Confusional arousal

Jan48

Apr 25, 2022
My undiagnosed 82 yrs old husband is ok during the day but at night he wakes up very confused e,g yesterday he was asleep but woke up after midnight he told me he had to sort the rubbish. Told him the rubbish has been out away ready for collection today, he went to check I was right. Sometimes he goes in a rage and says he wants to break something up if I say something he will do it and then cannot remember anything in the morning. Woke me up at 2 am, I sleep in the guest room and told me to get up to eat. Told him it is 2 am and we have already eaten and am not going to eat. He left me alone and Ilet him getting on with him and went back to sleep. In the morning I asked him about it and he told me he cannot remember anything so there is no point of discussing something he does not remember. Am a bit concerned if during one if these episodes and I say the wrong word he will hurt me and will not remember the incidence. He did say he will not hurt and has never done so but during his episodes he does not have any control. I used to lock the door but if it is locked he comes banging and that makes him angry. I also pretend to sleep when he calls. If it gets worse I will have to speak to go and ask for some medication. He does suffer from anxiety and obsessive about security. He is also under investigation urgently for abnormal liver enzymes and gp is not interested at the moment about his memory. More concerned about his physical heath. He does not have any symptoms, no pain and eats well. When he dies fall asleep he does sleep soundly. He is still highly functional but these night episodes are giving me cause for concerns. It only happens when he gets up twice during the night to use the toilet. Anxiety tablet might help but there is also the worry of being drowsy and having a fall. He still insists there is nothing wrong with him. Just wondering if any carers experiencing this with their LO. Thanks

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
My undiagnosed 82 yrs old husband is ok during the day but at night he wakes up very confused e,g yesterday he was asleep but woke up after midnight he told me he had to sort the rubbish. Told him the rubbish has been out away ready for collection today, he went to check I was right. Sometimes he goes in a rage and says he wants to break something up if I say something he will do it and then cannot remember anything in the morning. Woke me up at 2 am, I sleep in the guest room and told me to get up to eat. Told him it is 2 am and we have already eaten and am not going to eat. He left me alone and Ilet him getting on with him and went back to sleep. In the morning I asked him about it and he told me he cannot remember anything so there is no point of discussing something he does not remember. Am a bit concerned if during one if these episodes and I say the wrong word he will hurt me and will not remember the incidence. He did say he will not hurt and has never done so but during his episodes he does not have any control. I used to lock the door but if it is locked he comes banging and that makes him angry. I also pretend to sleep when he calls. If it gets worse I will have to speak to go and ask for some medication. He does suffer from anxiety and obsessive about security. He is also under investigation urgently for abnormal liver enzymes and gp is not interested at the moment about his memory. More concerned about his physical heath. He does not have any symptoms, no pain and eats well. When he dies fall asleep he does sleep soundly. He is still highly functional but these night episodes to older peoples mental health and see if they can do are giving me cause for concerns. It only happens when he gets up twice during the night to use the toilet. Anxiety tablet might help but there is also the worry of being drowsy and having a fall. He still insists there is nothing wrong with him. Just wondering if any carers experiencing this with their LO. Thanks
you can get tablets that dont make them sleepy. anti-depressants can calm them down without being sleepy. my husband takes memantine at night which doesnt make sleepy but it calms down his aggression. maybe ask for a referral to older people mental health for an assessment