Brain injury and Dementia

xena1

Jun 28, 2024
Hi
I'm looking for any support or advice if possible.
My Mum is 73 and 3 years ago this August she suffered 2 ruptured brain annuerysms which were succesfully clipped, then hydrocephalus for which she now has a VP shunt.
She moved into a neurological care home 18 months ago and at the time was walking with a frame and we were getting her in and out the car for short trips. In between then and now she has had a decline both mentally and physically. Recently shes developed Epilepsy (she started having seizures where it looked a faint but would involve nausea, and temporary facial drooping) she's now taking Keppra, and we've now been informed she has dementia too.
Her decline has been quite dramatic the last few months, she spends all her time awake in a wheelchair with 3 hours of physio per week, unable to do hydrotherapy now because of risks. She is hoisted into the bathroom as she has very little body strength to allow for rotunda transfer or frame etc and has 2 carers to wash her, she's double incontinent and struggles to drink from a cup so is given a straw. Food wise she has little appetite and will use her hands to feed herself and will occasionally use cutlery. She looses focus very easily and is very tired (not sure if this is the side effects of Keppra)

The brain injury has very similar symptoms to dementia but its her decline from her baseline that has now prompted the medics to diagnose dementia.

The brain injury caused a lot of short term memory loss, however they staff have now noticed that her long term memory has also started to become affected.

I am looking for any help, support or information from anyone who can offer it, especially people in a similar unfortunate situation.

It is absolutely heartbreaking seeing my Mum decline so fast, it feels like she's slipping away and I want it to slow down.

Thank you for reading

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
First of all hello and welcome from me.
I've had viral encephalitis and it's not fun, all better now sat at home alone in the kitchen posting on here.
Trust me it's not something you want to get my memory is shot to pieces but only certain pieces of time.
I had covid in a coma, my wife passed away, I went to my daughter's wedding in France and a whole load of other stuff and have no memory of any of it or any memory of the time I spent in hospital and in a nursing home.
I didn't have most of the complications your mum does, just a few seizures.
As I say all better, at home alone, no care package, no medication I take care of myself and some days go to work with my neighbour.
Just for the record I'll be 70 next year.
Where there's life there is hope, weekend starts soon and so I might be posting from my boat tomorrow, get a lift down there from a neighbour and go for a cruise down the canal.
I hope it mum can get better like I have done as I say where there is life there is hope. K

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @xena1. It must be such a worry for you. I can imagined how heartbreaking it must be.

I’m not familiar enough with your situation to offer help or advice but I’m sure others will share their own experiences of similar situations.

In the meantime I wish you strength.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @xena1

My OH doesnt have exactly the same problems as your mum, but does have a traumatic brain injury from a road accident which caused epilepsy and then, about 12 years ago started getting multiple neurological problems along with cognitive decline.

Any sort of brain injury can massively increase the risk of developing dementia, unfortunately. Also, Im sorry to say that there is no way to slow the decline down. Dementia progresses at the speed that it does - in some people it is quite slow and in others it is very rapid.

I would suggest that you read around the forum as although dementia (whatever the cause) is unique to each person, there are common themes and problems, which you may find helpful posts about. People on here are very helpful, so if you cant find answers just ask. Is there anything specific that is causing you a problem?

You can also use this forum to vent when it is all too much for you - we all understand
xx

xena1

Jun 28, 2024
Hello @xena1

My OH doesnt have exactly the same problems as your mum, but does have a traumatic brain injury from a road accident which caused epilepsy and then, about 12 years ago started getting multiple neurological problems along with cognitive decline.

Any sort of brain injury can massively increase the risk of developing dementia, unfortunately. Also, Im sorry to say that there is no way to slow the decline down. Dementia progresses at the speed that it does - in some people it is quite slow and in others it is very rapid.

I would suggest that you read around the forum as although dementia (whatever the cause) is unique to each person, there are common themes and problems, which you may find helpful posts about. People on here are very helpful, so if you cant find answers just ask. Is there anything specific that is causing you a problem?

You can also use this forum to vent when it is all too much for you - we all understand
xx
Thank you so much for your reply xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @xena1

I’m so sorry to hear about your mum

My father fell and hit his head when on holiday. He refused to seek medical attention. Sone years later his speech became slurred and he sounded as if he was drunk. He was not a drinker.

By the time my mother managed to get him to see a doctor he had developed hydrocephalus. The brain damage affected his speech. He had a stent fitted but it wasn’t enough to control the production of fluid so had a second one fitted.

This too was unsuccessful and he was in hospital awaiting surgery for a third stent when he collapsed going to the toilet and died.

He was 53.

I must emphasise he died in 1971. Dementia was never mentioned but my time on the forum tells me this was what the fluid and constant pressure on the brain caused.
I also know strides in medical knowledge have been made since then and there may be treatment I’m unaware of

What I can say which is endorsed by the previous replies to you is everyone is different and the effects and progression will be at different rates according to the individual.

Seek as much help as you can get for your mum but I doubt the tide can be turned back I understand how hard it is for you and wish you strength

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suesie