Experiences with trazadone please

Pet26

May 19, 2024
Hello - just wondering what peoples experiences with trazadone were for their loved ones. Did it help with mood/anxiety/ agitation/ sundowning as there are the main issues I’m dealing with

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Pet26

My husband took Trazadone. It helped a little. That`s all I can say.

I doubt there are any medicines which do what we really need them to do and everyone has such individual reactions to drugs, depending on their make up, their general health and what other drugs they are taking.

It`s a case of trial and error and tweaking to get the best dose for that person.

We were forever tweaking my husband`s drugs with support and consultation with his doctor.

If you feel you want better, get back to the doctor.

Annamalina

Apr 28, 2023
Hello - just wondering what peoples experiences with trazadone were for their loved ones. Did it help with mood/anxiety/ agitation/ sundowning as there are the main issues I’m dealing with
My mum is on trazadone x3 but I don’t always manage to administer all 3 capsules as when she sleeps I don’t wake her up. I believe it helps with sleep and sedation but not with anxiety or agitation, at least not any more - advanced stage with challenging behaviour. As I have been offered any other alternatives she is still on trozadone

LewyDementiaCarer

Mar 5, 2024
Hi we had a lot of success with trazadone administered for the lady we care for who is late-end stage Lewy Body Dementia. We give it about 40 minutes before bed time, and it seems to have a sedative quality that kicks in about 30 minutes later, which has hugely reduced night disturbances, and acting out dreams etc. and overall anxiety/agitation that was getting unmanageable has now pretty much gone.

Pet26

May 19, 2024
My mum is on trazadone x3 but I don’t always manage to administer all 3 capsules as when she sleeps I don’t wake her up. I believe it helps with sleep and sedation but not with anxiety or agitation, at least not any more - advanced stage with challenging behaviour. As I have been offered any other alternatives she is still on trozadone
What alternatives have you been offered please

Pet26

May 19, 2024
Hi we had a lot of success with trazadone administered for the lady we care for who is late-end stage Lewy Body Dementia. We give it about 40 minutes before bed time, and it seems to have a sedative quality that kicks in about 30 minutes later, which has hugely reduced night disturbances, and acting out dreams etc. and overall anxiety/agitation that was getting unmanageable has now pretty much gone.
Thank you

Annamalina

Apr 28, 2023
What alternatives have you been offered please
We haven’t been offered any ( sorry, my
Mistake in the reply). My
Mum is also on lorazepam “as and when required” but since it’s required every day it has become pretty regular up to 4 times a day!