View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Ending up in Hospital

Prior to the hospital admission, she'd had a scratch on her leg which, left untreated, turned quite nasty. The district nurses were coming in to change dressings a couple of times a week but the wound still got infected and she was put on a course of antibiotics. I hadn't been on here then and didn't realise that an infection would make the dementia much worse. She got quite panic stricken about when to take her pills because they weren't in the dosette box. To cap it all off, she and I must have ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Vascular Dementia and early onset of Alzheimers..what to expect.

Hi all, this is my 2nd posting.

I am so worried what to expect in the future with my Dad's, recently diagnosed diseases and would really appreciate someone to share with me their own experiences of living with a family member with these illnesses and how this as affected all concerned.

My other concern is that I have an 8yr old son and he and his Grandad dote on each other but have now started to think should i let me Dad be alone with him unsupervised which he does ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. The Starting Point

Funny that. I created this blog for me then the first thing I put on it is a reply from the main forum. There seems to be so much to learn and deal with at the moment.
    At the beginning: I guess it's about 18 months ago that I started to notice some little things which, in retrospect, were early signs that things were going wrong. MIL was always the birthday queen but she started to forget her grandchildren's birthdays and needed reminding about cards. Still, she was pretty independent when ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Long and Winding Road

New development MIL not answering the phone when it rings. Got some brilliant advice which is here:
    FEELINGS

When your MIL makes a call herself she is motivated to have a conversation - she has chosen to make the call and has gone through the steps needed to speak to that person. When someone rings her she is less motivated because she didn't initiate the call, and it has distracted her from what she was doing. Just the startle factor of the ringing might be enough to upset ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Am I mad?

My dad is 84 and mum is 82 they both have Alzheimer's - Mum has got very childlike and dads memory is really bad. The question is: I am thinking of taking them to Mallorca for a holiday, I will be taking them on my own but my two kids (kids!!! they are 30 and 26) live there. They love their Nan and Grandad and I know would support me while out there but am I mad to think of taking them away from their comfortable surroundings, they are still just managing at home, although I do drive 4 hours ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized