does hit hard as you will be feeling what is known as anticipatory grief. However, you have come to the right place for information and support so stick around and have a good look around the site.

Ask any questions you may have at any stage as there is a lot of wisdom here.