Dementia or Depression/Anxiety...

Misty85

Apr 8, 2024
Just had initial GP appointment with my Mum. She did really well in the cognitive tests he set (though she had been practising and told him so!) In her car afterwards I found a big list of key dates written on kitchen roll, with lots of incorrect calculations trying to work out Grandchildren's ages :-( GP asked me questions and for examples and listened well to my input. He has referred to memory clinic, but said it could also be due to anxiety or depression as they often present in a similar way for people who are older. Nothing is quite sitting right with me and I don't know why - he gave her a name and address to remember for 5 minutes which she did, aside from the house number. This seemed great to the GP, but in the 2 hours following the appointment she has kept asking repeatedly what the name and address were, along with what the doctors name was. I guess we have the referral, which was what I was hoping for, to get some support whatever the cause is....

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Misty85 GPs are not the best for diagnosing any form of dementia and it is good that they have referred your mum to the memory clinic. You know your mum best. If possible please try to accompany your mum to the memory clinic appointment. It might be useful if you were to keep a list of your concerns to pass to the consultant before the actual appointment. In the meantime if you have any queries please keep posting on the forum.

Fugs

Feb 16, 2023
I understood that those simple cognitive tests are not a way of diagnosing dementia, but rather a guide for the need for further tests, such as an MRI or CT scan, or a lumbar puncture. It sounds as if you have got an appointment at the Memory Clinic, so that is the correct place for the appropriate diagnosis. Please note that you should be able to send a letter voicing your concerns to the Dr prior to the appointment, if you ate uncomfortable raising your concerns at the appointment.

Misty85

Apr 8, 2024
I understood that those simple cognitive tests are not a way of diagnosing dementia, but rather a guide for the need for further tests, such as an MRI or CT scan, or a lumbar puncture. It sounds as if you have got an appointment at the Memory Clinic, so that is the correct place for the appropriate diagnosis. Please note that you should be able to send a letter voicing your concerns to the Dr prior to the appointment, if you ate uncomfortable raising your concerns at the appointment.
Thank you, that's helpful. Yes I think we are heading in the right direction. I had sent a letter to the doctor prior to the appointment, but also had to answer questions there. Made me wonder if he had read it at all!

Misty85

Apr 8, 2024
Hello @Misty85 GPs are not the best for diagnosing any form of dementia and it is good that they have referred your mum to the memory clinic. You know your mum best. If possible please try to accompany your mum to the memory clinic appointment. It might be useful if you were to keep a list of your concerns to pass to the consultant before the actual appointment. In the meantime if you have any queries please keep posting on the forum.
Thanks so much. I have been keeping a log and will go with her to the appointment. I'm sure there will be many more questions - thank you for the support

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Don't start the vitamin tablets before the blood tests though, they might cover up for a vitamin or mineral deficiency at the time of the test. K

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
It's not easy getting a diagnosis @Misty85 but I think we know when something is wrong and not just someone getting older, so keep pushing.
G.P's are what it says general practitioners, most don't really seem to be clued up on dementia from my experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeacherSue