Alternative to call genie video calling

Helpme121

Oct 13, 2023
I was hoping someone could help, I have found a product called call genie, which is perfect for my mum as she has dementia and hard of hearing also can not turn the tv on and pressing wrong button. call genie is £500, just wondering how other people connect to loved one, with this product I can turn on the tv when I call then turn it off, mum just has to sit there and speak.

Has anyone used this product or any cheaper alternatives please

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Helpme121 and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community. You'll find that our members have a vast array of knowledge about many areas of dementia. Unfortunately I have no knowledge about the technology you mentioned, but I am hoping that some of our more tech-savvy members will be able to help.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Likewise a warm welcome from me too @Helpme121 to this supportive forum. I too, have no knowledge of the product you mention, so cannot provide you with any help there either.
Just wanted to say hello really.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
There are folk here who use lots of technology - if you don’t get a reply soon do post again in a few days. Sometimes people are snowed under and not online when ur request pops up.

petethebottle

Apr 22, 2024
I was hoping someone could help, I have found a product called call genie, which is perfect for my mum as she has dementia and hard of hearing also can not turn the tv on and pressing wrong button. call genie is £500, just wondering how other people connect to loved one, with this product I can turn on the tv when I call then turn it off, mum just has to sit there and speak.

Has anyone used this product or any cheaper alternatives please

petethebottle

Apr 22, 2024
Hi. I just joined here. Did you buy the Call Genie in the end? Good experience or bad? We've had a MyHomeHelper tablet for a few months now and is useful for diary events and reminders, though clunky to program it and poor quality video calling. Surely there's a big gap in the market for an ultra-simple decent sized screen for video calls!

Toopie28

Jun 7, 2022
Hi. I just joined here. Did you buy the Call Genie in the end? Good experience or bad? We've had a MyHomeHelper tablet for a few months now and is useful for diary events and reminders, though clunky to program it and poor quality video calling. Surely there's a big gap in the market for an ultra-simple decent sized screen for video calls!
I have the Alexa Echo Show - 15inch. You can "drop-in" so no need for your LO to click anything.
You can use it for reminders and so on but I just used it to call and speak to Ma from the US. Works for now :)

faengelm

SMBeach

Apr 19, 2020
I use myhomehelper and find the video calling a waste of time. It crackles and crashes and makes terrible sounds, and that’s when it’s working. Sometimes just frozen screen. I’m looking for another way to video call too. I use FaceTime on dads mobile but occasionally that disconnects too.