Eye Tests

SharoH

Nov 7, 2023
Hi everyone
I recently took my OH to Specsavers for his yearly eye test and had pre-warned them that he has Alzheimer’s and may have difficulty processing information etc.
I went in with him and the test got underway but when it came to the part that he had to cover one eye then tell the lady whether his vision was better with lenses A or B, he was totally confused. The lady was very patient and kept repeating the question but I’m not convinced my OH could actually differentiate between the two, so the result being she said his sight had declined.
I’m not sure whether to try and get a second opinion but wondered whether anyone knows of anywhere that I could take him that has experience with patients with AZ and performs the test in a different way.
His eye sight seems ok and I don’t want to spend money on updated glasses if his current ones are ok.

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
Maybe get a cheap pair of glasses off the internet with the prescription and see what the results are.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
@SharoH I used the Specsavers at home service for my husband. The technician was used to dealing with people who had dementia and was so patient and understanding.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The health of the eye will have been checked, how big was the prescription change?
If small and his eye sight seems OK I would not bother getting new glasses.

Was an autorefractor or retinoscope used?

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
@SharoH I used the Specsavers at home service for my husband. The technician was used to dealing with people who had dementia and was so patient and understanding.
Can I ask if Specsavers at home would give me an eye test too?
Also my mum doesn't really have a formal diagnosis from a memory clinic - she did spend over 3 weeks in hospital and it was obvious to them she had dementia - would Specsavers be OK with this?

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Can I ask if Specsavers at home would give me an eye test too?
Also my mum doesn't really have a formal diagnosis from a memory clinic - she did spend over 3 weeks in hospital and it was obvious to them she had dementia - would Specsavers be OK with this?
I think that if the service is available in your area that they would test your mum, not so sure about yourself, but worth asking.

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
I've just found https://www.mobile-optician.co.uk/about-us
Mobile opticians based in Warrington who cover the North West of England. They have experience with dementia patients.

I've just asked my mum about it - "no" was the answer (the answer's always no!).
I'll work on it.
They do private work too, so I should be alright.

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @SharoH

What you need is an optician who is able to accurately test small children - it is done the same way for adults with cognitive difficulties.

If you know anyone with a young child who wears glasses ask them where they go. Otherwise look for an optician who displays children's glasses prominently and even better if they have a toy box in the waiting room. Small independent opticians are often better for this than the large chains. When you book the appointment say that he will have to be tested in the same way as a young child.

SharoH

Nov 7, 2023
Hi @SharoH

What you need is an optician who is able to accurately test small children - it is done the same way for adults with cognitive difficulties.

If you know anyone with a young child who wears glasses ask them where they go. Otherwise look for an optician who displays children's glasses prominently and even better if they have a toy box in the waiting room. Small independent opticians are often better for this than the large chains. When you book the appointment say that he will have to be tested in the same way as a young child.
Thank you, that’s very useful.