Changing the name of Dementia Talking Point

Youngfogee

Mar 26, 2012
Does anyone know what the situation is regarding bequests in wills to organisations which change their name?

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Does anyone know what the situation is regarding bequests in wills to organisations which change their name?
I would think it's up to the person administrating the will to research and then carry out the deceased wishes as near as possible, basically the same as gifting Ann Brown instead of Ann Smith who married a Mr Brown.

EDIT
In this specific case I don't think the Alzheimer's Society name is being changed, just the name of the peer support forum.

Last edited:

Trina68

Sep 5, 2020
Personally I don’t feel the name change is much different or makes much difference Help, Talking, or Support they all strive towards the same goal or outcome 😀

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Currently a Google on either Dementia Forum or Alzheimer's Forum has a first hit of
2023-09-26_161238.png

Searching on dementia support or Alzheimer's support needs more digging to find the forum, in the first case Alzheimer's Society is not first hit.

Abysmal

Oct 17, 2021
Personally I don’t think I would have looked at this group if I’d seen the word ‘forum’ as I always think of a forum as being formal whereas ‘talking point’ seemed friendly and informal which is what I needed at the time. To be able to read what others are experiencing and the advice given has helped me greatly in the past and I’m sure will continue to help myself and others as we go through the journey with our loved ones. This group is great as it is regardless of what it’s name will be.

SUNTA

Aug 26, 2022
I’m happy to see the name change from Dementia Talking Point to Dementia Support Forum.

Talking Point could have sounded more like a chat room to those using search engines whereas Dementia Support Forum makes the purpose of the forum much clearer
Agreed!

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
I also agree, I have temporal dementia. Whilst I have similar syptoms to other forms I pretty much feel out there alone.
I'm sorry you feel alone @Cogitosue
Posting on here and getting replies will help you feel more in the community on the forum, at least, I hope so.

The Alzheimer's Society doesn't in my view need to change it's name at all.
There are already other charities out there, such as
- the Dementia Society
- Dementia Carers
- Dementia Carers Count

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The Alzheimer's Society is not changing its name.

The name of Talking Point is being changed to Dementia Support Forum which in my opinion is much more appropriate for this forum.

KANET

Feb 2, 2020
if you are changing TP maybe look at changing charity name to include other dementias. has been raised several times as doesnt seem to include any of the rest at face value. theres more than one dementia so could the name be reflected in that
Hi, just want to add my comment i agree the Charity name should reflect all forms of dementia

debrina

Sep 11, 2008
Birmingham
I agree. The Society's name should be changed to include and represent all types of dementia .
I have been saying that for many years, the name Alzheimer's Society does not reflect the many, many different types of dementia, and I know of many people who do not know that, many people think that Alzheimers is the only form of dementia, and are amazed and disbelieving when you tell them it isn't.

Last edited:

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi, just want to add my comment i agree the Charity name should reflect all forms of dementia
Hi @KANET - the change of the name of the Alheimer's Society is NOt on the table.
There are other charities already called Dementia UK, Dementia Carers, Dementia Carers Count amongst others.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
I have been saying that for many years, the name Alzheimer's Society does not reflect the many, many different types of dementia, and I know of many people who do not know that, many people think that Alzheimers is the only form of dementia, and are amazed and disbelieving when you tell them it isn't.
Hi @debrina - the change of the name of the Alheimer's Society is NOt on the table.
There are other charities already called Dementia UK, Dementia Carers, Dementia Carers Count amongst others.

Maslow

Oct 17, 2023
Maslow, have just joined, but sounds as if the new name could make it easier to access. Let’s wait and see.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Maslow it`s good to know you had no difficulty finding the Dementia Support Forum

I hope you find it a worthwhile experience

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Yes, I wish you much success, the AS team. What's really surprised me, is you've had no enquiries about furniture - sofa, so good.